Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Am I missing something?

• NotOstertag
  • NotOstertag's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
4 years 2 months ago #25109 by NotOstertag
College Basketball Power Rankings: There's chaos beyond the top five teams www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/sto...chaos-top-five-teams
via @ESPN App espn.com/app

When you read down to the rankings, the writer claims that KU has locked up a share of the Big 12 title. Then in Baylor's comments, he doubles down saying that Baylor has lost it's shot at a standalone title.

Am I missing something here? We're one up with two to play. If we go 0-2, we'd end the season at 15-3. Baylor can win out and finish 16-2. Using my limited math skills, 16 wins beats 15.

Shoddy reporting as it slipped it's way into the story twice.

Granted, if we win our next game we lock at least a tie, and a Baylor loss would give us sole possession. But until Baylor plays tonight, the outcome is still in question.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
4 years 2 months ago - 4 years 2 months ago #25110 by CorpusJayhawk
NotO, I think you misread the article. At least the one I read from your link correctly characterized the current situation with KU having a 1 game lead. On another note, I think there are two teams who have the capability of making a run in March that are getting only moderate love from the pundits. Michigan St and Arizona can be very very good. In Arizona’s case, they can also be quite mediocre. They are one of the least consistent teams in Division 1. Michigan St has lost a lot of games but they are mostly close games (with the exception of that inexplicable Purdue blowout). Kansas has been one of the most consistent teams in America since the first egg lay against Baylor. Over the last 13 games KU has been very consistent. Gonzaga is for real even though their record benefits greatly from a poor schedule. BYU is also a team that could make an Elite 8 run if they are hot. Dayton is for real but same SOS as Gonzaga. Kentucky is an interesting team. They have been pretty solidly a likely loser in the Sweet 16 all season but have really come alive. It is hard to gauge where they are currently but they may be a factor. Duke clearly has some weaknesses but also has lots of talent. I like the fact that if Kansas is on their game, they will beat anyone.

Finally, KU may win tat least a share of the Big 12 without even bouncing the ball. Texas Tech is in Waco tonight. If Tech can pull off the upset against a suddenly vulnerable Baylor team, we go into the TCU game on Senior night with a chance of winning an outright championship. Gotta love the way the schedule worked out this season.

Don't worry about the mules, just load the wagon!!
Last Edit: 4 years 2 months ago by CorpusJayhawk.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bayhawk

• NotOstertag
  • NotOstertag's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
4 years 2 months ago #25111 by NotOstertag
HA! They edited/changed it.

In the original story I read around 7:30 this morning, it said that KU had clinched a tie for the Big 12 in our summary, and then said that Baylor had lost it's shot for a title in their summary.

Obviously somebody caught it and he changed it.

Kind of like the story from a few days ago where the writer commented that HCBS was a shoe-in for the Hall of Fame. If "already in the hall" is a factor, I think he's got a good chance. ;)

Correct that we can "clinch from the couch" tonight. Baylor should win tonight, but they're coming off short rest and I think the TCU thing really shook them. I browsed a Baylor fan board and their fans are in meltdown mode. It would be convenient, though, if Baylor dropped one tonight as we'd be playing for an OUTRIGHT win on Wednesday / Senior Night.

Also, very disappointed that Senior Night is being relegated to ESPN's streaming service.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant