Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Well that was 2.5 hrs I like to get back in my life

• LKF_HAWK
  • LKF_HAWK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
8 years 2 months ago #1754 by LKF_HAWK
Court storming at the expense of KU is never easy to digest. Losing is never fun, but the way KU played and lost was most disheartening. KU's perimeter D was exposed like it was against MSU and OU. Like MSU game, when KU missed shots they forget that rebounding, FTs and taking care of the ball wins games. Frank, Devonte and Seldon were manhandled by WVa guards who were much stronger and quicker which is scary. Did I mention Thuggins ball is ugly and sets the game back 50 years. HCBS needs to toughen this team up or I fear teams will just hammer KU and bloody our nose like the Stanfords, WSUs, Temple, WVa. KU was lucky to win at AFH last yesr

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
8 years 2 months ago #1758 by Illhawk
Keeping in mind that this game looked like one of our most difficult from the minute the schedule was announced the loss hurts but I didn't expect 18-0.

The question is why were we outplayed so badly?
Some possible answers:

a) A travel weary team that was too tired to practice much last week
b) a team that really has trouble getting defensive rebounds
c) A team that has lived by the three point shot, and is bound to die by the three point shot
d) A team that stopped improving after the OU game and needed this to refocus on the work to be done
e) A team that needs one or two of Svi, BG and the freshmen bigs to get it if they want to go deep in the NCAA

The easy answer could be "all of the above" but I wonder which ones are more significant, in what percentage, and what other maladies we are dealing with?

• LKF_HAWK
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
8 years 2 months ago #1759 by LKF_HAWK
Agreed- I also did not expect 18-0, but the first L in league play always stings. This L was concerning given how the Hawks played. I hope this game is an outlier and the confluence of several factors such has physical and mental weariness. Also, as ugly as thuggins basketball is, give the Wva players tons of credit.

More
8 years 2 months ago #1762 by Kong
KU was sped up from the beginning. The frenetic style that is Press Virginia makes you think you have less time than you might actually have. Add to it the fact that they bump, jostle, run at you, and generally harass you, it creates a feeling that you have to rush everything.

As a result, you miss open shots because you believe someone is about to be on you so you rush the shot or there is someone on you bumping you as you shoot. As a result, you force passes that don't need to be made. As a result you either are worried about your dribble so much that you aren't looking to pass or you make mental mistakes and pick up your dribble at the wrong time. Essentially they took us out of our game and placed us squarely into the middle of theirs.

They crashed the boards every time with three or four players. Often they were fighting themselves for the rebound. We were worried about getting back more than getting the ball. So they got most loose balls.

If I were to look at this and find one word to describe where we came up short, it would be poise. We got caught up in their game rather than having the poise to play ours. The inflicted their will upon us.

Visualize Whirled Peas

More
8 years 2 months ago #1769 by Bayhawk
The loss of "poise" is a great analysis Kong.
Thanks,

RC

The end is nothing; the road is all.
-- Jules Michelet

• LKF_HAWK
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
8 years 2 months ago #1772 by LKF_HAWK
Kong thanks for your insight much appreciated