Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Updated Big 12 Standings

• CorpusJayhawk
  • CorpusJayhawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
4 years 2 months ago - 4 years 2 months ago #25055 by CorpusJayhawk
KU expands it lead in DPPI as the dominant No. 1. In the 56 computers in the composite, KU is 1st in 51, 2nd in 4 and stupidly 4th in 1.

KU's offense is up to 7th and their defense is No. 1. They are the only team in the top 10 in offense and defense. Only Kansas, Michigan St., Louisville, Duke and Arizona are in the top 20 in both. 15 teams are in the top 30 in both including Baylor and West Virginia. Baylor is ranked 28th in offense and 3rd in defense and West Virginia is ranked 27th and 5th respectively.

Baylor moves into 3rd in DPPI ahead of Duke who lost another game to a lower ranked team (Wake Forest ranked 96th). Duke is clearly vulnerable. Talk about inability to close a game. They were up by 9 points with 1:21 to play and lost.

Baylor moves ahead of Duke to No. 3 overall in the DPPI behind 2nd place Gonzaga.

West Virginia is slowly falling but their ranking is not hurt as badly since lots of teams are falling with them. They are ranked 14th overall.

UNC with a win over NC State is up to 83rd.

Michigan St. and Arizona continue to be the most underrated teams. Watch out for them in March. Michigan is also a team that could make some noise in March. And Creighton is for real.

San Diego St. does not deserve a No. 1 seed. Thier SOS is an embarrassing 109th. Of course, Gonzaga's SOS is 119th. I think they should have a rule that the SOS has to be in the top 75 to be considered for a 1 seed.

Oklahoma's victory over Texas Tech propelled them back into the NCAA.

As for the Big 12 race, this week's games did little to move the needle. KU and Baylor both won at home against the bottom 2 teams in the league. Baylor has the tougher schedule with Texas Tech at home next week and West Virginia on the road to close out the Big 12 schedule. Here are the probabilities for KU

Outright Championship -- 40.3%
Tie w/Baylor -- 38.7%
2nd place -- 21.0%

KU is up to a 23.7% probability of winning a National Championship and a 51.4% probability of making it to the Final Four. DPPI has Kansas, Gonzaga, Duke and Baylor in the final Four.

If you would like to view my data you will find it in the following links.

DPPI

Big 12 Probability Tables

Big 12 Probability Charts

Don't worry about the mules, just load the wagon!!
Last Edit: 4 years 2 months ago by CorpusJayhawk.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, jayhawk969, Socalhawk, porthawk, newtonhawk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.