Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Here It Comes.........Investigations

• Governors
  • Governors's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
4 years 2 months ago #24986 by Governors
Laying the groundwork to possibly diminish or distract from the season and the possible ending we are all hoping to see.

The Kansas Jayhawks are playing under a cloud of investigation with possible major sanctions looming. This storyline will accompany them as far as they go in the NCAA tournament—which could, in fact, be all the way.

www.si.com/college/2020/02/23/kansas-inv...ball-ncaa-tournament
The following user(s) said Thank You: JRhawk, Bayhawk, porthawk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
4 years 2 months ago #24988 by HawkErrant
Not gonna let it bother me tonight... or tomorrow or the next day.

Nothing I can do about it, so going to do nothing.

Now, tomorrow I might go as far as suicide... but I will not let it bother me tonight.

ROCK CHALK!

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

More
4 years 2 months ago #24989 by big g
am a little worried that the worst implication of the pending investigation will be the unconscious bias of the selection committee on where they put us. note lunardi’s bracket which has us with duke as 2 seed ( clearly the best two even tho we are the best one and played them once already this year) vs seton hall or maryland for goshsakes, and then having to play baylor, clearly, the second best (or best) team to get to monday night. now these arent the selection committees picks yet to be sure but if im them i wld do anything that avoids the embarrassment of ku winning it all in the year preceding a big penalty compounded by the brawl at AFH. too bad to have all this swirling in a year when are are legit great team and populated with really good guys. oh well maybe history will only remember to wins

More
4 years 2 months ago - 4 years 2 months ago #24993 by porthawk
Really frustrating to continue to hear about, but it doesn't appear to be anything new, I notice the article is by Pat Forde. Isn't he a Mizzou alum? (I could be wrong on that.) I also see that beneath the article, there are two other "negative" articles about KU (related to the brawl and ensuing suspensions). So...I'd like to be believe he's just trying to stir the pot.
Last Edit: 4 years 2 months ago by porthawk.

• konza63
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
4 years 2 months ago - 4 years 2 months ago #24996 by konza63
I didn’t read it, now that Port says it’s from Pat Forde. He is a nakedly anti-KU scoundrel (yellow journalist) from MU. He hates KU and has been writing visceral stuff against us forever.

What saddens and worries me is his crap got picked up in SI - which is still widely read by national sports fans, most of whom will not at all know the deep bias of its author.

PS: I’m deeply worried about this cloud hanging over us myself, and feel it will negate all that is to come - including a plausible national championship. If it comes to that, I hope Self has enough “dirt” on the entire NCAA and all programs to blow it all up. If we are going to be made out as the damn fall guy for all the muck in college hoops surrounding AAU, the shoe and apparel companies, and recruiting, then I say blow it all up. Call the NCAA’s bluff - with solid evidence, not ungrounded accusations - and see if this is really where they want to go.

PPS: All of this for one recruit. (Silvio) Was it worth it? I say not only “No,” but Hell No.

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.
Last Edit: 4 years 2 months ago by konza63.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, porthawk

More
4 years 2 months ago #25064 by mpeterson44
Here is an article today on the NCAA investigation. www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/co...ll-title/4871808002/

More
4 years 2 months ago #25066 by NotOstertag
Saw the USA Today article and it appears that the author doesn't realize that HCBS has ALREADY been inducted to the HOF, so that's a bit of a strike on his credibility.

I'm not going to let this rain on my parade.

I also think a key difference is that unlike other programs, KU has vowed to fight this. That's unusual. Normally programs just take the hit. The fact that we're fighting and pushing the NCAA back on its heels means that the NCAA will have to defend itself and prove its allegations. At the very least, I think the outcome will be far less than what the NCAA has said we did.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot
The following user(s) said Thank You: KMT

More
4 years 2 months ago #25067 by AZhawk87
Honestly, it wasn't a bad article. Talked mostly about how dominant Dok is, and just generally mentioned the investigation issue. I had all but forgotten about the investigation, and haven't heard it mentioned by announcers or reporters for quite some time.

I think the fervor over the FBI trials has died down, and it won't be a huge issue during the tourney. Recruits certainly don't seem bothered by it.