Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Nice piece on Dok from 538.com

• porthawk
  • porthawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
4 years 2 months ago #24849 by porthawk
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, Bayhawk, wardhawk, newtonhawk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
4 years 2 months ago #24851 by NotOstertag
Dok is certainly a freak of nature and Self has figured out how to maximize the Dotson/Dok combo. Choose your poison: put more bodies on Dok and Dotson will drive or find another open guy, or cover everyone else and Dok will be unstoppable 1-on-1.

I kind of look at it like the Perry Ellis era. For a while, Self was trying to get Perry to play somewhat out of position. Eventually Self changed how he was using Perry and suddenly he was killing it. This Self REALLY wanted to play 2 bigs and use the hi-low, but after realizing that it wasn't as effective as 4 guards, he adjusted.

This leads me to the million dollar question (actually several millions): where will Dok wind up at the next level. Taco Fall wound up in a 2-way contract between the Celtics and their G-League team. Dok is more skilled, but still pretty much a one-trick-pony. Not sure how that will translate to the NBA where a wider variety of skills are necessary.

Just shows-to-go-ya that what might make you a POY candidate at the college level, might not even get you a full time job in the Association. No doubt Dok will have extended career options even outside of the NBA, but at this point, I don't see him having a big role on any NBA squads.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot

More
4 years 2 months ago #24852 by big g
and relatedly given that dotson is on no mock drafts ive seen ( first or second round) is it possible we get him back next year?

More
4 years 2 months ago #24853 by NotOstertag
I'd say it's 60/40 he goes. I think Self is grooming Garrett to take over. Disclaimer: I'm almost 100% wrong with my NBA prognostications.

The logic is that Dotson went and tested the waters last year and got some advice on what he needs to do. This year, he's in the conversation for all kinds of awards, so he's very likely daftable, but not sure where he'd go if he goes.

If the end-of-year rumblings have him going in the 1st round, which I think is possible, he's gone. Kind of depends on how far these guys go in the post season, IMHO.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot