Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

WVU game thoughts and musings

• NotOstertag
  • NotOstertag's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
4 years 2 months ago #24836 by NotOstertag
I admit, halfway through the 2nd half, I was convinced we were going to lose. Thrilled that we got out of there with a W. If WVU had ANY offense at all, we'd have been done.

Huge kudos to HCBS for what was a masterful coaching job. With Dok and D-Mack both in foul trouble, going with 5 guards and a zone bought us some minutes. Managing Dok's fouls was masterful. Changing the plan to force the guys to get into the paint on every possession in the 2nd half was the right call. Bottom line, Self earned his paycheck last night.

As bad as our offense was, our defense was great, especially down the stretch. Seems our biggest flaw as a team is reliable 3 point shooting, and I'm not confident it will be fixed this season.

We expected an ugly game and we sure got one. Pre-game I told my wife that the winner would be the first team to 60 points, and we didn't even get that far.

Now the ball is back in our court. Baylor has to beat WVU on Saturday and I don't think Scot Drew would have won last night's game. Home court will help, but they still have to play in Morgantown. We just saw how tough it is to sweep WVU. OU isn't a pushover, but we have them in AFH, and OU is currently 1-4 on the road in conference.

After that, we have a quick turnaround to play ISU in AFH on Monday and then almost the full week to prep for our trip to Baylor. After WVU, Baylor plays @OU before they host us. Again, we have the easier road.

Speaking of road, both KU and Baylor are 6-0 on the road and only Tech and Texas have 2 wins. So 6 of 10 teams have one or zero road wins this year. The result: KSU, OSU, and ISU are now mathmatically elminated from winning the conference (9 games back, 7 to play for KSU and OU, ISU is 8 back with 7 left). TCU and Texas are next, both having 7 games left to make up a 7 game deficit. So it's entirely possible that half the conference will be "playing for pride" starting Sunday.

While Tech (4 back), WVU and OU (5 back) are still officially "in the race" at this point it's a Baylor/KU race and just a matter of who might play spoiler.

Final semi-unrelated note: just before game time, I saw an ESPN newsflash that included the words "Garrett" and "suspension" and nearly had a heart attack as we certainly need our Garrett in the lineup. Turns out it was Myles Garrett from the Cleveland Browns who's suspension was ended. Nearly had a heart attack.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, hairyhawk, Bayhawk, boulderhawk, jayhawk969, porthawk, murphyslaw, KMT, Wheatstate Gal, newtonhawk and this user have 1 others thankyou

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.