Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Why was it so hard?

• JhawkMom
  • JhawkMom's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
4 years 2 months ago #24823 by JhawkMom
Terrible passing. Terrible shot selection. Terrible free throw shooting. Where were our 3 point shooters? I don't think I've ever yelled at our guys so much.
Yes, I'm alive but it's been a tough four months battling pneumonia with a full Christmas week in the hospital while daughter from San Francisco visiting Thank God for basketball!!!!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
4 years 2 months ago #24825 by Bayhawk
Say "Hi" to your delightful daughter, get well for goodness sake, and count our lucky stars. This team doesn't have what it takes to go all the way, IMHO, but I hope they prove me wrong!!! :P

RCFL

The end is nothing; the road is all.
-- Jules Michelet
The following user(s) said Thank You: JhawkMom

More
4 years 2 months ago #24826 by DocBlues
We’re playing the 14th ranked team in the country. We’re playing in their barn. Good teams find a way to overcome adversity and win and that’s what the lads did. Get a grip, folks!
The following user(s) said Thank You: sasnak, wardhawk, KMT

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
4 years 2 months ago #24828 by HawkErrant
Good to see you, Mom, and glad you’re feeling better!

As to why...
1. WVU in Morgantown has always been a rough venue for KU. This year no different except that for just the third time time in 8 tries, KU leaves as the winner. (I note that this is also the second win in the last 3 years, and hope it is the beginning of a positive trend there!)

2. The WVU defense has always been a big reason why, and this year no different. During tonight’s game the talking heads mentioned that per Ken Pomeroy KU and WVU were the first and second best defensive teams in the country. For comparison, Corpus’ DPPI (linked in the pinned threads) has them ranked 2 and 4 defensively. Baylor sits between them at 3, while Corpus’ model has Virginia at #1. So we knew this was going to be just as much a struggle as it was in The Phog, and even more so.

Throw in that KU is not a great shooting or passing team this year, then combine that with facing a stellar defense, and you get a game like tonight’s.

Coming into this game KU had finished the easy part of the road schedule. This WVU game was the first of 4 road games left. Still to come are road games at
Baylor
Kansas State
Texas Tech.

The remaining schedule, all on ESPN except for @ KState (CBS) and the Senior Night game against TCU (ESPN+).
Sat Feb 15  Oklahoma        AFH                11 AM
Mon Feb 17  Iowa State      AFH                8 PM
Sat Feb 22  Baylor          Waco               11 AM
Mon Feb 24  Oklahoma State  AFH                8 PM
Sat Feb 29  Kansas State    Manhattan          12:30 PM(C)
Wed Mar 4   TCU             AFH#               7 PM+ SENIOR GAME
Sat Mar 7   Texas Tech      Lubbock            1 PM

Stay healthy, my friend! Need you on the digital sidelines rooting for ol’ KU!

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
The following user(s) said Thank You: JhawkMom, murphyslaw, KMT

More
4 years 2 months ago #24831 by murphyslaw
Hope you are completely well by now, Mom. Glad you made it through the tough times--with the help of KU basketball!
The following user(s) said Thank You: JhawkMom

More
4 years 2 months ago #24835 by JRhawk
Very glad to see you back - still shoveling snow here.