Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Q: Will Marcus Garrett have an NBA career?

• HawkErrant
  • HawkErrant's Avatar Topic Author
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
4 years 2 months ago #24658 by HawkErrant
Marcus is not a solid shooter, but we've talked about his defensive skills seemingly forever. This year we are seeing him becoming an excellent ball handler, showing the ability to drive and finish or pass to the open player, making him arguably our best assists guy. He’s big enough at 6-5, has a high hoops IQ and has another year to work on his shot, as well as further develop his already tremendous defensive abilities.

Your thoughts?

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
4 years 2 months ago #24661 by AZhawk87
I'll start by admitting that I loved Devonte, but had zero belief that he could ever make the NBA, let alone do what's he's done this year. So I'm hesitant to opine about Marcus.

I now believe that until a young man, who is not a superstar, matures into his mid 20s in mental and physical aspects, and gets out of college and into a pro system where he can focus on his skills every single day without the distractions of class and NCAA regulations, you can't accurately project their success.

Marcus is substantially better than Devonte was in terms of dribbling, driving, and finishing at the hoop. He's a significantly worse shooter. He's not the born emotional leader that Devonte is, but he leads in a different way. If he can get into the G League and work on his shot, he has a chance.

At the least, he'll play a few years somewhere then get into the coaching ranks.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, Bayhawk

More
4 years 2 months ago #24664 by hairyhawk
I know I am not a good evaluator. I agree with you that you really do not know until that player gets into a pro system and plays against other pros. My guess is he will get a chance to show he can help a team win. I said after his freshman year the difference between him making thousands and millions is his ability to shoot. Maybe I am wrong as there are other guards that have been successful that are not very good shooters.

More
4 years 2 months ago #24667 by porthawk
Ben Simmons comes to mind, but finding a true PG at 6'10" is hard to do.

Also, Rajon Rondo is another great PG that couldn't shoot. He an unbelievably high bball IQ...but then again, so does MG.

Time will tell.

More
4 years 2 months ago - 4 years 2 months ago #24670 by Illhawk
He can guard three positions ,has a decent handle and good hoops IQ. Probably can improve going left and already passes well. I'd say he has a more unique skill set than say Wayne Selden?

He will not work his way into the lottery He might be a second round guy who eventually has to decide between G league with occasional NBA stints or a nice lucrative career overseas?
Last Edit: 4 years 2 months ago by Illhawk. Reason: typo
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant

More
4 years 2 months ago #24673 by NotOstertag
I don't want to jinx the young man by offering an opinion since I'm usually 100% wrong when it comes to scouting for the NBA, but here goes:

Garrett is one of the top 3 players on a top 5 team. So that puts him somewhere in the top 100 or so prospects and I'm sure that some draft site actually has him ranked.

Unfortunately, I don't see him as an NBA pro today. Nevertheless he's only a Junior (can't wait to see a Garrett/Lightfoot led team next year as I love both of them), so he has one year to get even better. Therefore anything is possible.

Nevertheless as of today, I think he still needs to improve his shooting before he would get serious consideration in the draft.

That said, I think he's a lock to play somewhere. Could be the G-league of overseas, but I definitely see him getting paid somewhere, and over time, he could wind up in the NBA depending on how much more he develops.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant