Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Selfs gets KU W #490 in GIA! Next up: TT in AFH

• HawkErrant
  • HawkErrant's Avatar Topic Author
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
4 years 2 months ago - 4 years 2 months ago #24639 by HawkErrant
A workman-like, down and dirty, get 'er done game against the Cowboys.

The Jayhawks had a sub-par offensive performance.
They shot 47.6% from 2 (10-21) and 33.3% from 3 (11-33) for a combined 38.9% (21-54) from the floor.
Sub-par indeed!
On the Plus side they hit 12-15 (80%) from the FT line, had 15 assists, 8 blocks, and held their own on the glass ending up with 40, just one short of the OKS total.

Also on the plus side -- at least for KU -- OKS had one of its worst days on offense yet this year, so bad that it's hard to say it was all the stifling KU defense.

OKS shot 34.8% from 2 (16-46) and 11.1% from 3 (2-18) for 28.1% (18-64) total FG from the floor, well below the 42.2% TFG and 31.9% 3P averages they had coming into Monday's game.

Now getting blocked 8 times (and multiple more changed shots) might have had something to do with it, and also some pretty darn good perimeter defense by KU, but dang! I guess the uncharacteristic Monday Stillwater high of 68F really messed them up when the Frigidaire kicked in.

Can you say COLD?
(I knew you could .)

It's still hotter outside in Stillwater (48F as I write this) than the Pokes were in GIA on Monday.

But on the Plus side for OKS -- hmmm, never mind.

Monday's game was Game #599 in Bill Self's KANSAS coaching career, and the W brings him to exactly ...
100 wins to catch Phog.
Three (3) wins away from 700 for his head coaching career.
Ten (10) wins away from 500 for his KU career.
from the pinned Bill Self KU Won-Lost Record AY2019-20
WON-LOST                           
  as KU HC   NAME       (W-L%)   CAREER  (W-L%)
1. 590-219   Phog Allen (.729)   746-264 (.739)
2. 490-109   BILL SELF  (.818)   697-214 (.765)
   100 = Wins to tie Phog as winningest KU Head Coach in history.

This Saturday against Texas Tech in Allen Fieldhouse Self will coach the Jayhawks in his 600th game as KUMBBHC.

Game time is 3:00 PM CT on ESPN.

I think we can all agree that the Jayhawks are going to have to play a LOT better on offense Saturday to earn the win.
Tech's offense is nothing like last year's team, but it's defense is Top 10 caliber,
So, the question needs asking --

Are they ready to RUMBLE?!?!

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
Last Edit: 4 years 2 months ago by HawkErrant.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bayhawk, Socalhawk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

• HawkErrant
More
4 years 2 months ago #24642 by HawkErrant
KUAthletics.com: Jayhawks Defense Stifle Cowboys, 65-50

QUOTE OF THE GAME
"“I just knew I had to step up and do what I always do. Being in the starting line-up isn’t much different, You just have to be one of the guys to start it off right.” "

KU FRESHMAN CHRISTIAN BRAUN ON HIS FIRST-CAREER START
The laddie just missed a dub-dub, notching 16 points and 9 rebounds on Monday.

And after going 4-of-8 from 3-point range, he is 11-of-22 (50%) from 3 over his last three games.

KUAthletics.com: Post Game Notes, KU 65 OKS 50

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

• HawkErrant
More
4 years 2 months ago #24643 by HawkErrant
KUSports.com - Matt Tait: Behind 11 triples, No. 3 Kansas rolls past Oklahoma State for 65-50 road win

And I haven't found the story containing it yet, but I've read posts on other sites that Self says he thinks they'll be sticking with the 4 guard line up. Self: “That’s who we are as of today. I don’t see that changing.”

Makes the most sense, really.

KU has played better with 4-1, and with only Dave McCormack to spell Udoka, it just seems the smart thing to do.
Dok can get some rest with Big Dave back, and hopefully Big Dave can turn in some quality time in the pivot when he subs for Dok.

More
4 years 2 months ago #24644 by NotOstertag
www2.kusports.com/news/2020/jan/27/bento...at-/?mens_basketball

I think this is the story you're referring too.

Totally makes sense. Note that he's not taking the "2 bigs" option off the table entirely. It's still an available tool in HCBS's toolbox. Nevertheless, it's not how he's going to be starting games and it's no longer the primary offensive scheme. If there's an appropriate opportunity to use it to our advantage, it's ready to go.

Bottom line, we got through the McCormack suspension unscathed. Things will be relatively back to normal now.

BTW, we're undefeated on the road in the Big 12 and already have 4 wins in the bank. While we blew a home game, we're 1/2 a game shy of fulfilling the "win half your road games and win all your home games" formula that has proven to be the key to winning a championship. In fact, only KU and Baylor have undefeated road records, and nobody else has better than 1 road win. Using "Self math" it's officially a 2 horse race with KU and Baylor both at +3, WVU and TCU at +1, and everyone else at even or below. Maybe we'll get lucky and some Hilton Magic will happen on Wednesday with Baylor in town.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant

More
4 years 2 months ago #24645 by NotOstertag

I think we can all agree that the Jayhawks are going to have to play a LOT better on offense Saturday to earn the win.
Tech's offense is nothing like last year's team, but it's defense is Top 10 caliber,
So, the question needs asking --

Are they ready to RUMBLE?!?!

I think we can also be confident that Dok won't be playing under pressure not to foul, and we can likely look at Dotson not having to go to the bench with foul trouble. Both of those factors led to some scoring woes for us.

I'd also suspect that while we shot well last night from 3, that Tech will guard us better there and we won't get as many good looks. It was nice to see Braun and Moss get hot, and here's hoping that Agbaji continues to play like he did last night. If even 2 of the 3 of those guys can be consistent, we'll go far. Braun seems to be the most consistent, followed by Agbaji and then Moss...but that's just the "eyeball" test...no numbers to back it up.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot

• HawkErrant
More
4 years 2 months ago #24648 by HawkErrant
One of Agbaji’s better games despite his shooting woes (2-9, 2-7 3pt).

35 minutes, just 1 TO, 3-4 FT, 4 rebounds, a block, a couple of assists and just 2 PF while playing solid defense.

Love to see him add better, more consistent shooting (he’s at 42.5% FG for the season). With Braun getting confident and comfortable as he sees more PT, if Agbaji can add that boost to the KU arsenal, the Jayhawks will be pretty hard to beat.