Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Rule Change Needed?

• CorpusJayhawk
  • CorpusJayhawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
4 years 2 months ago #24543 by CorpusJayhawk
I am past the brawl. I am not trying to perpetuate that discussion. As far as I’m concerned, it has been adjudicated and we are on with life. But the post brawl life does beg the question, is there a need for the NCAA to make new rules governing late game blowouts. Specifically, when it is a clear blowout (pick a number, say up by 10 or more, or maybe 15 or more, whatever is reasonable) and the ultimate victor has possession and they are clearly going to runout the clock. Do you make a rule that says any aggressive defense is an automatic technical foul or even common foul? I see clear arguments on both yea and nay. I lean toward nay but given the predilection or governing bodies to often overreact, I could see the NCAA doing something. I do not totally discount the argument that some coaches have made that you never want to discourage players from competing until the horn sounds. My opinion is that argument is exceedingly weak but not totally devoid of merit. In the perfect world, coaches would put the fear of God in the players to not disobey and the clear order and command is to back off on defense when the clear victor has backed off from offense. I don’t know if this has happened anywhere else this season but it has happened twice to KU this season. If the NCAA decided to implement a new rule, I would be okay with it, although as I said, I would likely not advocate for it. There is a time and place for forced compliance and there is a time and place for voluntary compliance. I would prefer it to remain an area of voluntary compliance, but given the high publicity of this recent event, does that tip the scale for action by the NCAA? Thoughts?

Don't worry about the mules, just load the wagon!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
4 years 2 months ago #24544 by JRhawk
Yes, in those situations (whatever they are deemed to be), make it a technical foul for anyone to try and dribble out the clock. You must play hot-potato with the ball - continuous passing. None of this stuff of a 6'9" guy trying to be Marques Haynes.

More
4 years 2 months ago #24545 by AZhawk87
Nah. No new rules. You can't legislate dignity and a technical in a blow out is meaningless.

The coach should have enough leadership to control his players. Weber simply does not.

Also, the "play to the end" argument is ridiculous. No one actually does that in a blowout, and it is only used when a player does something like this last game and the coach is trying to protect the kid from ridicule.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant

More
4 years 2 months ago #24546 by NotOstertag
I have a different idea. I read a comment from a coach that essentially asked the question of "where was that defensive intensity for the past 39 minutes?" in regard to stealing the ball in that situation. In other words, you're down 20....it's too little, too late...and you're just embarrassing yourself.

My solution is to enhance the embarrassment for the idiot player. Once the steal is made, let the guy go. No defense whatsoever. In the meantime have every player point in unison at the player (on the floor and on the bench) point at the player and start laughing hysterically. Maybe then have everyone point up at the scoreboard in unison, and then point back at the player and continue laughing. I imagine the crowd would get in on the act and the offending player would look and feel pretty stupid.

Just find a way to publicly mock and ridicule the player into submission.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bayhawk

More
4 years 2 months ago #24549 by AZhawk87
Better yet, put Dok in. Have him hold the ball in one hand with his arm stretched way up. Let the garbage time players try to jump up and get it. If they do, more power to them.

That's the trick we all used when playing with our kids, and would provide comic relief.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bayhawk

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
4 years 2 months ago #24551 by HawkErrant
Since it is clear there will always be coaches — and their staffs — who cannot control their players, Die Oberherren will consider and approve a rule as follows:

GAME CONDITIONS
:10 left in regulation

Team with ball up by 10 or more
and not attempting to score.

SITUATION AND RESULTS
Any attempt by the losing defending team to steal the ball will be a technical foul resulting in the remaining time on the clock being reduced to :00 and the game declared over.

The defender who attempts to steal the ball will be automatically suspended for the team’s next game.

Draconian?
Sure.

What else would we expect from Die Oberherren?

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
4 years 2 months ago #24553 by HawkErrant
On a serious note, I would not be surprised if the NCAA came up with something like a penalty runoff in such situations. It’s a shame — and IMO a sad commentary on the state of sportsmanship and the failure of coaching staffs — but I can see player safety and the stressing of good sportsmanship being cited as the underlying concerns.

As for the question “is down 10 with :10 to go unreasonable?”, the greatest closing seconds comeback in NCAA history was Texas A&M scoring 12 points in the final :34 to go to overtime and the eventual win over N Iowa in the NCAA tournament back in 2016. In light of that, 10 points/:10 seems reasonable.

www.sportsonearth.com/article/168342466/...est-comebacks-aggies

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"