Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Jay Bilas weighs in on Tuesdays altercation.

• mpeterson44
  • mpeterson44's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
4 years 3 months ago #24531 by mpeterson44
The following user(s) said Thank You: jayhawk969, DocBlues, newtonhawk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
4 years 3 months ago - 4 years 3 months ago #24533 by HawkErrant
The link works, mp.

A great example of why I like Bilas.

Steal? Unnecessary.
Block? Unnecessary.
Taunting? Unnecessary.

But none of that unnecessary stuff was a fight. It contributed to an atmosphere where a fight might break out, but none of it was a fight.

The fight started when Kansas State players, led by Antonio Gordon and James Love III, left the Kansas State bench and physically went after De Sousa on the baseline. De Sousa was knocked down, and the fight began.

This^^^

After the game, we were all breathless and emotional in responding to the ugliness of the fight.

You heard it all: It is unacceptable. There is no place for such behavior in college basketball. This will not be tolerated. De Sousa should never wear a uniform in college again. Punishments should be swift and severe. Yet another embarrassment for Kansas after the NCAA notice of allegations, Snoop Dogg and now this. Kansas fought for De Sousa's eligibility after the FBI investigation, then he does this. Every issue was collated with this fight and rolled into one. It was First Take on steroids, and very little of it centered on the rules and precedent.

Then the calm, measured assessment, ending with...

These are young men who made errors in judgment in a heated situation. They were wrong. But they should not be thrown out with yesterday's trash. De Sousa is a young man who made a mistake, not a punching bag for those upset with Kansas or the NCAA. He needs proper support, as do McCormack, Antonio Gordon and Love.

It was ugly and unacceptable, but it is over. Fortunately, nobody got hurt. We should all move on having learned from it and being better for it.

An evenly balanced assessment.

Thanks, Jay Bilas.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
Last Edit: 4 years 3 months ago by HawkErrant.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bayhawk

More
4 years 3 months ago #24535 by CorpusJayhawk
Ditto and completely agree HE. Very measured and well stated article by Bilas. In a world where reason and rationality has yielded to emotions and existentialism, it is very refreshing when a reasoned and rational article is published. Thanks Jay.

Don't worry about the mules, just load the wagon!!

More
4 years 3 months ago #24539 by NotOstertag
When I saw this post, I was instantly interested because I really and truly respect Bilas. Once again he doesn't disappoint.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot