Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Big 12 announces suspensions

• CorpusJayhawk
  • CorpusJayhawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
4 years 2 months ago #24480 by CorpusJayhawk
Silvio 12 games
McCormack 2 games
James Love 8 games
Antonio Gordon 3 games

Que sera' sera'

Don't worry about the mules, just load the wagon!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: hairyhawk, Socalhawk, porthawk, Wheatstate Gal

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
4 years 2 months ago #24481 by HawkErrant
Thanks, Corpus.

Given the stool, I am sanguine about that ruling.

Silvio sits for all but the final game of the season at Tech.

Unfortunately KU won't have Big Dave for Monday's game in Stillwater.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

• HawkErrant
More
4 years 2 months ago #24482 by HawkErrant

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
The following user(s) said Thank You: murphyslaw

• HawkErrant
More
4 years 2 months ago #24483 by HawkErrant

The following user(s) said Thank You: murphyslaw

More
4 years 2 months ago #24484 by Illhawk
If the NCAA were handling this the ruling would have been announced about 2027.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bayhawk

• CorpusJayhawk
  • CorpusJayhawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
4 years 2 months ago #24485 by CorpusJayhawk
Currently I have Okie St. last in the Big 12 in my DPPI. They are actually just about even with Kansas St. K-State is 102 and OSU is 103. That would usually not worry me much but I do not understand the hex that OSU has on Kansas in Stillwater. I mean overall we are 19-10 against them under Self. But we are 5-7 in Stillwater. Only one of those game has OSU been ranked higher than Kansas. In the other 6 losses we OSU has been unranked and we have been ranked 1, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 8. No other team has been able to do this to us. We will be bringing one of our best teams into Stillwater and OSU is really on a slide and I show we are a 14.9 point favorite. Just ot give you a feel for my DPPI, if you take all 3036 games that have been played in D1, only 454 have played 14.9 points above (or below) expectation. That means KU should have a pure statistical probability of winning of 85%. When you include the actual consistency of the OSU and Kansas, that increases slightly to 87.9%. But this game scares me and not because we will be without Silvio and Dave. There is seriously something in the air or water in Gallagher-Iba that puts some sort of voodoo hex on our team. Look at this.

Games Self coached at KU where KU was ranked 8th or better and opponent was unranked:
Total: 276
Road: 78
Stillwater: 8

Record in those games:
Total: 245-31 (89%)
Road: 57-21 (73%)
Stillwater: 2-6 (25%)

For comparison:
Ames: 7-1
Austin: 3-0
Boulder: 4-1
Columbia: 2-1
Fort Worth: 4-1
Lincoln: 5-0
Lubbock: 6-1
Manhattan: 5-3
Morgantown: 1-2
Norman: 3-1
Waco: 5-1

Don't worry about the mules, just load the wagon!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, Bayhawk, murphyslaw

More
4 years 2 months ago #24487 by rainyhawk
What did McCormack do? It seemed to mostly be several KSU players and Silvio? And I thought there were at least 3 KSU players who came from the bench to start up?

• HawkErrant
More
4 years 2 months ago #24488 by HawkErrant
Manhattan Mercury article on suspensions

I went there to see what they were saying.

Biggest tidbit that I had not seen mentioned elsewhere -- Love's suspension does not begin until he is medically cleared to play again. But even when he has played (not this season) he has been a deep bench sub, scoring a total of 16 points in two previous seasons, appearing in 34 games and averaging 3.5 minutes per contest. (Why can I not get this idea of a hockey enforcer -- the guy whose main role is to butt heads and maybe take out an opposing player -- out of my head?)

Antonio Gordon (who has played in 16 games, averaging 19.7 minutes, 5 points and almost 4 rebounds a game) sits out starting immediately.

• HawkErrant
More
4 years 2 months ago #24491 by HawkErrant
This is why I have taken to calling Stillwater a bal-chatri (raptor, i.e., bird of prey, trap) for Self's KUMBB program.

Digging for a positive something, on the plus side KU is 2-1 in the last 3 games played in Stillwater. Won last year, lost the year before, won the year before that. Don't want to dig back much further as it just gets uglier, but it is a positive trend for those 3 data points.

My opinion is the something in the air in GIA is Bill's subliminal desire to not have to play there. Much like Roy always had issues with KU playing the tarred ones, I think Bill also is highly ambivalent at best about having to coach against his alma mater, and it can rub off on the guys if he's not careful.

CorpusJayhawk wrote: Currently I have Okie St. last in the Big 12 in my DPPI. They are actually just about even with Kansas St. K-State is 102 and OSU is 103. That would usually not worry me much but I do not understand the hex that OSU has on Kansas in Stillwater. I mean overall we are 19-10 against them under Self. But we are 5-7 in Stillwater. Only one of those game has OSU been ranked higher than Kansas. In the other 6 losses we OSU has been unranked and we have been ranked 1, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 8. No other team has been able to do this to us. We will be bringing one of our best teams into Stillwater and OSU is really on a slide and I show we are a 14.9 point favorite. Just ot give you a feel for my DPPI, if you take all 3036 games that have been played in D1, only 454 have played 14.9 points above (or below) expectation. That means KU should have a pure statistical probability of winning of 85%. When you include the actual consistency of the OSU and Kansas, that increases slightly to 87.9%. But this game scares me and not because we will be without Silvio and Dave. There is seriously something in the air or water in Gallagher-Iba that puts some sort of voodoo hex on our team. Look at this.

Games Self coached at KU where KU was ranked 8th or better and opponent was unranked:
Total: 276
Road: 78
Stillwater: 8

Record in those games:
Total: 245-31 (89%)
Road: 57-21 (73%)
Stillwater: 2-6 (25%)

For comparison:
Ames: 7-1
Austin: 3-0
Boulder: 4-1
Columbia: 2-1
Fort Worth: 4-1
Lincoln: 5-0
Lubbock: 6-1
Manhattan: 5-3
Morgantown: 1-2
Norman: 3-1
Waco: 5-1

More
4 years 2 months ago #24502 by NotOstertag
Ok, so the damage is limited.

Our next game is vs. Tennessee and is essentially meaningless. The committee won't ding us if we don't play superbly well knowing we're not at full strength, and Tennessee is a "good but not great" team. We can still very likely win that game and if we lose, it doesn't mean much as it's a non-conference game wedged into conference season time.

We will miss D-Mac at OSU and I'd hate to be on the wrong end of OSU's first conference win, but if you had to pick an opponent from the Big 12, it would be the Cowboys. The only way this could be better is if the game were in Lawrence, but bottom line D-Mac timed his suspension about as well as possible.

As for Silvio, I think we've all been waiting for him to "flip the switch" this year but it has yet to happen. We can certainly survive without his 2.6 points and 8 minutes per game. He's only played 20 minutes 2x this year (vs UMKC and vs East Tennessee) and only hit double digit minutes 4 more times and they've all been in blowout situations. He scored 11 points vs. Monmouth, 9 vs. UMKC and 8 vs. East Tennessee. Beyond that his stat sheet has a whole lot of 0's and 2's in the points column. At 2.8 boards per game, that line isn't much better.

Bottom line, Silvio wasn't having much of a season to begin with, and while we'd all certainly appreciate more depth, this really only means that Self will probably have to play 1 big/4 smalls more than he'd like (rather than 2 bigs).

We kind of dodged a bullet here, folks.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot

More
4 years 2 months ago #24506 by Kong
Just about what I said should happen, so I am good with it.

I said DeSousa 10
Love 10
McCormack 10
and anyone else who threw a punch 3

My 10 for McCormack was due to what I thought was kicking and stomping on someone who was down. Perhaps it just looked like it as he was stepping over seats and stuff. Who knows.

To be honest, I think this is fair.

Visualize Whirled Peas

More
4 years 2 months ago #24507 by NotOstertag
Agreed. If Silvio leaves the furniture in place, he and Love would have probably gotten the same deal.

In any case, it's clear that KU's initial "indefinite" call was the right thing and that KU, KSU and the Big 12 obviously huddled to make sure that things were distributed evenly. Imagine the uproar if one team had been lopsided in their enforcement.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot

More
4 years 2 months ago #24511 by LSHawk
If my math is right, KU got a net 3 more suspensions. Fair and non-lopsided, to me, would have been equal number of suspensions. The incident was initially provoked by KSU player. First violence committed by KSU player. Intensifies the bad blood for sure...
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant

More
4 years 2 months ago #24520 by NotOstertag
All true except for the chair. Like it or not, that took it to a whole 'nuther level from an optics perspective. Sadly, it'll probably follow Silvio around for the rest of his bball career.

As a result, he and we got hit harder.

The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant