Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Disgusted

More
4 years 2 months ago #24449 by Kong
I don't know what it is about KU that begs people to try to steal and dunk when down by double digits as the clock is winding down, but I am tired of that. From now on, especially at KSU, we run and dunk til the last second. It will take that stupidity off the board. And when anyone says anything we point to these times that this garbage has happened.

1. Bush league move by the guy stealing the ball. Other than it being bush league, so what.
2. DeSousa's block. Heck yes. Even standing over him a bit. Pull a bush league move, you deserve to be shown up.
3. Everything after that. Disgusting.

All this is just my venting/opinion

The KSU guy in street clothes is the person that escalated that into a brawl. It was really a whole lot of nothing until he jumped in to the mix. Threw the first punches and should get 10 games minimum maybe more.
DeSousa threw punches and picked up a chair to hit someone with. Thankfully he dropped it on his own and didn't use it, but 10 games as well
McCormack punches and kicking the guy who was on the ground 10 games.
Anyone else who threw a punch 3 games.

By the way, the KU yell leader who was keeping people out of the mix. Good on him. He deserves a lot for getting in the way of huge athletes and trying to do the right thing.

It is going to be chaos in Manhattan.

And if we lose a game or two because of suspensions, we just handed it all to Baylor and might have cost us a #1 seed.

Disgusting

Visualize Whirled Peas

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
4 years 2 months ago #24451 by sasnak
I agree that Manhattan is going to be ugly. They might need the Kansas National Guard there that day.

It'll feel better when it stops hurting

More
4 years 2 months ago #24452 by Kong
The guy off the bench may not have thrown the first punch. I think Gorden rushed in and pushed DeSousa from over the KSU player who Desousa was standing over. DeSousa fell back. Got back up and launched a punch. The KSU bench was coming in at that point and the bench guy threw a punch then.

If that is really what transpired, then DeSousa may well be done for the year.

It is interesting to me that DeSousa has struggled so much this year to the point where he is playing scrub time after showing so much potential previously. He is clearly frustrated and that steal set him off. Not good

Visualize Whirled Peas

More
4 years 2 months ago #24453 by AZhawk87
I don't get why such severe punishments are being suggested, like being done for the year. Albeit raising the chair is really bad, and may get him in real trouble, but the fight itself? I just don't see it.

We cheer fights in hockey. Baseball loves a good bench clearer every once in a while (please stop the pitchers from jogging in from the bullpen - it's silly). And dust ups in basketball happen pretty regularly.

This one got unruly, but the rest of the season? Maybe for the chair, but the rest of the guys should get a couple games and move on.

More
4 years 2 months ago #24455 by Kong
I can only speak for myself here.

Several things separate this from those you are comparing them to.

I don't like fighting in sports and don't cheer them on. I think baseball fights are the silliest with rarely a punch landed, but I don't cheer or condone it. In fact, I think because they are so silly, they should get even stiffer penalties as anyone jogging from the bullpen has enough time to think about it and if they get into an altercation, it is worse.

With hockey, I happen to hate fighting in hockey. For a while there was way too many of them and it takes away from the game. Having said that, hockey has part of its culture the enforcer/fighter so it is accepted as part of the game. I don't like it, but I accept it.

Fighting has no place in most sports and specially in college sports where we are supposedly trying to display a modicum of sportsmanship.

That is why I am saying that the penalties should be stiff.

Visualize Whirled Peas

More
4 years 2 months ago #24456 by AZhawk87
I want to be clear that I'm not condoning fighting. But it happens when huge, competitive athletes bang bodies for an hour, competing to win, and something ignites all of these elements.

It also happens from little league through the pros, and even in senior old guy leagues. We should be better than that, but we're just not sometimes. It doesn't make us criminals or someone to be exiled.

College is a great place to teach and learn lessons, which I'm sure are already being taught and learned by all involved last night. Punish the over the top behavior, but also have some level of restraint.

I was annoyed with ESPN talking heads and others acting like this was the worst thing they've seen in a long time, and advocating for severe, death penalty level punishments. That's what is fueling my "take a deep breath and move on" attitude.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant

More
4 years 2 months ago #24459 by murphyslaw
I believe there are valid points in each of the posts about the incident. My thought is that there was one attitude that started the whole thing, and that is that DeSosa felt he was "dissed" when he was stripped of the ball. He expressed that feeling by standing over the guilty party and "dissing" him in return. Accordingly, the KState player thought he had to retaliate, I thought.

In certain neighborhoods, in prison, and among some young people's associations, being disrespected is unacceptable and often results in violence.

From what I saw, his standing over the player whose shot he blocked, is indicative of this feeling, Now, anyone who's ever watched an NBA game knows that taunting is going to result a technical foul. I am disgusted by the fact that in that moment he didn't care what his action would set in motion. I am sad about the penalties that may hurt the team. I am disappointed that lack of self-control lead to disastrous results.