Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

This is the guy........?

• Hawknmo
  • Hawknmo's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
4 years 2 months ago #24442 by Hawknmo
This is the player a certain assistant coach was “allegedly” willing to risk the good name of the University Athletic Dept for? This is the guy we just “had to have”? I know how unpopular Vitale is to most KU fans but he is spot on here. DeSousa should never wear a KU jersey again. For most of his time here I do believe he was a victim. Still doesn’t make it right though. But tonight....this was ALL on him. The block was THE perfect statement and would have been the ultimate “warm up the bus” message. But it wasn’t enough. He just HAD to prove how manly he was by standing over the guy. Punk move. Personally, I think the kid was upset he was playing with the “end of the benchers”. Regardless, picking up ANY object with intent is legally assault. It was literally a criminal act. No matter how much of a jerk move the steal and attempted score were, they do not merit assault. No matter how much of an idiot move leaving the bench was by Love, it also doesn’t rise to the level of bodily harm. It is time for the DeSousa chapter to end.

BTW... we SHOULD be talking about Braun like HCBS said. What a night he had!

RKCKJHK!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: JRhawk, Bayhawk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
4 years 2 months ago #24443 by JRhawk
I have been waiting all year for DeSousa to regain the form he had in the Elite 8 2 years ago. Sadly, that never happened and last night he went off the rails the other direction.
Why was he dribbling the ball in the first place? Granted, Gordon could have just let it go, but chose not to. DeSousa could have just let it go after his pocket was picked, but chose not to. Fine up to here. The standing over Gordon and cackling at the same time is going to draw a response, albeit an ugly one. What about those end zone fans? Not a safe place last night. I would say Silvio is gone.

More
4 years 2 months ago #24444 by AZhawk87
I've read many comments saying this was a "stain" on KU, and an embarrassment, and something that will haunt us for a long time. I don't agree. I'm a little old school, midwestern type of guy. Frankly, if Silvio hadn't picked up the stool, this would be shown by ESPN as just a good ol rivalry that ended the way good ol rivalries used to end. My take on a few key points:

1. The KSU kid got what he deserved stealing the ball with less than ten seconds left. That's the second time that's happened to us this year, and is a world class punk move that invites a flagrant response like Silvio's block attempt. If a KU scrub did that, I'd have absolutely no problem with an opponent doing what Silvio did.

2. Silvio went overboard with how long he stood over the guy, but wasn't the instigator of the fight. In fact, he was pretty calm for a few seconds while he got shoved by a couple players. He threw one good punch - and connected!. All good until he picked up the stool. That's going to cost him big time. And it should. Bad bad decision.

3. KSU kid in street clothes was the most aggressive instigator, and I think this all would have been just one big shoving match if he hadn't jumped in.

4. Big Mac may be in trouble for stomping on the KSU punk, but once he got involved everyone else seemed to back off. That's what a good protector/enforcer does. Bring in the 250 pounder and end the conflict. He'll miss at least one game, but it's nice knowing he has his teammates backs.

5. Biggest embarrassment was NCAA's pandering to Vegas. The dumbest decision by anyone was bringing the teams back out for free throws and one second of play, just to have a complete game so that Vegas didn't have to cancel all bets. Inexcusable to put the players, fans, etc. into that situation where tempers were so high.

6. And finally, KSU is still KSU. The court storming a few years ago with Self bent over the scorer's table and a fan body checking our player. Then yesterday getting blown out and the last second steal, apparently ignoring Weber's order not to do so. And the KSU player jumping Silvio and escalating the fight. And Weber just being Weber. I say we go into Manhattan, take all the boos and jeers that we know are coming, and whip their butts again.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, KMT

More
4 years 2 months ago #24445 by KMT
Jay Williams summed it pretty well IMHO. And Silvio's POV after the hard block and stare down - which was warranted IMHO. If you're going to try to show KU up by stealing when they're closing the clock, then be prepared for a block and/or stare down.

I don't think Silvio should be booted, but 10 games, or rest of conference play is warranted.
The following user(s) said Thank You: newtonhawk

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
4 years 2 months ago #24446 by HawkErrant
Silvio initially showing restraint despite a wall of purple attacking him, only after he gets knocked down does he lose it.
No excuse for the stool.
No excuse for KSU, either.
Take your beatdown like good sports and drag your tail tucked butts back to Manhattan.
They better be handing out punishments in Manhattan, too.

Probably will be the single biggest impact KSU will have on the Big 12 race this season.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bayhawk, KMT, newtonhawk, jaythawk1

More
4 years 2 months ago #24447 by sasnak
I disagree until I know more esp what was said out there. What I saw was someone who was pushed past his limit. This kid was the epitome of everything a Jayhawk represents last year while he was being shafted by the NCAA and lost a year of his life. He was always upbeat and a team player and there for the team. THAT says who he is more than one heated moment that has not completely unfolded yet. Yes, he should be suspended along with anyone else who pulled a punch but I stop there.

It'll feel better when it stops hurting
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, newtonhawk

More
4 years 2 months ago #24448 by NotOstertag
I, too, am withholding judgement until I hear more. KSU guy was a punk for the steal. DeSousa was ok with the block and I'm also ok with him standing over the guy. If it ends there, DeSousa gets a T and maybe tossed, and the grapes get a couple of meaningless free throws.

The problem escalated exponentially when the KSU guys left the bench. To me, up until that point, it's just typical rivalry stuff.
Silvio and the stool? Very bad choice and kudos to Jerrance Howard for getting it out of his hands quickly. Unfortunately the still photo will be around forever, but in real time Silvio had it in his hands for less than 3 seconds and didn't swing it. Deep down, I don't think DeSousa is a thug, just a frustrated kid who made a bad choice. If you want thuggery, there are several former players who's behavior qualifies and I've been vocal about that in the past, and I don't see DeSousa having similar behavioral trends on or off the court.

I think a lengthy suspension is warranted, however. I could care less about the Tennessee game, so if we're shorthanded and we lose an otherwise meaningless game, so be it. I do know that there are going to be some guys running some stairs in Allen Fieldhouse over the next few days.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, Bayhawk, KMT, newtonhawk