Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Key player for the WVU game...

More
8 years 3 months ago #1681 by Kong
just sitting here thinking a bit about the game tomorrow night.

We have lost the last two trips to WVU for a variety of reasons. But I have a feeling this year might be a bit different. WVU plays a physical pressing game. In the past we have had only one ball handler who could handle the pressure and I believe it wore them down. I think it is different this year with the addition of Graham carrying a good part of the PG load.

As such, I think others will have a steady game and do what they do, but it might all hinge on how well Graham plays. If he steps up, it could go a long way to negating WVU's press and play. He may be the key to the game.

Thoughts as to who you think will be the key player tomorrow?

Visualize Whirled Peas

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
8 years 3 months ago #1682 by Bayhawk
RC

The end is nothing; the road is all.
-- Jules Michelet

More
8 years 3 months ago #1684 by NotOstertag
I haven't seen them play, but if you look at each team's stats, some things jump out.

>KU has 11 guys averaging at least 10 minutes a game. WVU has 9 (and a 10th averaging 9.9). So we won't run them out of bodies since they play as deep as we do.

>KU has 4 guys who score more than 10 points a game, ditto with WVU. They're arguably more balanced with 3 of those guys averaging 12 points, whereas the distinction between Ellis (16.0ppg), Selden (15.5), Mason (13.5), Graham (10/7) is more visible.

>They get 11 steals per game to our 8.

>They get 41 rebounds per game compared to our 39.

>They average 15 turnovers, compared to our 12.

>We shoot .501 from the field, and .459 from three. They shoot .478 but only .315 from 3.

>They have nobody shooting over .400 from 3, and 3 guys in the .300-.399 range. We have Perry and Wayne shooting over .500 from 3, Brannen at .630, and Frank and Devonte in the .400's. Fun fact: with the exception of Hunter and Landon (who both have missed at least one 3 pointer), every other Jayhawk who's shot a 3 is at .333 or higher.

>As a team we shoot .724 from the free throw line, WVU is at .659. If you see Elijah Macon in the game with the ball (#45, soph forward), go ahead and foul him since he's shooting .478 from the line. If he's in the game and we need to foul somebody, don't guard him on the inbounds and then hack him, lol.

Finally, we average 88 points a game and WVU averages 86,

Bottom line, it's going to be a close game. I agree that the 2 point guard lineup of Mason and Graham will be key, as will our ability to shoot 3's. If we can hit 3's and not panic with their in-your-face defense, I think we can escape with a W.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot

More
8 years 3 months ago #1689 by hairyhawk
Though having the guards getting us into our offense against the press will be important I think it will be Perry that is the key. I feel that in the half court they will extend to try and keep us from shooting 3s and play Perry 1 on 1 in the post. If they do that he must punish them for it by scoring again and again.
The following user(s) said Thank You: NotOstertag

More
8 years 3 months ago #1691 by NotOstertag
Their leading scorer is Devin Williams (6'9", 255 lbs) who's averaging 14.5 ppg in 24.1 minutes. Compare that to Perry who's averaging 16 ponts in 28.7 minutes.

Two thoughts on this:
1.) Perry's giving up an inch and 30 pounds on Williams. Likely to see Mickleson/Lucas on him instead of Perry.
2.) Williams appears to be their primary big (don't seem to have a Lucas or Mickleson getting significant minutes), so they appear to play "small" along with their pressure defense.

So I expect Perry to be important (he will be in every game) but with Williams likely guarding Perry, that could create some opportunities in the paint for Lucas, Mickleson or even Bragg.

Biggest concerns for this game: Brannen, Svi,and our freshmen bigs. Not sure how good they are at dealing with stifling defences.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot