Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

KU 66, OU 52

• HawkErrant
  • HawkErrant's Avatar Topic Author
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
4 years 3 months ago #24365 by HawkErrant
Road wins are so sweet.

No Dotson?

Thankfully no problem against OU.

From the box score:

STEPPED UP
Marcus Garrett: 38 minutes, 15 PT, 5 REB, 5 ASST, 1 TO. (4-8 FT shooting his only negative)
Udoka Azubuike: 32 minutes, 16 PT, 14 REB, 1 ASST, 3 BLK (FT 2-2!) (4 TOs his only negative)
Isaiah Moss: 38 minute, 20 PT, 4 REB, 1 ASST, 0 TO
Christian Braun: 22 minutes; just 2 PTS, but 6 BIG REB, 1 ASST, 1 BLK, 1 STL, 0 TO
Tristan Enaruna: 11 minutes, just 2 PTS, but 4 REB, 1 ASST, 1 STL, 2 TO (only mar on his first really calm looking conference game performance)

DIDN'T HURT KU TOO BADLY WITH THEIR PLAY
Ochai Agbaji: 38 minutes, 7 PT, 5 REB, 3 ASST, 1 TO (felt like he had/caused more TOs; poor ball handling *and* shooting tonight)
Dave McCormack: 15 minutes, 4 PT, 3 REB, 2 TO (augh!)
Silvio DeSousa: 2 minutes, 3 REB (credit, the dude still hits the boards!)

To be fair to Ochai, nobody but Garrett seemed to pass the ball very well tonight (and for all his other talents passing the ball is not one of Devon's strengths, either.). That's particularly bothersome as OU is not a good defensive team. Our guys looked lost out there at times on offense.

Even the vaunted KU defense -- which only gave up 52 points on OU's 30.6% shooting (19-62 FG; 27.6% on 8-29 3PT) -- gave up a lot of open looks from 3 that simply did not fall for OU. And while the rebounding #s are impressive (46 to 32), during the game it was noted that OU came into this game with a NEGATIVE rebounding margin for the year, so they clearly aren't that good at rebounding to begin with. They simply did not turn the ball over (they excel in that regard) and outscored a lot of people to get their 11 wins to date.

BUT HEY! Our guys went into a hostile arena without our field general and won the night!
AND who would dream that Dok would lead the team in FT% for the game?!? He's done really well from the line the last two games. Way to go, big guy!

UP NEXT is another road trip, this one to Austin for a 1 PM Saturday game on ESPN.

Hey, 'Hawks! GIG THEM tsips!

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
The following user(s) said Thank You: JRhawk, hairyhawk, murphyslaw, jaythawk1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
4 years 3 months ago #24367 by JRhawk
Yes, especially road wins in OK, where KU has trouble. Agree with your summary - the biggest surprise for me was Moss's shooting. Of course, OU played no defense, so that helped. Also, Reaves couldn't hit the broad side of a barn, so not much defense was required by KU. But, without Dotson, a gutty win.
TT got a road win at KSU, but no such luck for TCU at WVU (81-49). Two games in Feb I'm not looking forward to - at WVU and at Baylor.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, murphyslaw

• Wheatstate Gal
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
4 years 3 months ago #24368 by Wheatstate Gal
Tea sippers, huh? :-D

Had to look it up, HE!
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant

More
4 years 3 months ago #24370 by hairyhawk
Something I like to look at for offensive efficiency is points per shot attempt. Anything worse than a point per shot attempt is not very good. It is pretty basic but gives you an idea of how effective that person was as a scorer. Somethings of note for that game is all of the people with less than a point per shot attempt had 5 or fewer shot attempts. The highest was Big Dave with 4 points on 5 attempts. All of the folks with double digit attempts were over the point per attempt threshold. In other words the folks that were taking the shots were the ones we wanted to take the shots more often than not.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, murphyslaw

More
4 years 3 months ago #24371 by NotOstertag
Great game!

Yes, GREAT.

It wasn't "great" because we played particularly well (we didn't), or that our offense was clicking (it wasn't), or that OU is a great opponent (they aren't).

What made this "great" in my opinion comes down to 2 things:
1.) Road win. ANY road win in the conference raises the minimum bar to at least "good". Playing 39 minutes and 59 seconds of awful ball against a weak opponent but leaving with a W will at least elicit a "well at least we got the win" response (aka "good outcome").
2.) Figuring out how to play without our leading scorer and floor general. I'm sure I wasn't alone tuning last night with a sense of dread. We've struggled at OU, they're not an awful team, and outside of Dotson, Doke and Garrett, we've been inconsistent at best. With 1/3 of that combo and almost half that trio's scoring (they're combining for 40.2 ppg and Dotson averages 18 ppg) unable to play, it's something to worry about. Nevertheless they pulled it off.

I think HE's analysis at the top of this post is pretty much spot on for individuals, so I've got nothing to add there. OU's 27% 3 point shooting certainly was a big factor as well.

Nevertheless, Garrett played very well, Moss STAYED hot and a lot of guys stepped up. I lost track of Dok's dunk count, but it seemed that we may also have been gifted with some poor interior defending on the part of OU.

Just win, baby. Get on the bus and burn rubber back to Lawrence. 3 final thoughts:

1.) I'm officially on board with Braun. He's demonstrated enough consistency to prove that he's not a fluke. I'm sold.
2.) Let's hope that Moss can be more consistent with his output. Still not sure he's a great defender, but I'll forgive him if he can keep hitting (likewise a prayer for consistency for guys like Agbaji and McCormack).
3.) Who knew OU had Larry Bird's lab-grown clone playing for them? Sure, they can call him "Brady Manek", but the folks in French Lick, Indiana know the truth.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant

• HawkErrant
More
4 years 3 months ago #24372 by HawkErrant

NotOstertag wrote: Great game!

3.) Who knew OU had Larry Bird's lab-grown clone playing for them? Sure, they can call him "Brady Manek", but the folks in French Lick, Indiana know the truth.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :woohoo: :lol: :lol: :lol:

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

• HawkErrant
More
4 years 3 months ago #24373 by HawkErrant

Wheatstate Gal wrote: Tea sippers, huh? :-D

Had to look it up, HE!

Yeah, I got that late-in-life Texas Aggie infusion (MS '00) that pops up whenever tu is involved.*
Glad it got ya laughing, Wheaty!

*Some of the longteeth here will remember the user handle TexAMHawk, which I initially used as I was in grad school at Texas A&M when I first joined the RCB in the late '90s. The site programming at the time wouldn't let me use & in my username then, and I recall there already was a TAMUHawk, so I went withTexAMHawk at first. Once was asked if I was also an Aggie or do I just like Texas mornings! ;) I got Dave's okay to change usernames when I decided I wanted to focus on more on being a modern day Army version of a Knight Errant with KANSAS JAYHAWK roots, hence HawkErrant! Since retiring I usually go by LTCUSARet on most other sites that still require user names.