Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Matt Tait needs a better editor

• CorpusJayhawk
  • CorpusJayhawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
4 years 3 months ago #24298 by CorpusJayhawk
Matt Tait in todays article: "Overall, KU’s 38.4% offensive rebounding percentage ranks fifth in the country and KU, at 101st in the country, has surrendered an offensive rebound 26.3% of the time."

There is a typo. It is Baylor that has an offensive rebounding of 38.4%. Also, KU's offensive rebounding is 26.1% not 26.3%.

Matt Tait in today's article: "And with Baylor sitting at 0-17 all-time inside Allen Fieldhouse..."

Baylor is 0-16 inside Allen Fieldhouse. They are 0-17 in Lawrence but the loss in 1952 was played in Robinson Gymnasium.

Don't worry about the mules, just load the wagon!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: hairyhawk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
4 years 3 months ago - 4 years 3 months ago #24301 by HawkErrant

CorpusJayhawk wrote: ...
Matt Tait in today's article: "And with Baylor sitting at 0-17 all-time inside Allen Fieldhouse..."

Baylor is 0-16 inside Allen Fieldhouse. They are 0-17 in Lawrence but the loss in 1952 was played in Robinson Gymnasium.

Having just done some reading on this yesterday (link) , I double checked today as your info is different than mine.

Per sport reference.com, the first Baylor v KU game was played December 3, 1951 (the opening game of KU's 1951-52 NCAA Championship season) in Hoch Auditorium. www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/kansas/1952-schedule.html

Confirmed Hoch as location with Bill Mayer article in Lawrence Daily Journal World dated Dec 4, 1951 titled “Kansas Unimpressive in Court Opener” news.google.com/newspapers?nid=H3xT48m3F...tsec=frontpage&hl=en

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
Last Edit: 4 years 3 months ago by HawkErrant. Reason: added links

• CorpusJayhawk
  • CorpusJayhawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
4 years 3 months ago #24303 by CorpusJayhawk
Thank you HE. For some whacky reason I had all games from 1907-1926 in Robinson, 1927-47 in Hoch and 1948-55 back in Robinson. Then, of course, from 3/1/1955 in Allen Fieldhouse. Not sure why I had that like that but I always appreciate a chance to clean up the data. Thanks for the catch. If you happen to have a list of all the opposing coaches could you PM me and let me know. I am missing 752 opposing coaches. Thanks.

Don't worry about the mules, just load the wagon!!

More
4 years 3 months ago #24306 by LKF_HAWK
Here is to Baylor dropping to 0-18 in Lawrence today. How does Scott Drew put together this teams at Baylor, Waco not particularly attractive location and no real sting history/tradition of MBB at Baylor. Boggles then mind.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
4 years 3 months ago #24309 by HawkErrant
You're welcome, Corpus! Like you, I always appreciate assists!

Interesting that some source you found had the games from 1948-55 back in Robinson.

Sports-Reference.com Schedule and Results data for KU only goes back to the 1949-50 season, and those results all show Hoch Auditorium from 1949-50 until AFH opens for the 1955-56 season.

NB: AFH actually opened late in the 1954-55 season, being the site for the last two home games of that season. Dedicated and played AFH Game 1 against KSU (KU 77-67) on March 1, 1955 and ended the season home schedule with a 71-67 win over OU. (Guess I need to contact Sports-Reference.com about fixing that errata. One of the reasons I double checked my research with the Bill Mayer newspaper article.)

According to this March 2010 UDK article Kansan.com: The changing face of KU's home-court, the home court timeline runs as follows --

The beginnings and Snow Hall (1899-1907)

On February 3, 1899, in Kansas City, Mo., Kansas played its first game against a local YMCA team. The Jayhawks lost 16-5. William Sutton scored the first point in Kansas basketball history when he made a free throw. He also scored the first field goal. Kansas' first victory was a week later in Topeka when they defeated a YMCA team 31-6.

Kansas played its first home game in a roller skating rink at 807 Kentucky St. When the building was destroyed by fire, the Jayhawks played in the YMCA at 937 Massachusetts St. until it burned down in 1902. Kansas then moved to the new YMCA on Massachusetts Street.

Snow Hall (a different building than the current building named Snow Hall) was the first on-campus home of the Jayhawks. The court measured just 84 feet long and 26 feet wide, as opposed to the 94-by-50 dimensions used today. Players were forced to deal with posts down the middle of the court that supported a ceiling only 11 feet above the floor. Today, there is 10 feet from the floor to the top of the rim. When coach James Naismith discovered unused space below the floor, he dropped the court five feet and invented the arching shot.

The Jayhawks finished with a 7-4 record in their first season.

Snow Hall quickly became an unsuitable basketball arena. Opposing teams were afraid they would run into the support beams in the middle of the floor, which discouraged them from playing there.

Robinson Gymnasium (1907-1928)

On December 13, 1907, Kansas played its first game in Robinson Gymnasium. The Jayhawks defeated Ottawa 66-22.

Robinson Gymnasium was designed by James Naismith. It cost $100,000 to build it. The gym was used for high school tournaments, enrollment and registration and was home to the 1907 Prom. The building had three floors that included lockers, a swimming pool, a storeroom and a training room for the football team. Robinson Gymnasium had a capacity of approximately 3,000 fans.

In December 1928, the Jayhawks played their last game in Robinson Gymnasium, losing to Kansas State 20-13. However, the Jayhawks had a lot of success in the building. From 1908-1928, the Jayhawks amassed a 148-28 record. Wescoe Hall sits on the former site of Robinson Gymnasium.

Hoch Auditorium (1928-1955)

Hoch Auditorium, nicknamed "The Opera House" and built of native limestone, was dedicated on October 14, 1927. It cost $350,000 to construct, three and a half times more than it took to build Robinson Gymnasium. It had a capacity of approximately 3,500. Kansas defeated Washington University 29-26 in overtime in its first game in Hoch Auditorium on January 6, 1928. For a year, the Jayhawks played in both Hoch Auditorium and Robinson Gymnasium.

The 1927-1928 team was the first to play in Hoch and was also the last to play in the Missouri Valley Conference. The next year, Kansas along with Iowa State, Kansas State, Missouri, Nebraska and Oklahoma formed the Big Six Conference.

Kansas called Hoch Auditorium home for 28 seasons. There were issues with the floor, the seating, the accommodations and the lack of a home-team dressing room. In the last game at Hoch, Kansas lost to Nebraska 66-55. The Jayhawks had a 204-38 record in the Hoch Auditorium era.

On June 15, 1991, lightning struck the building and the interior was destroyed by fire. Today, the building is known as Budig Hall, with its three giant lecture halls retaining the name of "Hoch Auditoria."

=============================================================
END EXCERPT

As for opposing coaches, sorry, my friend, I got nada on that.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"