Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Roy

• HawkErrant
  • HawkErrant's Avatar Topic Author
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
4 years 3 months ago - 4 years 3 months ago #24256 by HawkErrant
Worth noting that with the Dec 30 UNC win over Yale Roy tied Dean Smith for 5th 4th place on the Division 1 winningest Mens Basketball coaches list -- 879 career wins against 239 losses (KU 418-101, UNC then 461-138).

It is also worthy of note that since that win the tarred ones are 0-2, both losses coming in conference in the The Traitor Smith Center. They lost to Georgia Tech 96-83 on Saturday (after which Coach Williams remarked that his current team was the "least gifted" he had ever worked with ) and then losing in Chapel Hill tonight to Pittsburgh 73-65.

It is also worth noting that the ACC is having a down year as well, historically so if you believe this . Apparently there is very little in the league after Duke and Louisvillle this year.

Just something I observed in passing tonight as I was updating my files for KU's win in Ames.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
Last Edit: 4 years 3 months ago by HawkErrant. Reason: Correct Roy/TTS place on all-times winningest D1 coaches list. Assist: porthawk (Thanks!)
The following user(s) said Thank You: JRhawk, Bayhawk, porthawk, murphyslaw, jaythawk1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
4 years 3 months ago #24264 by NotOstertag
Could be a good year in the all time wins contest.

Heading into the season, UK was up 19 on us, and we were ahead of UNC by 13. Duke is almost 100 behind us. Right now we're +1 on Kentucky for the year and +4 on UNC.

We should hopefully be able to dig a little deeper into UK's lead, but really put some distance on UNC.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63, HawkErrant

More
4 years 3 months ago #24268 by JRhawk
Traitor Smith indeed - that's one wound that never heals. As to UNC this year, they have had a lot of injuries - ESPN #2 recruit and their leading scorer before he went down in the VA game, Cole Anthony has been sidelined after that game on Dec 8th - prognosis was out 4-6 weeks. 6'11" Sterling Manley is out for the year, as is #79 recruit Anthony Harris.
We know all too well what missing 1/2 a game (Garrett vs Nova) can do.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant

More
4 years 3 months ago #24270 by CorpusJayhawk
Right now I have UNC ranked 103 in my DPPI, good for 14th in the ACC. (out of 15 teams). This is not a down year this is a deeply down in the depressing doldrums dungeon kind of year. KU had what I consider to be a down year last season placing third in the Big 12. It will take a miracle for UNC to make the NCAA. The ACC is way down this year as a whole. But then again, the Big 12 is down a bit from the past several years. But not nearly as much as the ACC. Here is the average rank of the power 6 based on a composite of 50 computers.

Big East 42.60
Big Ten 46.64
Big 12 47.91
ACC 67.75
SEC 70.50
Pac-12 71.69

Don't worry about the mules, just load the wagon!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, jaythawk1

More
4 years 3 months ago #24273 by Governors
I was fortunate to have some incredible floor seats for the GT game (can't attach pics as they are too big). I always enjoy going to the Dean Dome and watching Carolina lose. This one was especially enjoyable as I am also a huge Tech fan (my daughter went to GT for her BS, MS and PhD).

Roy's post game was depressing for Carolina fans as he basically had nothing good to say about his team. But the most telling part of the interview was that he never once congratulated, complimented or even mentioned Josh Pastner and the GT team for their play that night (and they did play incredibly well). It was pretty much all about him and his failings.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, jayhawk969, porthawk

More
4 years 3 months ago #24278 by NotOstertag
As much as some people complain about not winning as many NC's as we'd like, our current record-breaking streak of 29 consecutive NCAA tourney appearances really shows what the difference between a 'down year' is for us compared to some other schools. This year, 30 is very likely. The prevoius record was UNC from 1975-2001.

Other "blue blood" performance over the same period:

UK:
Missed it for the 3rd year in a row spanning Eddie Sutton's last year and Pitino's 2nd. Returned in '92. Then after 21 straight, my favorite UK collapse when the predicted 30-0 team missed the Tourney all together and got bumped in the first round of the NIT. A favorite memory of mine.

Duke:
Coach K had an 10 year streak running from '84-94 and then went 13-18 in '94/95. They're currently at 23 straight, 6 behind KU.

UNC:
The aforementioned 2002 miss under Matt Doherty capped the previous record. They missed again in '03 leading to Doherty's dismissal and Dean's Treachery and Roy blowing our NC chance that year. Roy had the program running right along winning it all with Doherty's recruits in '05 and guys who took fake classes in '09. Go Roy! Oops, 20-17 and 5-11 in the conference ended his streak at 6. But hey, he's on a 9-year streak now, right? Yeah, let's see how that works out for him.

Other Notables:
Not sure if Michigan State is a "blue blood" officially, but Izzo has them at 21 straight through last year. The Gozongas (sp?) have 20 straight, but how could you NOT have a streak playing in the WCC? I know, I know...Pacific is underrated, and the fans at Pepperdine can get really rowdy, but c'mon.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot

• Wheatstate Gal
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
4 years 3 months ago #24282 by Wheatstate Gal
I flipped by ESPN last night. Their talking heads between games were giving Roy grief because of what he said about his players.....who recruited those players; bet that kind of talk is not doing much for morale these days. Maybe others might comment, but from the head coach? Aw shucks, Roy.

More
4 years 3 months ago #24284 by NotOstertag
He's always had a bit of a "cranky old man" streak in him, coupled with a "I'll just wait until the next TV timeout rather than call one" tendency.

Dadgummit.

More
4 years 3 months ago #24288 by Bayhawk

NotOstertag wrote: Dadgummit.

Made my day!!!! :P

RCJHFL

The end is nothing; the road is all.
-- Jules Michelet

More
4 years 3 months ago - 4 years 3 months ago #24339 by porthawk

Worth noting that with the Dec 30 UNC win over Yale Roy tied Dean Smith for 4th place on the Division 1 winningest Mens Basketball coaches list -- 879 career wins against 239 losses (KU 418-101, UNC then 461-138).

So HE, you had written that Roy tied Dean for 4th place on the all time D1 list. I had read the article you linked up and when I saw that Roy was now tied for 4th place on the all time wins list, it got me thinking about who is ahead of/them. I thought of Coach K, Bobby Knight, Jim Calhoun and Boeheim.
This was all according to Wikipedia: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_college_me...oaches_with_600_wins

Now when I saw this ESPN.com article, it said this:
Except the record book reads 899. It is not 1,000 with an asterisk. The 1,000 does not appear anywhere. The 101 wins covering the 2004-05, 2005-06, 2006-07, 2010-11 and 2011-12 seasons are gone, erased and evaporated by NCAA sanctions handed down in 2015.

If that's the case, then wouldn't Roy and Dean Smith be tied for 5th, not 4th?

As always, I'll preface by saying that I may be missing something here, but if you, or anyone else doesn't mind clarifying, I'd greatly appreciate it.
Last Edit: 4 years 3 months ago by porthawk.

• HawkErrant
More
4 years 3 months ago #24343 by HawkErrant

porthawk wrote:

Worth noting that with the Dec 30 UNC win over Yale Roy tied Dean Smith for 4th place on the Division 1 winningest Mens Basketball coaches list -- 879 career wins against 239 losses (KU 418-101, UNC then 461-138).

So HE, you had written that Roy tied Dean for 4th place on the all time D1 list. I had read the article you linked up and when I saw that Roy was now tied for 4th place on the all time wins list, it got me thinking about who is ahead of/them. I thought of Coach K, Bobby Knight, Jim Calhoun and Boeheim.
This was all according to Wikipedia: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_college_me...oaches_with_600_wins

Now when I saw this ESPN.com article, it said this:
Except the record book reads 899. It is not 1,000 with an asterisk. The 1,000 does not appear anywhere. The 101 wins covering the 2004-05, 2005-06, 2006-07, 2010-11 and 2011-12 seasons are gone, erased and evaporated by NCAA sanctions handed down in 2015.

If that's the case, then wouldn't Roy and Dean Smith be tied for 5th, not 4th?

As always, I'll preface by saying that I may be missing something here, but if you, or anyone else doesn't mind clarifying, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Good catch, porthawk.

First I will note that I was reporting what was in the article, which I did not double check. I'll take the hit for not double checking, assuming that the article writer was accurate in the info being reported.

Second, Sports-Reference has Boeheim's current (but before adjustment) W-L as 1056-392.
That means after adjustment JB is sitting at 955 wins as I write this (1056-101), as reported in the Wikipedia article.

So yep, Roy and TTS are tied for 5th, not 4th.

Thanks for the catch, I'll edit the origin post to correct it.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

More
4 years 3 months ago #24344 by porthawk
I know it was the report from the article, HE. Did not mean to imply it was you. I feel like that's an important fact that ESPN should have made sure was correct, but oh well...

• HawkErrant
More
4 years 3 months ago #24345 by HawkErrant

porthawk wrote: I know it was the report from the article, HE. Did not mean to imply it was you. I feel like that's an important fact that ESPN should have made sure was correct, but oh well...

No worries, port!

And I totally agree re: ESPN, and where stats are involved usually they can be relied on to get it right (unlike Wikipedia, which I am always checking against other sources such as the NCAA records book or www.sports-reference.com/cbb/coaches/jim-boeheim-1.html ).

But even sports-reference can't always be taken at face value, as I noted in my previous comment. Interestingly enough, the site has the Syracuse Ws lost to the 2015 sanctions noted in the "Adjusted" column for each year involved, but does not have an "Adjusted" note on the Career line noting that Boeheim's Official Career Ws are actually 101 less than the W column total.The information presented is thus misleading to the casual reader.

Another example with sports-reference.com is the history of games in AFH, which I only realized was a blip due to the research done as a result of the weekend conversation with Corpus about Matt Tait's pre-game Baylor @KU article. To wit, the last two home games of the 1954-55 season were the first games ever played in AFH (wins over KSU and OU), but sports-reference.com erroneously shows all the home games that season were played in Hoch Auditorium.

Again, thanks for the question and assist! I always strive to keep the facts straight when commenting on the RCB!
(And while I do try to always keep the facts straight in all other aspects of my life, yes, those last five words are a disclaimer!:woohoo:)

• HawkErrant
More
4 years 3 months ago #24346 by HawkErrant
AND BY THE WAY... FOR THE RECORD the "4th place" error was made by an AP writer.

I was sending some feedback to sports-reference.com and looking back at the ESPN article in relation to my comment when I realized that the "ESPN" article was an Associated Press article that ESPN was publishing on its site.

Full disclosure TTBOMK.
FWIW.