Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Nice win by KU

• porthawk
  • porthawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
4 years 3 months ago #24255 by porthawk
And a very enjoyable box score to look at. And it was nice to see UA hit 80% of a free throws along with the team shooting well from the stripe as well.
www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/boxscore?gameId=401169686
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, Bayhawk, murphyslaw, KMT

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
4 years 3 months ago - 4 years 3 months ago #24257 by HawkErrant
Indeed, porthawk!

My two favorite stats were Dok's 80% FT (4-5, and they looked good!), and the teams 3PT shooting (10-19, 53%). Only Isaiah Moss disappointed in his 3pt shooting tonight.

Christian Braun is coming on strong. Such a great head for the game, especially for a freshman. The big 21-3 run tonight was accomplished after he entered the game when Garrett hurt his left ankle (so thankful Garrett seems to be okay!).

ISU has been one of the worst defensive teams in the league this season, and that held true tonight, but they had also been the highest scoring team in the Big 12 coming into tonight's game. Although the Cyclones started out red hot, hitting practically everything they threw toward the hoop (or so it seemed), KU's defense finally slowed them down, limiting them to a season low 53 points on 34.5% FG shooting -- my third favorite stat of this game.

There wasn't a lot of nervous excitement in the second half tonight, but it was fun to just be able to analyze the game instead of fretting about possibly losing it.

Onward!

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
Last Edit: 4 years 3 months ago by HawkErrant.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jayhawk969, murphyslaw, KMT

• konza63
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
4 years 3 months ago #24259 by konza63
Tonight's game was a good old-fashioned butt-whooping. After a bit of a sluggish start where we allowed the Cyclones to hang around, we put the pedal to the metal and just let it fly. So impressive on all levels.

Things I enjoyed the most that haven't already been touched on:

* Seeing Braun shoot the ball (which he avoided against WVU) and with aplomb! He has a very quick release, almost a flick motion, and his shots are beautiful. More, please! And just great floor presence overall, I would add. I mentioned the other night that, if he starts shooting 3s to go with the rest of his game, look out. Tonight he showed us what that looks like.

* D-Mac's thunderous putback. Wow. Just. Wow. That was an insane play. My son and I had to rewind it and watch it 3 times. Lol... He obviously took his limited minutes against WVU to heart and came out with massive intensity the entire game. Great hustle, and he added a lot to the team.

* Dok with some smooth passing from the paint outside, but also (nicely) finding D-Mac for the slam. Having those two behemoths out there when they're playing like this is a major plus.

* D-Mac with a really, really pretty turnaround jumper from around 15 feet on the baseline. It's a tough, low-percentage shot and he nailed it.

* Nice rebounding and (again) solid D. Our D is approaching past Self team levels (years back when it was our staple), and I absolutely love it! We will win a lot of games this year from that alone.

* Team 3-point shooting. I've said it from the jump...given our point guard prowess, our driving ability (DD and Garrett), and our beef, if this team develops solid, consistent 3-point shooting, we become elite. Tonight is (so far) a bit of an anomaly this year...but let's hope it's the start of a trend. Agbaji got in on it too, which was nice. Now if Moss can just get off the schneid and get some confidence going...

* DD outshining Haliburton, leading the team nicely. Not much more to say there, but he had a fantastic game. Great floor leadership, athleticism, and winning effort.

We don't get to relish massive KU blowouts in Ames very often. I'll do so with this one for awhile, even though we know this is a down ISU team this year. I'll still take it because this is their annual Super Bowl.

More of what we got tonight going forward, please! (Starting with Baylor on Saturday - tough, tough game, but our chance to start making our mark in the league and further padding our resume if we can get the W)

Rock Chalk...

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.
The following user(s) said Thank You: murphyslaw

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
4 years 3 months ago - 4 years 3 months ago #24260 by HawkErrant
Konza63, I believe Corpus has noted that so far this season this team is looking to be one of the best in Bill Self KU history, and just possibly one of the top D’s in Div 1 this season.

More notes, these from Shay Wildeboor of Jayhawk Slant (Link)

Shay wrote:
STAT OF THE GAME
52.9 – Kansas connected on 10-of-19 3-point tries, good for a 52.9% clip from beyond the arc. It was the best shooting performance of the season from deep for the Jayhawks, who entered the night hitting 35.6% from three. The 10 triples were KU’s most in a conference road game since sinking 17 threes at Texas on Dec. 29, 2017. Sophomore Ochai Agbaji connected on four of those 3-pointers, one shy of his career high.

NOTES

After the Cylones opened the game hitting nine of its first 17 shots (52.4 percent), the Jayhawk defense held ISU to just 26.8% (11-of-41) over the final 28 minutes of the contest.

Kansas’ 26-point victory was the largest by the Jayhawks in Ames since KU defeated Iowa State 50-17 on Jan. 17, 1919.

The 20-point lead by KU was the largest by a Jayhawk team in the Self era in Ames replacing a previous mark of 13 set on Jan. 23, 2010 when KU led 38-25 at the half. The lead was Kansas’ largest Big 12 road lead at the half since KU led Texas 47-23 in Austin on Feb. 29, 2016.

Iowa State’s 53 points was the fewest by the Cyclones against KU in Ames since ISU tallied 52 on Feb. 28, 1999.

KU limited its opponent to under 60 points for the eighth time this season. The Jayhawks are 7-1 in those games with a 175-2 record in the Self era.

Kansas’ 10 3-pointers were its most in a Big 12 road game since the Jayhawks sunk 17 at Texas on Dec. 29, 2019.

Devon Dotson Tallied 20 points, marking the 20th-straight 10-plus point game. The last time Dotson didn’t score in double digits was against Oklahoma on Mar. 5, 2019.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
Last Edit: 4 years 3 months ago by HawkErrant.
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63, jayhawk969, murphyslaw, KMT

More
4 years 3 months ago #24262 by CorpusJayhawk
After the amazing game last night, my DPPi has KU as the 2nd best defense in the country behind only Virginia.

Don't worry about the mules, just load the wagon!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63, HawkErrant

More
4 years 3 months ago #24266 by NotOstertag
Kind of a snoozer by the end, but I'll certainly take it. The nice thing was it was a true "step on their throats" win where we didn't let them back into it at all.

Halliburton is a great player and our defense shut him down. Nice to see Agbaji make some shots. Moss still hasn't delivered.

After WVU, I was certainly impressed with Braun. 2nd game in a row and it has my attention. One more game before I'll confirm it as a trend, but the kid appears to be the kind of player I like: skilled and tough. Baylor will have a good scouting report on him since he's now established himself as a threat, so a good game on Saturday will be telling.

While the combination of DeSousa, Moss and Enaruna only contributed a combined 4 points they all had 15 minutes or more (Moss had 17) which is valuable from a development perspective. I haven't written any of those guys off, so getting significant minutes is a deposit in the experience bank that should be helpful down the road.

All in all, an enjoyable game.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant

More
4 years 3 months ago #24271 by JRhawk
No tv for me with this one, so I just followed the play-by-play and box score on ESPN. Given that, reading that Garrett missed 10 1/2 minutes in first half was news to me. Am hoping his ankle injuries don't become a nightly occurrence. Was pleasantly surprised at DOK's free throw shooting and the teams 3 point shooting. During the game I thought wow, Garrett is doing a super job on Haliburton, when in fact a lot of the credit goes to Agbaji.
I was able to see the Baylor at TT game Tues night - Baylor was a beast on the offensive glass - will be an interesting game this Sat, but think the Hawks can send a message.

More
4 years 3 months ago #24275 by NotOstertag
Garrett stepped on one of those barges known as Dok's feet. It was a textbook "step on something, roll the ankle" deals. He walked to the locker room under his own power and obviously got back in the game. I'm not worried and it's the kind of thing that can happen to anybody at any time (not some kind of thing he seems prone to).

Maybe it was just me, but when Dok knocked down his first couple of FT's it seemed like the ISU fans were a little deflated. Kind of like going to your favorite restaurant only to find that they're out of your favorite item on the menu. Sorry, not sorry, ISU. :D

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot