Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

UNC finally Will fall from the top 25

• CorpusJayhawk
  • CorpusJayhawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
4 years 4 months ago #24035 by CorpusJayhawk
UNC lost to Wofford. They were rated 68th in my DPPI. They are now rated 83rd. They should not have been in the top 25. Now they shouldn't be in the top 50. If they receive a single vote it will be ridiculous. Dayton is up to 4th in the DPPI. KU has the 2nd rated offense and 5th rated defense. West Virginia has moved steadily up and is currently in 13th. Watch out for the Mountaineers. Baylor is in 12th. But KU is currently in such a dominant 3rd place that the probability of winning the Big 12 is up to 92%. Experience says that will change once conference play gets here. But KU sure has been strong thus far. As I type this, Ohio St. is losing to Minnesota by 9 at halftime. This can be considered a major upset since Ohio St. is favored by 19.7 and Minnesota had only a 1.4% probability of winning. Ohio St. has been dominant thus far. Has it been real? I guess we will find out in the next 20 minutes of play.

Don't worry about the mules, just load the wagon!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bayhawk, jaythawk1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
4 years 4 months ago #24039 by NotOstertag
Your numbers certainly reflect reality and they shouldn't even get a sniff at the top 25. Moreover, with their only real "star" sidelined indefinitely with a knee injury, it's likely that Roy's boys are in for some bumpy travel ahead and might be out of the rankings for a while. Maybe they can use the time for some fake studying in fake classes, but I digress.... In any event, if UNC doesn't implode, it'll be quite a coaching job by Roy and I'm not sure he has it in him.

As for where they wind up in terms of actual ranking by AP and coach voters, I've learned not to make predictions, nor to rely on silly things like "data" or "facts" to cloud my judgement of what happens in the polls. Instead, I'll rely on Porthawk's prodigious prognosticating and professional poll predictions (I call it the "P6 algorithm") to figure out what's going on in the pollsters' heads.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot

More
4 years 4 months ago #24042 by NotOstertag
....hmmmm.....ok, maybe not the coaches poll.

But Wofford is really one of the stronger teams from Spartanburg SC. Easily top 5 in town.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot

More
4 years 4 months ago #24043 by porthawk
The P6 algorithm...I'll like it!

And not having looked at the polls yet, My guess is that UNC is 2nd on other receiving votes. I'll hit "submit" here and go look.

More
4 years 4 months ago #24044 by porthawk
And they were first in other receiving votes. Still seems way too high based on their record, who's injured, and all of the data from Corpus.
apnews.com/APTop25CollegeBasketballPoll
The following user(s) said Thank You: jaythawk1

More
4 years 4 months ago #24045 by NotOstertag
....and shockingly still ranked (#23) on the coaches poll. www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/rankings

That's what's really blowing my mind.

The following user(s) said Thank You: jaythawk1