Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Devonte Graham sets record

• NotOstertag
  • NotOstertag's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
4 years 3 months ago #23954 by NotOstertag
247Sports: Devonte' Graham sets Hornets franchise record for 3-pointers.
247sports.com/college/kansas/Article/Dev...-Warriors-139858177/

Congrats Devonte!

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, gorillahawk, jayhawk969

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
4 years 3 months ago #23956 by CorpusJayhawk
Devonte' is having a monster year and that is a significant understatement. Ponder these numbers.

PER is the measure of a players overall productivity. Top 5 players in PER are James Harden, Giannis Antetokounmpo, Luka Doncic, LeBron James and Anthony Davis. Out of 353 NBA players who qualify statistically, Devonte' is 17th. That puts him ahead of some $25MM per year plus players like Embiid, Aldridge, McCollum, Kemba Walker, Hassan Whiteside, Tobias Harris, Jrue Holliday, Kawhi Leonard, Chris Paul, Al Horford, Andrew Wiggins, Kyrie Irving, and many more. In fact, of the 40 NBA players currently making $25MM per year or more, Devonte' has a higher total PER than 29 of them. But the NBA is a business and you pay for productivity. Of the 523 players on NBA contracts, Devonte's PER per dollar thus far this season ranks 2nd only behind Eric Paschall and it is not even close to third place. Paschall is also having a super ultra monster year. He makes $898k per year and is producing 11,362 PER for 12,648 PER per $. Devonte' makes $1.42MM per year and has produced 13,887 PER thus far for a PER per $ of 9,801. 3rd place is Pascal Siakam at 6,412 PER per $ and it drops from there. Something tells me Devonte' is set for a monster raise when his contract is up.

Don't worry about the mules, just load the wagon!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: gorillahawk, newtonhawk

• NotOstertag
  • NotOstertag's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
4 years 3 months ago #23957 by NotOstertag
Quoting Corpus:
Something tells me Devonte' is set for a monster raise when his contract is up.

Exactly what I'm thinking. I would hope that his agent is doing a similar analysis to what you've shown us.

Happy he's finding success in the top levels of the game. Happy for him, and happy that a guy with such strong KU ties can help show what's possible if you come out of our program.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot
The following user(s) said Thank You: gorillahawk

More
4 years 3 months ago #23958 by JRhawk
Hollinger's NBA Player Stats
Hopefully the above works. I got there from a web search on PER. Anyway, congrats to Devonte. I note however that he is currently 81st in all NBA players, not 17th as stated. In general PER terms, former KU players Diallo is 8th and Embiid is 11th - not too shabby.

More
4 years 3 months ago #23966 by CorpusJayhawk
JR,

Note, the PER shown on the Hollinger website is PER per minute played. So for instance, Chieck Diallo is listed as 8th, but he has played only 154 minutes. I used the total PER which is PER per minute times minutes played. That represents the total productivity thus far on the season. In that Devonte’ is 17th. I may not have made that clear in my post. The PER per minute is a measure of pure effectiveness but total productivity is what I am focusing on.

Don't worry about the mules, just load the wagon!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: JRhawk

More
4 years 3 months ago #23967 by porthawk
I suggest watching the video that's embedded in the article. It shows him hitting a number of his threes. By the last few, you can tell he's really feeling it.

More
4 years 3 months ago #23969 by JRhawk
CJ,
Thanks for the explanation. In looking further at Hollinger's chart I see it only requires 6.09 mpg, which is ridiculously low. Thinking that Diallo was actually doing that well just shows how very little I follow the NBA. Back to Devonte - I hope he keeps it up at least long enough to get a good payday from it.
RCHJKU - Send those Buffs packing this afternoon.