Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Rewatching the Dayton game — Dotson

• HawkErrant
  • HawkErrant's Avatar Topic Author
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
1 week 11 hours ago #23915 by HawkErrant
Stuffed full of Thanksgiving goodness and watching a “due to time constraints” butchered ESPN replay of the Dayton game (somehow I never recorded the original game :dry:).

Anna commenting how much Devon Dotson has impressed her this season.

I told her that from what I’ve seen so far of him, DD may just be the best PG I’ve ever seen play at KU, over Aaron, Frank and maybe even Mario.

Of course, not being a Kansas kid, I never saw Jo Jo play. Anna was born and raised in Lawrence, so I asked her how Devon compared to the KU great, who is probably her favorite KU player ever.

First time she has ever favorably compared another player to Jo Jo. Speed, ball handling and driving ability, she’s liking what she’s seeing.

Your thoughts on Devon and how he compares to past KU point guards?

Especially if you were also fortunate enough to see Jo Jo @KU to make that comparison?
(His Boston time doesn’t count, okay?):P

“The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil but because of the people who don’t do anything about it” ~Albert Einstein

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
6 days 22 hours ago #23919 by Riverhawk
Hey Hawk,
Dotson was absolutely terrific against Dayton. He has to be the fastest KU guard ever, and he has already made some really impressive strides over a very good freshman year. I don't think he is quite at the level of Jo-Jo, Sherron, and Mario...yet. He is not the passer or defender they were. Not to say he can't get there, but he has to expend so much energy on offense with this team (and play so many minutes) that something else has to give. It's hard to compare eras, but Jo-Jo is still #1 in my book. I remember one game where he only scored 9 points, but he completely controlled the whole contest.
Classy guy, who knows what he would have done if his teams hadn't played slow-down, Ted Owens basketball. And I believed him when he told me at his book signing that HE DID NOT step out of bounds against Texas Western! Still convinced all these years later that would have been another championship for KU. Just two cents from an old guy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63, HawkErrant, murphyslaw

• HawkErrant
More
6 days 21 hours ago #23920 by HawkErrant
Hey, River, I agree with a lot of what you wrote. I would note that Anna agrees with you on Jo Jo and Owens. *Every* time Anna waxes poetic regarding Jo Jo she always finishes with what he could have done but for Ted Owens’ refusal to a adopt fast break basketball.

“The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil but because of the people who don’t do anything about it” ~Albert Einstein

More
6 days 20 hours ago #23921 by Riverhawk
Well, hats off to Anna! Actually, the second I hit "submit" earlier I was kind of kicking myself for not including guys like Adonis, Aaron, Kevin, Frank, Devonte...the list could go on. KU has been blessed with many top notch point guards! Anyway, fun topic.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant

More
6 days 15 hours ago #23924 by NotOstertag
Dotson is a great player. For "standard PG skills" of running the offense and getting the ball where it needs to go, he's definitely the guy. I don't see him lighting it up from 3, but I DO see him being able to get to the rim seemingly at will. There's a touch of Frank Mason in his fearlessness. He's a good defender, but Garrett is better. He's beyond fast..he has a gear that nobody else seems to have.

Is he the best I've seen at KU? I don't know. I do know that he has the skills to put him into a reasonable argument to be the best of all of them since 2000. Was Sherron, Frank, Devante, or Jacque better? I don't know, but the fact that you could put him in that group and have a reasonable debate on the subject speaks volumes.

Enjoy him, folks. He won't be around much longer.

14 championships, 13 home losses since 2003
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, wchawk, murphyslaw, jaythawk1

• hoshi
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
6 days 15 hours ago #23926 by hoshi
With so many great point guards in the Self era (except for Nadir) both here and at Illinois, I think a lot of the credit should also go to Coach Self getting the most out of his guards. Did any of you expect Garrett to develop as well as he has both on defense as well as his back-up point guard skills, when needed? This is a Self team. Dotson is up there but I want to see how the rest of the year goes but so far it looks good.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, murphyslaw

More
6 days 13 hours ago #23927 by jayhawk969
Jo Jo vs Dotson

Glad we have had both.

There will never be another Jo Jo
I barely missed a home game graduating in 69. He had size, agility, could shoot it, and it was before the 3 point era.

Two very different point guards with their own strengths. Go Dotson put your name in the rafters. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant

• HawkErrant
More
6 days 11 hours ago #23930 by HawkErrant
Thanks all for your thoughts!

969, as I noted earlier I never got to see Jo Jo play, but from everything everyone who did has ever told me, he's my choice for the best KU PG ever, and one of my "no brainer" KU all-time starting 5, along with Wilt, Danny and Clyde. I don't start getting wishy-washy on the lineup at all until after I've named those guys.

And yes, indeed, hoshi, credit to HCBS for developing and getting some really fantastic play from his guards. Like you I would have to put Naadir as the nadir* of his PG disciples. This season, which is beginning to look like for certain will be Devon's last at KU, will tell the tale.

And River -- Aaron, Frank, Devonté, Mario, Sherron, RussRob and before Self OMG yes, I loved Adonis -- a plethora of riches at the point for KU. I liked Kevin Pritchard as well, and it's hard to deny that putting him at PG in 1988 to solve the "problem" there was one of Larry's better moves (and that's saying a lot), but I think everyone would agree KP was not the same level as the aforementioned guys when it came to PG.

*Hoshi, I always thought it ironic that his name was so close to that word, since try as he might he just wasn't more than barely adequate at the point for KU.