Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Tech takes down Sparty!

• NotOstertag
  • NotOstertag's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
4 years 4 months ago #23869 by NotOstertag
Beware Jayhawks. Let MSU hold the "big upset" role by themselves.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, gorillahawk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

• konza63
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
4 years 4 months ago - 4 years 4 months ago #23881 by konza63
I was bummed to hear this, actually, because a) I wanted KU to play the team in the championship that was preseason #1, just to go head to head with what (by April?) could be elite competition in Sparty; and b) I had circled the date on my calendar as a Thanksgiving week viewing treat.

Oh well. Better them than us!

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.
Last Edit: 4 years 4 months ago by konza63.

• NotOstertag
  • NotOstertag's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
4 years 4 months ago #23883 by NotOstertag
I'm bummed too.

Of the 4 teams opening the season up in New York, only Duke is still unbeaten, and we won't see them until perhaps in March.

Kentucky fell like a rock after losing to Evansville (boo hoo), so the KU/MSU "consolation game" would have not only been a really good barometer of where we sit, but would likely have also been a "very good win" for whoever won the game. Instead, MSU is likely to drop in the rankings and we don't get to see the how it would have turned out for the "consolation game" of the opening weekend matchups.

In short, I'd have rather seen KU beat MSU to firmly establish us as the #2 of the 4 teams from New York which won't happen now.

Still makes me think that if we had only had 22 or 23 turnovers vs. Duke, we'd likely be #1 right now. Oh well, I'm happy with top 5 for the time being.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot