Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

47 straight home opener wins

• HawkErrant
  • HawkErrant's Avatar Topic Author
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
4 years 5 months ago #23762 by HawkErrant
Could have been better, but better than the Puke game.

Keep getting better, KU!

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
The following user(s) said Thank You: jayhawk969

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

• konza63
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
4 years 5 months ago #23765 by konza63
I thought they played pretty well after getting the first half out of the way. That stretch of clank-clank-clank shooting we had was putrid, but we turned the corner eventually and the shots started falling.

It was especially nice to see them fall from outside, and that we eventually crawled up toward the 40% mark for threes (38.5%). We shot 46% overall for the game (not great, not horrible) and held UNCG to 39% with decent D, only committed 10 turnovers (yet only forced 9), and out-rebounded them (though they weren't nearly as big as us and one could argue the size of the advantage (42-35) should've been higher.

Their player (Miller) was a stud, and really brought it in the first half. I thought Garrett did a great job shutting him down (containing him) in the second, and overall I just really liked the play of Marcus. He even hit a couple threes! Woo-hoo!

I thought Enaruna looked really good...Dotson got back to being Dotson (solid)...and Moss shook off the initial jitters to hit 3 shots from outside (and grab 3 rebounds).

Overall, we had a better offensive flow (eye test, anyway) and our spacing was greatly improved over the Duke game. (Stretching it out and hitting from outside will do that) I thought Dok was more of a force inside, but he, D-Mac, and Silvio still suffer from lack of solid post moves and good feet with the ball. On the positive side, D-Mac did hit that mid-range outside shot, which was a good sign.

On the downside, the Wilson injury really sucks. I feel badly for the kid, though he's already tweeting today that he's in good spirits and loves his life (which means he likes KU and is happy with his decision). May he recover soon. Wonder if this means they'll redshirt him if it's a 3-month (at least) recovery? Self hinted at shutting him down last night. Would they then possibly bring Mitch out of redshirt status? Might make good sense. Has Mitch worked on his outside shot? He brings good energy and can help at the 4 defensively. Might make sense...

Onward and upward. Our team looks better, though it wasn't Duke - UNCG. But UNCG is a game bunch, and I could see them doing well enough in their league to get in the dance. I'm glad they pushed us for awhile.

Hope the improvement continues...

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bayhawk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.