Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Memphis ineligible freshman...

• replayloungehawk
  • replayloungehawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
4 years 5 months ago #23758 by replayloungehawk
So I see Memphis has a prized freshman that has been ruled ineligible. Yet they file a restraining order and are still playing him tonight. I don't even know what the heck that means. Ridiculous!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
4 years 5 months ago #23761 by Bayhawk
Fight the power. Resist the NCAA false authority!

RC

The end is nothing; the road is all.
-- Jules Michelet

More
4 years 5 months ago #23775 by NotOstertag
Saw an article this morning about this. It's a little more complicated than Penny Hardaway just giving the kid money.

Years ago, Hardaway donated a large sum to Memphis basketball making him a "booster". Then he paid the kid's moving expenses when he was still in HS, and (I think) before he was the Memphis coach. Now the kid, who he clearly knew BEFORE he was the coach but after he was a "booster" is enrolled at Memphis.

The other point the article made is that not only does Memphis KNOW that the NCAA has ruled against them, but that the university is circling the wagons to openly defy the NCAA and embroil them in a long and protracted legal fight. Meanwhile, they'll keep playing him. The article says that this might be the turning point where the NCAA will lose control of college basketball.

Anyway, good article: The NCAA suddenly has a huge problem: How Memphis could change everything

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, Bayhawk, wardhawk

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
4 years 5 months ago #23778 by HawkErrant

NotOstertag wrote: Saw an article this morning about this. It's a little more complicated than Penny Hardaway just giving the kid money.

... The article says that this might be the turning point where the NCAA will lose control of college basketball.

TTBOMK you are correct on all points, NotO!

And I hope this is the beginning of the end for the NCAA as far as college basketball is concerned. They’ve been on a slippery slope for years, then they lost *all* credibility with the UNC debacle. Now the Commission recommendations, the California pay ruling and Memphis... and I hope KANSAS standing up to them as well... it’s pretty clear that with the changing environment, time is NOT on their side.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
The following user(s) said Thank You: wardhawk