Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Self and Long have just renewed the Misery series

• konza63
  • konza63's Avatar Topic Author
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
4 years 6 months ago #23599 by konza63
Unbelievable.

www2.kusports.com/news/2019/oct/21/ku-an...nt-reignite-border-/

I. Do. Not. Get. This. At. All. :pinch: :sick: :pinch:

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.
The following user(s) said Thank You: gorillahawk, murphyslaw

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
4 years 6 months ago #23600 by NotOstertag
So what do we get out of this, and what do the meth heads from Columbia get out of it?

We get:
>A nationally televised game. Oh wait, we already have all of our games on national TV.
>A game that generates interest from the KC metro area. Oh wait, we already get a ton of press there.

They get:
>A nationally televised game. This is a big deal because they haven't been a relevant basketball program since they left the Big 12.
>To host KU at their gym a few times. Maybe these games will result in more than the typical 1/3 empty seats Mizzou normally draws.
>to pretend for a moment that they're actually more than a sub-middle level program who are basically cannon fodder for the real team in the SEC.

This feels a lot like charity. We get bubkis, they get to pretend to be a big deal (remember how the Big 10 was supposedly begging them to come there...but they weren't). If we're going to be doling out charity to other teams, I'd rather dole it out to Wichita State, or some other more deserving program. In fact, I'd have loved it if KU had said, "we want to give a boost to a needy team. We considered Mizzou and some other programs. We went with Nebraska."

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63, HawkErrant, Bayhawk, LadyHawk, gorillahawk, murphyslaw

• konza63
More
4 years 6 months ago #23601 by konza63
Twitter is exploding...against this decision. Running 95% against among KU fans.

Is this Self and Long’s idea for how to change the subject from the NCAA investigation?

“Beyond disappointed” doesn’t cut it...

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.
The following user(s) said Thank You: gorillahawk

• konza63
More
4 years 6 months ago - 4 years 6 months ago #23602 by konza63
Another thought:

Why in the heck would we seek this (horrible outcome) without getting a commitment to play them in football? Since we are on the way up there?

THAT is where exposure, money, and buzz could actually HELP us a little.

I feel like Long got taken to the cleaners on this. And Self backed him, in a way that’s tone-deaf to most of the fan and alum base.

Last Edit: 4 years 6 months ago by konza63.

More
4 years 6 months ago #23604 by murphyslaw
No, thank you.

More
4 years 6 months ago #23606 by AZhawk87
I like pretty much everything I've seen of Long so far, but not this.

His quote was he "quietly" asked fans and got big support for this. B.S.

I still haven't met a Mizzou fan who is friendly about the KU rivalry. They're usually jerks about finding out I'm a Jayhawk. I don't even engage in the rivalry banter with a Mizzou person like I do with KY or UNC people I meet, as it's just no fun.

But, I don't think it's a gift to Mizzou. Getting national and local exposure to recruits by playing us won't ignite recruiting success. Getting drubbed by us will highlight how far they've fallen and are not a premier program.
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63, HawkErrant, LadyHawk

More
4 years 6 months ago - 4 years 6 months ago #23608 by Kong
The KU-Moo rivalry became very toxic towards the end and Moos open attempt to destroy the Big 12 along with many of their fans constant wishing and hoping for the dissolution of the Big 12 and KU getting stranded is enough for me to completely forget and ignore them.

Even today, I will run across a Mooster and they will make some nasty comment. I just laugh, because since they left I barely give them a thought. I have no idea who is on their team, no idea who their coaches are, or anything about them. They are irrelevant. When I tell them this they get upset, but it is true. Once they stopped playing us, they are as relevant as LaSalle is or any other team that is never on the national scene and has not ties to KU. An SEC fan that I know every now and them makes a comment about their boorish behavior and I just laugh. They are the SECs problem now, not ours.

On top of which, this will only help Moo in recruiting and monetarily while gaining little to nothing for KU. Pretty sad in my mind as I had all but forgotten about them. Can't even tell you a single name of any of their players and had no idea who their coach was.

Funny side story. I was at a Nationals/Cardinals game a few years ago (Go NATS!) and there was a loud mouthed guy in the men's room yelling at one of the janitors. I looked and it was a Cardinals fan wearing a Moo hat. The janitor was walking away from him and towards me and he said St.Louis fans were the worst. I told him it wasn't St.Louis, but Moo fan disguised as a Cards fan. He laughed.

Another thing I never understood about the rivalry. If you talk to a Mooster they will tell you how they dominate us. The records show that historically we are pretty even in football, but an absolute blowout in basketball. They aren't that close.

Anyway, it is a shame that we are doing this.

Visualize Whirled Peas
Last Edit: 4 years 6 months ago by Kong.
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63, HawkErrant, Bayhawk, LadyHawk, murphyslaw

• konza63
More
4 years 6 months ago - 4 years 6 months ago #23610 by konza63
I couldn't agree more, Kong. I feel the same way. After they left, I completely forgot about them. And I'll tell you something - it felt fantastic to do so. Liberating, even. It's like the old notion that life is short, and you shouldn't fill your life with negative, nasty people - well, that's the entire Misery fan base, so it was nice to say "Good riddance!" and be done with them.

I've yet to read, hear, or see one person (much less Long or Self, who are saying this is "good for KU") make the case as to WHY this is good for KU. Looking beyond whatever chump change we get out of playing them at Sprint, that is - which is meaningless and hardly offsets all the negatives of restarting this series.

I've also not met one person who says they actually MISSED Misery during the time we've not been playing them. And if I ever did, I'd check their alum/fan card and ask "Why?" Why in the world did you miss them?

Last point: we know how hate-filled and bile-spewing the Antlers and general Misery fan base are toward KU. Well, now we are on the cusp of NCAA sanctions, with Self and Townsend fingered in courtroom texts with insinuations of using shoe runners to get players to KU. Can you IMAGINE the signage and anti-KU garbage that they are going to bring into every game, to be displayed on national TV? (Thereby further dragging our school's reputation through the mud) How could Self and Long not think about such things? Why do this now?

Ugh.

Last Edit: 4 years 6 months ago by konza63.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, LadyHawk, murphyslaw

• hairyhawk
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
4 years 6 months ago #23611 by hairyhawk
Makes me wonder if the NCAA didn't suggest this would be a good gesture for the organization.

More
4 years 6 months ago #23613 by NotOstertag
Article today in KUSports has Bill Self explaining how this is "good for KU" by basically saying that with the limited number of open spots on the schedule, we should WANT to schedule the morons from Columbia as it will be a big draw.

I can't say I agree with him. Love HCBS to death, but his reasoning sounds a whole lot more like a sales pitch than anything else. I know the university has to sing from the same songbook on this stuff, but I felt like Bill was trying to sell me a junk car by claiming that the rust holes were "extra ventilation that I'd appreciate when it's hot out", the hole in the muffler was helping the "deep, throaty engine sound", and positioning the bald tires as "no tread, just like the use in racing."

He's doing his job, but I'm still not pleased. I'd really like it if our fans took on a "charity game to help MU basketball" position on the whole thing, with appropriate signage and attitude. Kind of like the time they made that giant John Brown painting that the students reproduced that other time.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63, LadyHawk, murphyslaw

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
4 years 6 months ago #23615 by HawkErrant
Konza, Kong, NotO, you have captured all of my reasons and sentiments regarding the school and its fans that I have gladly paid no attention to at all since they left in 2012. As I have said many times, I am all for rivalries, but the way this one has degenerated into so much hate from their fans -- as konzza63 wrote "life is short, and you shouldn't fill your life with negative, nasty people".

Amen, my brothers and sisters, amen.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63, wardhawk