Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Game attendance info please.

• rainyhawk
  • rainyhawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
4 years 6 months ago #23573 by rainyhawk
For my 70th birthday my kids decided we should do a trip to Kansas for a BB game (from Seattle area). 10 of us! We have tickets for the dec. 7 game with CO. Obviously general admission as there are so many of us. A couple of questions. First I read somewhere that GA seats aren’t seats but standing...is that true? Second, what kind of food is available in the Fieldhouse...it’s a 6:00 game so we will be eating dinner inside. Any other suggestions are welcome. First time I will be at a home game since graduating (undergrad 1971, law 1973). Thanks!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
4 years 6 months ago #23576 by jayhawknut
Rainy,

If you haven’t been to a game in 46 years, you will find many things different (mostly good) and some things the same (you’ll sit on the original benches, for instance). You will have a good time.

GA seats are in the NW corner and north end and south end. They are first come first served. Students are allowed in 2 hrs before tip and GA 1.5 hrs before. The gung ho students rush to get the north baseline seats and then up from there. Some will head to the south baseline. They stand during the game action and sit during timeouts, etc.

I suggest you arrive early enough to be among the first GA in. Your best bet is to go to the east entrance. You’ll want to go there anyway to see the statue of Phog. You’ll need to decide whether to go to the north seats or south seats. I suggest heading south. Less students stand in the south stands. Go to the KU athletics website for a seating chart. It will show you exactly where the student/GA seats are. That way you can head directly to your plan A and grab your 10 seats. I suggest two rows or maybe even three. That will be better and easier than 10 in one row.

Once you get to your seats, you’ll need to tag-team eating and roaming the field house. You’ll need someone to save your seats while you are away. Coats, etc may not be enough. You will want to see the original rules located in the walkway to De Bruce center, NE corner 2nd level. You’ll also want to walk around the first level – “museum” on the east side and time line of every BBall player on the west side plus some neat photos. From the second (or is it 3rd?) level west side you can see into the practice gym. If you get to campus early – say mid-day, try to see the east side museum and rules then so you can take your time.

I very rarely eat in AFH but the food is OK. Bates BBQ is my favorite and they have a great pulled pork sandwich. I believe Salty Iguana Mexican offers wraps (burritos?) and nachos, etc. I don’t know what else there is to eat but you won’t starve. You will find food and drink stalls in several locations on all 3 levels.

If you get in at 4:30, you’ll have an hour to tag-team your tour. I suggest you either get to your seats by 30 minutes prior to tipoff, or line the “tunnel” in the NW corner to see the players run on to the court. You’ll certainly want to be in your seats by 12 minutes prior. That’s when the players exit then we sing the alma mater and RC chant. The band starts playing at 45 prior, so you may be satisfied to sit and listen to them. By the way, they sit in the SE corner, lower level. I suggest you don’t try to get 2nd level seats behind them – the tubas will block your view.

Parking: if you intend to arrive late afternoon, your best bet is to park in the lot south of the Cap Fed biz school building – east side of Naismith SE of AFH. If you get to the area real early, park on Sunnyside – it’s free. All the lots around AFH cost $ and the close ones require a permit.

I bet you’ll plan to spend the day in Lawrence? Mass street is vibrant any time of day, and you must tour campus. You won’t believe how much it’s changed in 46 years. In addition to the Hill, you must tour “West campus” – all the buildings west of Iowa from 15th to 19th. In the AFH vicinity, be sure to see the James Naismith statue sitting on a park bench with a peach basket. Great photo op to sit beside him. It’s just east of the DeBruce center off the side walk south of Sunnyside between Naismith Drive and Irving (across the street from Murphy). Also pay attention to the walkway between DeBruce and AFH – it’s especially neat at night – the wall is stainless steel with the original rules cut out of the steel panels and back-lit.

Can’t think of anything else for now. I might be able to offer more info if you have other specific questions.

I guarantee you and your party will have a great time!
Rock Chalk
The following user(s) said Thank You: gorillahawk, jayhawk969, wardhawk, Wheatstate Gal

• Wheatstate Gal
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
4 years 6 months ago #23577 by Wheatstate Gal
Rainy. I’ve twice tried to respond to your inquiry and got timed out! Not happy.

Anyway, the short version: yes you will have a non-assigned seat in the GA section. IIRC you get directed to a section of GA seats on your tickets.

I haven’t eaten there.....only popcorn and a bottled Pepsi (yes, KU is a Pepsi school).

I hope you arrive in time to perhaps stroll thru the Booth Hall.

I’m envious in the Best way......have a wonderful time while returning to Mecca, surrounded by those who obviously love you very much.

I hope you have better luck than I do keeping your emotions in check.
The following user(s) said Thank You: gorillahawk, rainyhawk

• rainyhawk
  • rainyhawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
4 years 6 months ago #23579 by rainyhawk
Great info...thanks! I have been in campus since graduating, most recently for a day 3 years ago but didn’t have a lot of time. And 20+ years ago I came with youngest son twice for him to attend Roy’s summer camp. We hope to get to the rules and museum early in the day to not be rushed and go together. I’m the only KU grad though all 3 sons have visited the campus once many many years ago so I’m the only one to put it into context. Really appreciate all your information!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: gorillahawk