Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Man o' man, things have change since I was last in the old barn . . . .

• Bayhawk
  • Bayhawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
4 years 6 months ago #23550 by Bayhawk
For starters, center court was an outline of the state, not the Jayhawk (which I really like a lot more). But last night, well, let's just say the house that Wilt built has gone to the dog . . .

--RC :ohmy:

The end is nothing; the road is all.
-- Jules Michelet
The following user(s) said Thank You: gorillahawk, Wheatstate Gal

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
4 years 6 months ago #23551 by rainyhawk
Unfortunately heard about the Snoop Dog piece on Sports Center last night! Not sure what you meant about center court with the online of the state? The photos/videos I've seen still show a giant Jayhawk in the middle of the court?

• Wheatstate Gal
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
4 years 6 months ago - 4 years 6 months ago #23552 by Wheatstate Gal
I was living in CA when Long Beach native, Calvin Broadus, became Snoop Doggy Dog. Although I couldn’t identify a Snoop song if my life depended on it .......I doubt that anyone has ever put Snoop’s show into the family entertainment category. AD Long is taking the hit, as he should. News item not needed at this time.

Many moons ago when I was at KU.....The raciest concert I saw on campus was the “Ike and Tina Turner Revue”......Tina’s dancing, short dress and those legs....good show.

I always figured the State of Ks outline was Roy’s homage to UNC.....the state outline is at center court in the Dean Dome, IIRC. I recall a red circle with a block K in the past. Quite honestly, don’t recall when I was there what was at center court.
Last Edit: 4 years 6 months ago by Wheatstate Gal.

• Bayhawk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
4 years 6 months ago #23553 by Bayhawk
Rainy, In the dark ages when I went to KU, going from class to class holding a torch to light my way, the center of the bball court was an outline of the state of Kansas with -- I believe -- a big "K" in the middle of it. I looked, but I can't find any pictures. The BIG Jayhawk we have now is so much better IMHO. I'll keep an eye out for an old picture . . . .

--RC

-- Jules Michelet

• Bayhawk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
4 years 6 months ago - 4 years 6 months ago #23554 by Bayhawk
Found this. In hindsight I can't tell if it's an outline of the state or an old version of the KU flag . . .

] imgur.com/a/FhT8rqm [/img]

www.google.com/search?hl=en&biw=1135&bih...imgrc=k0q6uJxAuSoNmM :

RC

-- Jules Michelet
Last Edit: 4 years 6 months ago by Bayhawk.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wheatstate Gal

• Wheatstate Gal
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
4 years 6 months ago #23556 by Wheatstate Gal
Good photos, Bay. Obviously I’m thinking of center court in Hoch. I must have seen that in that Wilt movie, Jayhawkers (I think it was called)......
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bayhawk

More
4 years 6 months ago #23561 by rainyhawk
Bay...misread your message...thought you meant they’d now changed it back. We were probably there around the same time (1967-73 for me). I honestly don’t recall what was there..even though I went to every game!

I did find this from 1970...circle with K in the middle. < blogs.lib.ku.edu/spencer/tag/allen-field-house/ >

For some reason I thought Self brought back the big center jayhawk, but wasn’t sure about that.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bayhawk

More
4 years 6 months ago #23563 by NotOstertag
Ok, I'm going to preface my comments with 2 statements:

1.) Late night is for the students first, everybody else second. I feel strongly that college sports NEED to cater to the kids, not the alumni, rich benefactors, agents, or anybody else. What I liked in the 1980s is very different than what the STUDENTS like today and that's ok with me.

2.) I have a twisted sense of humor and often find things funny that "more serious" people don't.

So now onto the Snoop Dogg controversy. When I heard KU landed Snoop as the entertainment, my thought was "good for KU for being able to draw an A List celebrity to bring attention to our great program." After that, I didn't think about it much. I actually worked as crew/security for Roy's first late night.

Saturday morning, my ESPN app pinged and the headline "KU AD apologizes for Snoop Dogg performance" flashed across my phone and I literally burst out laughing. I'm sorry folks, it's S N O O P D O G G. Yes, he's buddies with Martha Stewart, but his primary identity revolves around rap music, gang culture, large quantities of pot, bling, sexism, and a hedonistic lifestyle. I'm ok with that. I don't listen to much of his music, but I accept the cartoon character he portrays as part of the social fabric of today.

The fact that KU was "surprised" by this is also baffling. Who did they think they were booking, Barry Manilow? Pat Boone? My favorite part of this was Snoop's response today where he said, "when you pay for Snoop Dogg, you going to get Snoop Dogg."

So while I get it that the AD has to go on record and apologize, and I get it that some old prudes and parents of kids were offended, if you read the students' comments, they loved it. In that case, it's 100% ok by me. If I was attending with young kids, I'd probably have just left before Snoop started his thing. On the other hand, if I were there without kids, I'd probably have enjoyed the hell out of watching the STUDENTS have a blast with it, even it wasn't MY style of entertainment.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, Bayhawk, gorillahawk, jaythawk1

More
4 years 6 months ago #23564 by hoshi
I’m with you NO. We do live in LFK don’t we.

“The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits”. Albert Einstein
The following user(s) said Thank You: gorillahawk, NotOstertag

More
4 years 6 months ago #23566 by porthawk
And an article from ESPN with more of Snoop's comments
www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/sto...gonna-get-snoop-dogg
The following user(s) said Thank You: gorillahawk, jaythawk1

More
4 years 6 months ago #23568 by NotOstertag
I lived in LFK before it was called that, for 4 wonderful years. I've been in the NY(f)C area since.

Nevertheless, whenever I see young people doing something that I a.) don't understand, and b.) gets me a little angry, I remind myself that when I was in my late teens, I took pleasure in doing things that made "old people" (who I am now) upset.

Didn't they used to say, "never trust anybody over 30"? I'm 20 past that now and I'm glad that there are still kids out there shaking things up, even if my first reaction is negative. If they get a rise out of me, they're just keeping up the tradition. God bless 'em. In 20 years, THEIR kids are going to annoy them with weird music, stupid fashion, and questionable cultural decisions. If I'm still here in 20 years, I hope to be sitting in my rocking chair giggling.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bayhawk, gorillahawk, jaythawk1

• jaythawk1
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • RCJH! e'77, b'77
More
4 years 6 months ago - 4 years 6 months ago #23570 by jaythawk1
I'm past that second 20...no rocking chair yet...and laughing my a$$ off!

Education Is the ability to listen to almost anything without losing your temper or your self-confidence~Robert Frost
Last Edit: 4 years 6 months ago by jaythawk1.
The following user(s) said Thank You: gorillahawk, hoshi

More
4 years 6 months ago #23571 by hoshi
I’m approaching my 4th 20 and still feel like I can relate. Helps being a prof for 50 years. Being around students keeps one you. LFK helps.

“The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits”. Albert Einstein
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, gorillahawk

More
4 years 6 months ago #23574 by porthawk
Does the F stand for what I think it means? I don't think I've ever heard of that initialism before. The closest thing I know to LFK is the name of our fellow board member, LKF.
The following user(s) said Thank You: gorillahawk

More
4 years 6 months ago #23575 by sasnak
I had to google it because I didn't have a clue what y'all were talkin' about. Interesting read.

It'll feel better when it stops hurting

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
4 years 6 months ago #23584 by HawkErrant

porthawk wrote: Does the F stand for what I think it means? I don't think I've ever heard of that initialism before. The closest thing I know to LFK is the name of our fellow board member, LKF.

Yes it does.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"