Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Go to guys...

More
8 years 3 months ago #1569 by Kong
I remember several years ago, the discussion as to whether or not we had a "go to" guy on the team. Some years you can say that in the clutch, I want so and so to be the guy and take the shot. (I personally felt that way at the beginning of the 07-08 campaign with respect to Chalmers. There was something about him that screamed get me the ball when it counts.)

Some years we don't have that guy. In those years the attack is much more balanced and I believe we have what I termed situational go to guys. Depending on the matchups or depending on what the situation is we have an answer. That is the way I feel about this years team. We have a lot of very versatile players and because of that, we have the ability to take advantage of a variety of advantages at any given time. It makes for a game where different players make big plays all the time and you don't have to rely on one guy. Compared to Hield or Curry from the past. It is a much tougher train to derail.

If there was anyone that had the fire to want to take the last shot, I think it would be Seldon or Mason with Ellis and Graham - yes Graham - right behind.

Makes for exciting times.

Visualize Whirled Peas

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
8 years 3 months ago #1573 by porthawk
And I would add Greene to that mix as well.

More
8 years 3 months ago #1575 by NotOstertag
I'd say it's a dead heat between Perry, Wayne, and Frank. Graham is next.

I don't think Greene is there yet. Part of being a "go-to guy" is being able to compensate when the play that's drawn up doesn't come off and you have to make something happen spontaneously.

Take Hield's last second hurl at the hoop the other night. Clearly whatever they drew up didn't come off, yet somehow he 1.) found a way to get the ball in his hands at the end, and 2.) got a shot off. Granted it was a terrible shot, but if you look at it, it looks like he's trying to get himself fouled in the process. With the crappy refs the other night, it just might have worked and with his 90%ish FF%, putting Hield on the line with 3 shots takes us to a 4th overtime.

Bottom line, "go-to guys" find a way to make it happen. Living here in New York, we spent years watching Reggie Miller nail 3 pointers from the exact same spot on the floor to win games against the Knicks. My sketchy memory has elevated it to the point where I think it was a bi-weekly occurrence. It was no secret what Miller was going to do in the last seconds when they needed a hoop, you could draw a circle on the floor ahead of time knowing exactly where he'd shoot from. All 5 guys on the opposing team also knew what was going to happen. Nevertheless, time and time again, he'd not only get the ball, but get the ball in the same spot. How it happened varied widely, but the end result was disturbingly predictable.

Back to KU, I think Ellis and Selden both have the ability to "make something happen" if/when a play doesn't happen like it was drawn up. Frank has an amazing ability to find the rim. You could lock him up in Leavenworth, and somehow he'd find his way to the rim in AFH before the shot clock expired.

I don't think Greene is there. If you run a play for him, and he has the open shot, he'll probably nail it. If, however, the defense reacts and disrupts the plan, he doesn't have the ability to creatively adapt to the situation on a moment's notice.

Graham seems to have that skill, but as the 4th best guy in the situation, I don't see him being called on in that situation.

To the original point, having 3 "go-to guy" options is a big advantage, seeing as Perry, Wayne and Frank each have their own unique skills that can be applied to a given situation.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sieverling

More
8 years 3 months ago #1579 by Bayhawk
I'm going with "Frank the tank" every time. That said, It sure is nice to have a plan B, C, . . .

RC

The end is nothing; the road is all.
-- Jules Michelet
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wheatstate Gal

More
8 years 3 months ago #1585 by murphyslaw
I'd be hard-pressed to vote against him, but it sure is nice to have so many options!

Personally, I'm just so grateful for a smart, steady point guard. (Two, even!) We suffered for years with erratic play and poor decisions with "Bad pass!" being a recurrent theme. Another common phrase from the radio announcers was, "He threw the ball to....Nobody!" Number 3 was their lamenting frequent drives into 5 opposing players under the basket resulting in turnovers.

Frank's history of making shots when they were most needed puts him right at the top of the list of go-to guys, IMHO.

More
8 years 3 months ago #1616 by porthawk
I hear ya, NotO. I agree with you what you have to say.

I was adding Greene to the mixed based on this comment from Kong:

"If there was anyone that had the fire to want to take the last shot, I think it would be Seldon or Mason with Ellis and Graham - yes Graham - right behind."

As for being in the position to take the last shot, I think Greene has the kind of mindset (i.e. confidence) to let it rip!

• Wheatstate Gal
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
8 years 3 months ago #1626 by Wheatstate Gal
HA!!!!

Haven't heard "it" stated this way before!