Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Frank Mason on Hield...

More
8 years 3 months ago #1563 by Kong
www.si.com/college-basketball/2016/01/07...state-north-carolina

A fantastic set of data and clips showing how well Frank did on Buddy. Just a lot of good information all around. Enjoy or ignore at your leisure.

Visualize Whirled Peas
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sieverling, OreadExpress, mtnMan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
8 years 3 months ago #1564 by OreadExpress
That's good stuff! Regulation, overtimes, and especially liked the breakdown of the cumulative final 2 possessions for end of regulation and each OT.

You can tell Winn was really geeking out with the breakdown. I had much the same reaction at first to HCBS's comment about holding Heild to 46, but Frank was like glue. Those clips show some of his great pressure D.

More
8 years 3 months ago #1570 by hairyhawk
I thought it interesting that Wayne held him to 2 points in 14 possessions.

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
8 years 3 months ago #1571 by HawkErrant
And OU came charging back after Self sat Wayne down to save him for the second half.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

More
8 years 3 months ago #1572 by porthawk
More kudos to Mason.

Mason’s defense on Hield was the primary reason the Sooners star didn’t score 60 or more points Monday. Self described Mason as “a pitbull…he’s a winner,” and called the final steal “ridiculous,” per Chasen.

Hield himself recognized how talented Mason was on the defensive side and said, “I was trying to get him a fifth…so he would quit guarding me so tight,” per Jackson.

bleacherreport.com/articles/2605068-okla...-2016-regular-season

More
8 years 3 months ago #1574 by mtnMan
I logged on to the Board to post about this wonderful article, only to discover it was long ago posted and well discussed. everyone should read it. Also notable that at halftime, Mason insisted to Self that he should be the one to guard Hield in 2nd half.

More
8 years 3 months ago #1577 by Bayhawk
I thought the bogus fouls on Selden was the first domino to fall for the break down of our game plan. "Kill the head and the body will die." --Hunter Thompson

I don't know if OK made those fouls happen, or if it was the incompetence of the "three blind mice" on the floor. Nonetheless, it shows a chink in our otherwise bulletproof armor.

IMHO

RC

The end is nothing; the road is all.
-- Jules Michelet

More
8 years 3 months ago - 8 years 3 months ago #1584 by OreadExpress
Wayne was doing well to limit Hield, but paid for it with the two fouls. One was a shooting foul on Hield that resulted in the two point he allowed Buddy. The other I think was a non-shooting foul away from the basket on Hield.

Really, the team is fortunate to have more than one that can step up and answer the call (not to mention overall very good team defense). It's a difficult task to limit a weapon like Hield who is going to get quality looks regardless of effort and who has the ability to hurt you with even well-defended attempts.
Last Edit: 8 years 3 months ago by OreadExpress.