Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Hudy to Texas!!

• sasnak
  • sasnak's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
4 years 7 months ago #23362 by sasnak
Noooooooooooooooo
Hudy to Texas

It'll feel better when it stops hurting

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
4 years 7 months ago #23363 by HawkErrant
:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

• HawkErrant
More
4 years 7 months ago - 4 years 7 months ago #23365 by HawkErrant
KU Athletics new student-athlete care model adopted: Kansas Team Health

She’s been dealing with this since May 1 (link) and she seems to be at least the second major asset to leave since the change was implemented (Murphy Grant leaving for Wake Forest).

Here’s one opinion I’ve read on the intent of the change:

92ICTHawk wrote: My interpretation of the reorganization of the medical/training staff is this:

It eliminates the conflict of interest where a trainer or doctor reports directly to a coach or KU Athletic when it comes to a player’s health or rehabilitation.

Think what happened to Maryland’s football team and Athletic Department when their football player died at the beginning of fall camp. While every tragedy is different, the smart play is to create a clear bright line between player health & safety and the pressure to win games. If a player at KU suffered a tragic death or injury during training we would be implementing this change after the fact. More Universities will migrate to our model. It’s not going to guarantee a 100% defense against a serious incident but I believe that it will lower the exposure.

Link

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
Last Edit: 4 years 7 months ago by HawkErrant.

More
4 years 7 months ago #23366 by gorillahawk
Andrea Hudy, KU basketball strength coach, heading to Texas

...and...

5-star 2021 prospect reports dual KU football-basketball offer

< 247sports.com/college/kansas/Article/And...-to-Texas-134497458/ >

• konza63
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
4 years 7 months ago #23368 by konza63
Ugh. Huge loss...

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.

More
4 years 7 months ago #23369 by NotOstertag
I saw this pop up on my phone last night and was very bummed out.

Hudy has been a very important part of the program's success and it's really sad to see her go. She won't be easy to replace. In addition to her technical skills, it always seemed to me that she had a very strong rapport with the players that can be difficult to achieve when your job is to push them in the weight room and tell them what they can or can't eat. That said, I wish her all the best and hope she has success at Texas (except when they play KU, of course).

The bigger story, however, seems to be the new arrangement where the strength and conditioning coaches are reporting to medical staff rather than the coaches. Seems the football strength guy also left recently, so it's not just an issue with Hudy.

This raises the very obvious question of whether this new reporting scenario is working out (and I'm not saying that this proves it isn't). I do like the idea of having medical staff having the ability to intervene to protect the players. Nevertheless, it might very well be the case that the amount of intervention, or the type of intervention or involvement in Hudy's everyday life might have become oppressive.

Like any job, sometimes you get a new boss and just don't see eye-to-eye with him/her and you part ways.

Something to pay attention to as time goes on. In the meantime, we'll miss you Hudy.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, jayhawk969

More
4 years 7 months ago #23370 by AZhawk87
unfortunately, I think it's also about eliminating the Mich St. (Nasser) and other scenarios popping up now of abuse by team doctors who were insulated from oversight and who reported to a school administration instead of a medical program/system.

Schools will be offloading medical and training staff to third party providers who have more oversight and prevention protocols, and frankly are offloading liability if abuse situations occur again.

Hudy was great, but there are hundreds of strength coaches out there who are excellent, and I suspect KU will be just fine.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jayhawk969

• HawkErrant
More
4 years 7 months ago - 4 years 7 months ago #23371 by HawkErrant

AZhawk87 wrote: unfortunately, I think it's also about eliminating the Mich St. (Nasser) and other scenarios popping up now of abuse by team doctors who were insulated from oversight and who reported to a school administration instead of a medical program/system.

Schools will be offloading medical and training staff to third party providers who have more oversight and prevention protocols, and frankly are offloading liability if abuse situations occur again.

Hudy was great, but there are hundreds of strength coaches out there who are excellent, and I suspect KU will be just fine.

You are right that KU hoops will most likely get a solid replacement, but when you have one of the acknowledged best in that field of expertise working for you, one who has over the years demonstrated a tremendous rapport with her charges and who is always looking to improve to stay at the forefront of that field, you have nowhere to go but down when you lose that person.

I’m a retired military healthcare executive, with an extensive background in military medical organizational design to augment my primary field of healthcare finance, and some fairly extensive work in organizational behavior. This redesign, what little I know of it, looks to be a good thing, and probably a good model for the future to ensure student-athletes are kept healthy and safe, but I have significant doubts about having the strength and conditioning staff reporting to doctors instead of the people they are actually working for, i.e., the coach. It’s a multimillion dollar business that the coaches are charged to keep highly successful, and yet full control of one of the key components of their “toolboxes” has been taken away from them. In effect the S&C folks now have two bosses to report to, the one they actually work with to achieve their S&C mission and the one to whom they have to report.

Trying to look at it from Andrea’s perspective (and I would think KUFB’s Murphy Grant’s, who left for Wake Forest a few weeks ago) — she’s worked for and enjoyed working with the same guy for 15 years and now you’ve changed her entire work environment by changing who she works for without her consent. And we can practically guarantee that the new boss will not be the same as the old boss.

I would not be surprised if in the not too distant future the strength & conditioning staff are reorganized back to reporting to the people they will still actually work for instead of someone who amounts to an oversight functionary. And in the end all this piece of the reorganization will have accomplished is to cost KU an outstanding personnel asset, arguably the best in her field.

Last Edit: 4 years 7 months ago by HawkErrant.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jayhawk969, murphyslaw, newtonhawk

More
4 years 7 months ago #23372 by bklynhawk
It does seem to indicate some kind of lack of comfort/unhappiness with the new system in place. Maybe KU is a little too out ahead of the curve with this move.

Hudy was touted by the program as a major asset that prepared them to be elite at the college level and prepare for the next level if that's where they were aiming. I think we'll recover and move forward, but may not have a trainer as prominent and respected to use as a recruiting lure.

She's been great and I wish her luck in the future. Just wish it was with a non-Big 12 program.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, sasnak

More
4 years 7 months ago #23374 by gorillahawk
Andrea Hudy, Bill Self, Jeff Long comment on Hudy's departure

< 247sports.com/college/kansas/Article/And...cFKXp5ZXfBrqPhpvF3Ys >
The following user(s) said Thank You: jayhawk969

More
4 years 7 months ago #23376 by hairyhawk
I think the organizational change is leading to these decisions as HE suggested. Maybe I am reading too much into this but in coach Hudy's statement ......
"There are not words to adequately describe my gratitude to Bill Self," Hudy continued. "He empowered me to be a leader and supported me every step of the way. His unwavering faith in me allowed me to truly make an impact with our players, and that is the work I am proudest of. Working in college athletics is unique because of the opportunity to make a difference in student-athletes’ lives. At Kansas I was able to do just that, and I will cherish those relationships for the rest of my life."

She points to HCBS giving her free reign to be in charge of strength and conditioning and have complete control. The new organization would lessen that.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bayhawk

More
4 years 7 months ago #23377 by murphyslaw
I'm with you all the way, Sir Hawk! Before getting the details of her leaving, I was immediately angry, thinking KU didn't do whatever, and I do mean whatever, was necessary to keep her. Now I am incensed about the changes, regardless of whether this caused her to leave. The reason for the changes may be valid, but with Hudy we had a wonderful system which was NOT broken. Recovering from this painful loss won't be short or easy.

Any other thoughts/comments I have are unsuitable for this board or anywhere else.

More
4 years 7 months ago #23378 by AZhawk87
the more I read, the more I think she just wanted to try something different. She was at Uconn for a decade, and then left. She's had a great run at KU, but seems to want a new challenge. the new structure likely helped her decision to leave, but doesn't appear to me to be the only factor.

Bill said Hudy called him Wednesday and said she had another opportunity. If she wanted to stay, she and Bill would have been talking long before Wednesday to find a solution.

If Bill wanted her badly enough, he has the power to make that happen. He didn't.

She did a wonderful job, and I wish her the absolute best. Thanks for all she did for KU and the players, who seem to love her.

On to the next phase, which will be just fine.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bayhawk, newtonhawk

More
4 years 7 months ago - 4 years 7 months ago #23379 by gorillahawk
Hudy 's KU Workouts Recalled as Legendary...

if you can access it....

< www.kansascity.com/sports/college/big-12...rticle234092387.html >
Last Edit: 4 years 7 months ago by gorillahawk.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, wardhawk