Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Two KUSports Videos: HCBS and Big Dave

• HawkErrant
  • HawkErrant's Avatar Topic Author
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
4 years 9 months ago #23108 by HawkErrant

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bayhawk, boulderhawk, murphyslaw, Wheatstate Gal

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

• HawkErrant
More
4 years 9 months ago #23109 by HawkErrant
On the Self comments @3:20 he notes that KU doesn't have a Wiggins, an Oubre, a McLemore or a Jackson on the roster, but these guys are unbelievable basketball players.

Immediately after at 3:30 he answers a question about a player, calling him our most improved player, improved athletically (noted that was so hard to do) and right now probably our best outside shooter.

Can anyone make out who he is talking about? One of the returning guys, obviously, but I cannot pick up the name of the player being asked about, and Self doesn't mention it.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

• HawkErrant
More
4 years 9 months ago - 4 years 9 months ago #23110 by HawkErrant
The text under the McCormack video reports that last week Self called McCormack the most improved player so far. So we could think he was still talking about Big Dave in today's video, but if so is Big Dave now out best outside shooter?

I don't think Dave is who Bill was referring to, but I still can't tell.

Last Edit: 4 years 9 months ago by HawkErrant.

• konza63
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
4 years 9 months ago #23113 by konza63
Yeah, very hard to make out, but I clearly heard “David” or “Dave” so Self is talking about Big Dave. Goes on to say he’s the best Big shooter on the team. But he also caveated it with “I don’t know if that will translate day to day.” (Meaning: let’s see it in games before getting too excited)

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant

• HawkErrant
More
4 years 9 months ago #23115 by HawkErrant
Yeah, Self did say best big outside shooter, not best outside shooter overall. Thanks!

Still...

If that DOES translate to game conditions, Silvio is going to have major competition. We could see the 4-5 being manned by Dok at 5 and Silvio or Dave at the 4, and then Dave and Silvio together when Dok is resting. And if Dave's improved shooting touch translates to the FT line as well, I can see Dok not getting much PT in the last 5 minutes of games.

Man, I am hoping for a healthy season next time around!

The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63

• konza63
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
4 years 9 months ago #23116 by konza63
He also talked right after about Jaylen being a stretch 4 when they want to go smaller there but with a mismatch edge.

And yes, for so many seasons over the past decade or so we’ve gotten excited at our stable of horses, only to see injury and/or offcourt nonsense torpedo it. Let’s all put our best rock chalk karma in motion to stave off the demons of despair this year! :-)

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.

• Wheatstate Gal
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
4 years 9 months ago #23118 by Wheatstate Gal
I want to be David’s mother! I LOVE that kid. He’s so articulate and can speak with the press like a mature person. I love his work ethic and what I presume is his career vision......work hard, make improvements, let himself be coached, bide his time and soak it all in......his time to shine is coming.

Rock Chalk!