Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

RCJHGKU- Gary Woodland- US Open Champion

• LKF_HAWK
  • LKF_HAWK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
4 years 9 months ago #23093 by LKF_HAWK
Congratulations to Gary Woodland on winning the US Open.. RCJHGKU, May this portend many great championships for the Jayhawks in 2019-2020.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
4 years 9 months ago #23094 by hoshi
His mother was wearing a KU jacket.
Rock Chalk

“The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits”. Albert Einstein
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63, Wheatstate Gal

More
4 years 9 months ago #23095 by wchawk
I was hoping that when he was putting on 18 (three putts to win), that the crowd would have started the Rock Chalk chant! That would have been awesome! Win the US Open at Pebble Beach and have the Rock Chalk chant. Now that would have been a great Father's Day! Still, it's a great achievement! Way to go Gary!
The following user(s) said Thank You: newtonhawk

• LKF_HAWK
  • LKF_HAWK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
4 years 9 months ago #23096 by LKF_HAWK
There was a smattering if folks that serenaded him with the Rock Chalk chant after he birdied 18.. coolest was all the other players who waited around to congratulate him.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bayhawk, Wheatstate Gal, newtonhawk

More
4 years 9 months ago #23097 by AZhawk87
How awesome to hear "Rock Chalk" so many times from fans today. Is there another school anywhere that is as outwardly enthusiastic as KU?

You just don't hear "hook em horns" or "go devils" (AZ St. call sign with several ASU pro golfers), or any other college being called out like KU fans throw out RCJH.

Love it !
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wheatstate Gal, newtonhawk

More
4 years 9 months ago #23098 by NotOstertag
So great to watch and so happy for Gary.

Note that the high amatuer was a kid from Okie State's golf team. So you can either take that as KU beating OSU at golf, or (more charitably) a good showing for the Big 12 at Pebble Beach.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot

• konza63
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
4 years 9 months ago #23100 by konza63
I was beyond stoked to watch it unfold. It came on my radar by Saturday, via LJW. And I watched the entire closing round yesterday. I was worried for him there for awhile - it's so hard to maintain a lead, right? - but he did it! My kids have a video of me jumping for joy in the living room (I interrupted their jam session, lol).

PS: Tait has run some really good articles in the LJW/KUsports.com on it. Check them out.

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.

• konza63
More
4 years 9 months ago #23101 by konza63
Hoshi: We noticed that too - the Jayhawk on her jacket. I almost busted up watching the tears come to her eyes. You KNOW this has been a long, hard climb. 35 years old...think about all the slogging that came before this over the years.

PS: A cool $2.2 million payoff. Not bad for a weekend's work outside in California. :-)

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.

• konza63
More
4 years 9 months ago #23102 by konza63
AZhawk87, I couldn't agree more. My beloved Pop (rest his soul) was a Marine who fought in Korea. Marines are a tight bunch, and there's that saying "Once a Marine, always a Marine." They also always give the "Semper Fi" when they find out they're fellow alums. I have always likened attending KU and being an alum of KU (and the great town of Lawrence) to being like the Marines. The instant identification and identity marker is like few others. I think it speaks so highly of the full KU and Lawrence experience - it changes you, it penetrates you, and it never leaves you, no matter where life takes you in its aftermath.

The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, Wheatstate Gal

More
4 years 9 months ago #23104 by Bayhawk
WORD! :cheer:

Hence my RCFL sign off:
Rock Chalk For Life!

The end is nothing; the road is all.
-- Jules Michelet
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63, Wheatstate Gal

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
4 years 9 months ago #23107 by HawkErrant
Amy tells Gary "You got this!"

Bloody awesome story.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63