Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Gonzaga like team

• hoshi
  • hoshi's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
4 years 9 months ago - 4 years 9 months ago #23073 by hoshi
Many here and on other boards having been trying to compare the upcoming 2019/2020 KU team to past KU teams and,I think, coming up short. I generally like to follow Gonzaga as I have liked the way they play and they are always deep with size.
As I look at the make up of our team for next season, they remind me a lot of past Gonzaga teams with one exception, we have a premier, lightning fast point guard.
Multiple bigs to fill two spots, check
Underrated (not 5*) small forwards, some with size, check
Multiple guards, check
Thoughts?

“The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits”. Albert Einstein
Last Edit: 4 years 9 months ago by hoshi.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, gorillahawk, murphyslaw

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
4 years 9 months ago #23075 by CorpusJayhawk
Josh I,I totally agree. This team is like a Swiss Army knife. There are a lot of moving parts and a lot of combinations that we can put in the floor. We can match up with probably any team in America given the interchangeability of this team. Backcourt, frontcourt, speed, size, height, strength, quickness and aggressiveness. We can pick and choose our weapons. Pretty exciting prospect when you have a master like Self pulling the strings. This should be a fun year.

Don't worry about the mules, just load the wagon!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63, HawkErrant, gorillahawk, murphyslaw

More
4 years 9 months ago #23076 by murphyslaw
I do like the obvious talent and versatility of this team, but what I truly hope for is the return of my excitement for KU basketball.
I miss being absolutely thrilled when we win, and even devastated for days when we lose. Let this be the year that Murphy wakes up with anticipation on the morning of every game, whether exhibition or March Madness, just like she used to!
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63, HawkErrant, gorillahawk

More
4 years 9 months ago #23077 by AZhawk87
I'm with you Murph. My interest remains strong, cuz KU is in my blood, but my excitement for KU hoops sure waned over the past five years. So many issues with eligibility, recruiting wins and losses for these prima donas, underperformance of so called lottery OADs, and to me a noticeable change in Self's demeanor - not for the better.

I really hope this new roster is full of multi-year players that we can get to know, and see mature and develop. I also have excitement on exacting revenge on the B12 and recapturing the title - much more so than the stress of not wanting the streak to end. New blood, new life, old baggage gone, and a reason to destroy KSt and Ttech.

Onward Jayhawks !
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63, HawkErrant, Bayhawk, murphyslaw

More
4 years 9 months ago #23078 by sasnak
Last year was a tough, tough year. I felt disloyal because I just wasn't as excited as normal. I didn't feel a relationship with that team like I have with others, at least not until the end. Mitch is Mr Jayhawk as far as I am concerned. I am soooo excited about Silvio because he has shown nothing but class and grace throughout that entire mess. If Dok can stay healthy ( and PLEASE make your free throws- lol) and the frosh have matured a bit, this team could be a LOT of fun this year. I seriously can't wait to see how Devon has improved because he was pretty darned good anyway.

That said, and I am not a doom and gloomer but....NCAA's little announcement this past week makes me a bit edgy.

It'll feel better when it stops hurting
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, Bayhawk, murphyslaw

More
4 years 9 months ago #23079 by AZhawk87
Sasnak, I'm banking on the idea that the NCAA will name the schools where coaches clearly did some wrong (LSU, AZ, etc.), and contain the ugliness to where they can factually pin wrongdoing on someone, especially where college hoops can't really get hurt. Leave the bluebloods out of it or the whole system could get crushed.

Going after KU, when all they really have that hasn't been dealt with already (Preston and Silvio) is the uncorroborated statement about KU and Zion. That directly brings Duke into the picture, and that won't happen.

Note how little, if any, discussion there was about UNC, KY and Duke in the Nike trial. This whole thing is going to be buried except for the obvious cases.

KU won't go down without a fight, and will drag the other bluebloods into it. NCAA can't have that, so I'm guessing we're clear.
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63, HawkErrant, sasnak, boulderhawk, murphyslaw, newtonhawk

More
4 years 9 months ago #23081 by murphyslaw
"Mr. Jayhawk." Absolutely, Sasnak. I always hoped he would be a starter so the team could be inspired by his spark. Alas, he usually was put in after we were behind. The good thing about Mitch was that he played his hardest no matter when he got to play. Mr. Jayhawk, indeed!
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, wardhawk