Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Uh oh

• denster
  • denster's Avatar Topic Author
More
4 years 10 months ago #23057 by denster

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
4 years 10 months ago - 4 years 10 months ago #23058 by HawkErrant
High profile teams besides KU that are in a lot worse shape IMO...

Louisville
Arizona
LSU
USC

Duke by inference re: Zion (but ain’t ever gonna happen)

Other not so “high profile” schools
OK St
Texas A&M ( real “shoe” money )

There is at least one more that I can’t recall right now.

Re: KU

Preston: clear KU was unaware and efforts were made to keep KU unaware. Once issues came to light, KU did all the right things.

De Sousa: KU worked with NCAA to initially clear him, he only played after being cleared. When other issues unrelated to the first situation came to light, KU sat him and more than fully cooperated with NCAA, only to have Silvio get burned, leading to Appeals Committee reducing the punishment he received for things he never did, and knew nothing about.

Townsend talking to Merle Code about Williamson: they discussed what Zion/Zion’s people were apparently asking for. This is copied from a post on JayhawkSlant —

"tecjayhawk” wrote: The following is the exchange between Mr. Code and Townsend:

The phone call concerns the family of Zion Williamson. Moore told Kaplan “In this call between Mr. Code and Mr. Townsend, Mr. Townsend says ... ‘Hey, but between me and you, you know, he asked about some stuff. You know? And I said, well, we’ll talk about that you decide.’ “And then Mr. Code says: ‘I know what he’s asking for.’ ... ‘He’s asking for opportunities from an occupational prospective. He’s asking for money in the pocket. And he’s asking for housing for him and the family.’ “And they go on to talk. And Mr. Townsend says: ‘so, I’ve got to just try to work and figure out a way. Because if that’s what it takes to get him for 10 months, we’re going to have to do it some way.’”

“Mr. Gassnola testified that he did not believe that Townsend knew anything about payment to players or coach (Bill) Self knew anything about payment to players,” Moore said, “and that wasn’t part of his understanding when he made payments to players in Kansas.

Question: Who is guilty of a crime in this conversation? Coach Townsend or the Williamson family member requesting impermissible benefit in order to secure a scholarship from the University of Kansas. As a result, no one representing Kansas Basketball executed a payment or provided impermissible benefits. There wasn't a contract between the parties. Should not the NCAA suspect or investigate the school that secured the services of Williamson want to know if Duke paid the ransom for Williamson's services. Also, Townsend did not have any contact directly with the players family. Since Williamson never played or committed to Kansas I don't find any violation of NCAA rules.

Plus, this was not part of the FBI data placed into evidence in the trial, it was leaked to the media by the defense, so there are questions if the NCAA can even use it. I’m sure they can ask Townsend about it, but really — what offense did he commit? There is no evidence — at least none that we know of at this point — that any such offers were made by KU to Zion or his reps. The guy ended up at Duke. Hello?
NCAA, you really going to open that can of worms? (See beginning of this post.)

I do not see KU losing any games or titles (and the related BIG $) due to Silvio playing. He played when he was cleared to, and sat once his status was questionable.

Same for Preston, except of course that he never played a game.

Townsend I think should be okay, but I just don’t know. The facts as we know them are that all he did was talk, there is no evidence of anything else. At worst I could see KU agreeing to fire Townsend in order to avoid any penalties. At worst.

Bottom line for me is there are other schools in this mess that fit into the description used in the article. The world is not just KU.

And never forget that the court did rule KU a victim in the FBI trial.

Just have to wait and see.

I remain “as corny as Kansas in August” and a “cockeyed optimist”.

Rock Chalk!

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
Last Edit: 4 years 10 months ago by HawkErrant.
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63, KMT

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
4 years 10 months ago #23059 by HawkErrant

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

More
4 years 10 months ago #23060 by NotOstertag
I would play this EXACTLY the same way that UNC played the cheating scandal accusation. Remember, UNC got away with what was widely spoken of as the biggest cheating scandal in the history of college athletics. And they skated.

What did they do? Slow played it to DEATH. The old "4 corners" offense. Keep appealing, wait until the absolute deadline to provide information and then provide incomplete information and then ask for another extension. Worked for Carolina, no reason it shouldn't work for us.

As for our guilt or innocence. Preston never played. DeSousa case was adjudicated. Townsend's wiretap can be interpreted in any number of ways, and simply saying "gotta figure it out" is a far cry from taking illegal actions.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63, HawkErrant, KMT, DrJHawker