Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Who will emerge?

• CorpusJayhawk
  • CorpusJayhawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
4 years 10 months ago #23008 by CorpusJayhawk
We have an interesting mix of players this coming season. We have a couple seniors who should be known commodities in Udoka and Mitch.

Mitch has been on a nice trajectory and I suspect he will have a satisfying senior season. But unless something approaching miraculous happens, Mitch is not a day to day top tier player. He has the heart of a lion and the will to match but he simply lacks the raw ability and size to dominate at his position. Having said that, I fully expect some highlight moments for Mitch and hope to see him go out as a champion and a loved Jayhawk.

Udoka has shown he can be a force to reckon with if he can stay healthy and that is a big if. But few players have his size and strength and with Big Dave to spell him, he will likely see some tired defenses late in games. I hope he works his but off to get back in shape and sharpen up his weak areas. But all in all he is a known commodity that I do not see deviating too far from his established lane. Of course, his established lane is 1st team Big 12 level and even possibly AA level. His FT shooting and lack of any face up game are still slight concerns. I look for him to be a dominant part of this team and have a high level year but nothing that is far outside what most will expect.

Devon is an interesting candidate for a breakout year. He clearly has something to prove. He has some natural tools that are off the charts. His first step and even 2nd step on both offense and defense are outstanding. He will no doubt shoot about 500 shots a day this summer and work on his range. He will also work on his team leading. He had, IMHO, the best season of any freshman PG under Self. That is not insignificant. I think if he has a normal frost to soph improvement he will be a dynamic part of this team. He has a chance to really turn heads, though. I am not predicting that but I am sure hoping. He is a top 3 on my list to surprise to the upside. I have him as No. 3.

Silvio is another candidate to surprise to the upside. He has not competed for a year but he has been Hudyized for a year. He clearly has more to prove than anyone and has a chip the size of Angola on his shoulder. With the depth we already have and potentially even more if Wilson comes, Self will have freedom to let De Sousa be more aggressive. I could see a team leader in blocks and rebounds and possibly even floor burns. He is a top three on my list to surprise to the upside. I would rate him No. 2.

Marcus has been just a jump shot away from bursting onto the scene as a dominant Div 1 player. If he miraculously developed a top quintile jump shot, he would be All Big 12 and probably AA potential. He would be lethal with his awesome team awareness and defense. He has the actual situation to be the biggest upside surprise. Unfortunately, after two years, I am not optimistic that he will become a jump shooter. I love the kid and he brings a lot to the team situationally but is probably realistically a solid bench player.

Ochai burst onto the scene last season and then proceeded to fade quickly. Will the real Ochai please suit up. Is the real Ochai the 20 point per game 40%+ 3FG shooter who confounded defense that we saw early or the sub 35% 3FG shooter and lost on defense player we saw most of the rest of the season? I suspect it is some combination. No doubt he will be working hard on his shooting this if season. He is a great athlete and good quickness. But I think the reality is, he is a spot starter and relatable bench player. Although I would rate him as No. 4 to surprise to the upside. I hope he has a monster year.

Big Dave showed steady, and I sincerely mean steady improvement last season. He will be going at it with Udoka, Mitch and Silvio all summer and will have a year of experience to know how to improve in the off-season. I think he has a good opportunity to really break out this season. But there are two big hurdles. They are named Udoka Azubuike and Silvio De Sousa. Big Dave would likely start on just about every other team in the Big 12 and all but about 5-10 teams in the country. I am projecting he has a solid year of steady improvement before he has a monster junior year. But I would rate him as the No. 5 prospect to sunrise to the upside.

That brings us down to the thee freshmen and the possibility of Jalen Wilson. Obviously I have not named my player most likely to suprise to the upside. Let’s jump right to that.

Tristan Enaruna is a below the radar player. He has been growing about 5 inches per year and is a unique player in that he has height, athleticism and guard skills. He is just raw. But his trajectory seems to be accelerating. He seems to be one of those players that is coming into his own at a little later age. Can anyone say Joel Embiid? I do not think he will be the star on this team nor do I think he will remind a lot of Joel Embiid. What I do think is that he has the potential to be the biggest upside surprise on this team. He may be that 6’10” (possibly 6”9”) player that looks, feels, acts and plays like a legit shooting guard or wing. If he shows that he can defend another wing he could be a soldi starter. With the lane being well protected this season with Udoka and Silvio and even when Mitch (great rim protector) and Big Dave come in, the rim is not going to be a friendly place for opponents this season. That means defending a wing takes on a different challenge, potentially helping Enaruna immensely. Also, Enaruna has the size to guard a 4 if KU decides to play a little smaller (which we will). Enaruna, on this mix of players has the potential to be a huge upside surprise which with the talent this team has, could still mean he is the 3rd or 4th best player on the team.

I am not ready to make any projections on Mackey or Christian. If Jalen comes, I would guess one will likely redshirt. That is unless one of them comes in and shows the ability to defend and shoot bullseyes from the arc.

Don't worry about the mules, just load the wagon!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, hairyhawk, Bayhawk, boulderhawk, porthawk, murphyslaw, DrJHawker, newtonhawk, jaythawk1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.