Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Hampton knew his decision a month ago - SI

• HawkErrant
  • HawkErrant's Avatar Topic Author
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
4 years 9 months ago #22949 by HawkErrant
www.si.com/college-basketball/2019/05/30...aland-month-contract

Dang. That’s pure and simple BS.
(Self edited to meet RCB anti-profanity standards.)

Frankly, I don’t care how talented he is, jerking people around like that is just plain wrong and demonstrates a very bad attitude IMO. Don’t need players who think like that on our team — or their parents who think such behavior is ok hanging around the program.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
The following user(s) said Thank You: wardhawk, murphyslaw

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
4 years 9 months ago #22951 by Kong
i just saw this and was about to post it. When I first heard his decision, I thought it was a good thing. I thought what a good deal. A kid that doesn't want to be bothered with classes and get to the NBA goes overseas leaving all the programs able to move forward without the drama of a one and done.

Now it turns out that the selfish kid was stringing teams along. What a piece of garbage.

just my $.02

Visualize Whirled Peas
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, Bayhawk, murphyslaw

More
4 years 9 months ago #22952 by Senex68
To gain some insight into Hampton, look to his father.

"When you have a ruling class that doesn’t believe in — or even much like — the fundamental values of the nations it rules, things tend to work out poorly.”

Glenn Reynolds

More
4 years 9 months ago #22953 by NotOstertag
Good riddance. Not cool at all.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot

More
4 years 9 months ago - 4 years 9 months ago #22954 by AZhawk87
He's the best example of what I think most of these OAD's mentality is, and how the amateur system works.

It's all about the NBA, and college is just the mandatory speed bump on that path. The shoe contracts, money under the table, etc. starts at a young age, and is part of the bigger plan of getting paid to play ball. If the system makes them go to college, they're not foregoing the real system of BB, which pays them and gets them ready for pros as quickly as possible.

Why would we ever think a guy like RJ and his dad would place the value of a year in college, playing for "free", having to go to class and having the NCAA watchdogs hanging over your every move, above the semi-pro system he's been in for years. He used it all, including the colleges and coaches, as a hype machine for his own benefit. And he played it very well.

That's a real peak behind the curtain, and it explains a lot about what we're hearing from the Adidas and Nike trials.
Last Edit: 4 years 9 months ago by AZhawk87.
The following user(s) said Thank You: murphyslaw

• HawkErrant
More
4 years 9 months ago #22955 by HawkErrant
You have missed the point.

I have no complaints or issues with him choosing to play professionally overseas for a year. That’s not the issue.

He and his family need to be group sued by KU, TT and Memphis for the money spent on recruiting him after he had already signed his contract, and for the value, however determined, of the opportunity costs to those programs (time, energy, recruits passed on in anticipation of getting him, etc.).

They are grifters, and the last I checked grifters get prosecuted when they are caught.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
The following user(s) said Thank You: wardhawk, murphyslaw

More
4 years 9 months ago #22960 by NotOstertag
I'd love to see that HE, but I'm not holding my breath.

Ok, I must be in a particularly forgiving mood because I see ONE[/b] reasonable excuse that might make this ok:

None of us have read his contract, and it IS possible that the pro contract had some kind of "out clause" and that he hadn't committed 100% to the NZ team (i.e. his contract was for rights to him this season IF he went pro, or something similar).

So I'm 99% in agreement that he's a grifter and should be labeled as such. Nevertheless I'm 1% open to the idea that there's more to the story.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot

• HawkErrant
More
4 years 9 months ago #22961 by HawkErrant

NotOstertag wrote: I'd love to see that HE, but I'm not holding my breath.
HE: Me neither!

None of us have read his contract, and it IS possible that the pro contract had some kind of "out clause" and that he hadn't committed 100% to the NZ team (i.e. his contract was for rights to him this season IF he went pro, or something similar).

HE: I’m 99% sure that as far as the NCAA is concerned once he signed that contract he was no longer eligible to play college ball.

I could be wrong now...
But I don’t think so!

- “It’s a Jungle Out There”, Randy Newman

• HawkErrant
More
4 years 9 months ago #22962 by HawkErrant

NotOstertag wrote: I'd love to see that HE, but I'm not holding my breath.
HE: Me neither!

HE: I’m 99% sure that as far as the NCAA is concerned once he signed that contract he was no longer eligible to play college ball.

I could be wrong now...
But I don’t think so!

- “It’s a Jungle Out There”, Randy Newman