Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

He's Back!!!!

• porthawk
  • porthawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
4 years 10 months ago #22914 by porthawk
The following user(s) said Thank You: murphyslaw, replayloungehawk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

• replayloungehawk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
4 years 10 months ago #22915 by replayloungehawk
Looks like Grimes might be coming back as well.

www2.kusports.com/news/2019/may/29/hes-b...on-dotson-announces/

Rock Chalk!

• replayloungehawk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
4 years 10 months ago #22916 by replayloungehawk
How funny...we were typing the same message at pretty much the exact same time...great minds!

• porthawk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
4 years 10 months ago - 4 years 10 months ago #22917 by porthawk
Yup, replay, saw that little snippet about Grimes:

The news came just minutes after a report from 247 Sports’ Evan Daniels that indicated that fellow-KU freshman Quentin Grimes had also withdrawn his name from the draft pool.

Last Edit: 4 years 10 months ago by porthawk.

More
4 years 10 months ago #22918 by sasnak
Grimes may be transferring per multiple sources but am still reading

It'll feel better when it stops hurting

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
4 years 10 months ago #22921 by HawkErrant
I combined the threads. , and yes, Self says Grimes is transferring. Really did not think that would be the way he'd go, incurring another two years in college, 1 sitting, before trying the draft again.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

More
4 years 10 months ago #22922 by CorpusJayhawk
Not sure what to think about Grimes transferring. My more rationale side says it is always good to have more able bodies. But he had one of the most disappointing seasons of any player I can remember. His player rating (as per my proprietary rating system) was not even worthy of a top bench player. I think from my POV I would rather take a chance on McBride or Braun getting the minutes in hopes of development. With Dotson returning and De Sousa and Azubuike back, we are a legit top 25 team. We are questionable as a top 10 team though and we will have our hands full winning the Big 12. But at least we will be in the running with Dotson.

Don't worry about the mules, just load the wagon!!

• porthawk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
4 years 10 months ago #22925 by porthawk
Indeed, replay, indeed!

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
4 years 10 months ago #22927 by HawkErrant

I'm a bit more optimistic than you, Corpus!

Without DD, barring a huge coming of age from Issac McBride or some other surprise (like Kyree Walker reclassifying and coming to KU later this summer) this KU team would not be on anyone's radar as a Big XII title contender and on no ones' radar for another FF.

IMO with DD, SDS and Dok, aided by whoever steps up for the 2 and 3 spots, this team has to be considered the next Big XII champ and a top 5/Final Four team at the start of the season.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

More
4 years 10 months ago #22929 by NotOstertag
The combination of the Dotson and DeSousa news is really the big story of this year's roster. I kind of felt neutral about Grimes coming back: on one hand I still believe HCBS when he talks about Grimes' potential (HCBS knows a LOT more than we do about evaluating talent). On the other hand, his failure to "get it" this year doesn't give me a lot of confidence that he'd be any better this year (I spent 4 years believing that Eric Chenowith was just about to turn the corner...lesson learned).

Nevertheless the fact that Dotson went into the draft as "testing the waters" and ended as a guy getting serious consideration simply confirms what I think a lot of us saw last year. I'm not sure how much better he can get, but I'm more than happy that we're going to get to find out together.

Nevertheless, I think that while the Dotson news or DeSousa news are both independently great things, the combination of those together exceeds the sum of the parts.

Now we just need to figure out if somebody on this roster can get a consistent 3 point shot falling.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, Bayhawk, murphyslaw, DrJHawker, newtonhawk, jaythawk1