Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Silvo De Sousa eligible to play in 2019-2020

• DrJHawker
  • DrJHawker's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
4 years 11 months ago - 4 years 11 months ago #22873 by DrJHawker
Last Edit: 4 years 11 months ago by DrJHawker.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, sasnak, Bayhawk, wchawk, porthawk, OreadExpress, murphyslaw, newtonhawk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
4 years 11 months ago #22874 by newtonhawk
Woohooo! Happy Days are here again!!!:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
4 years 11 months ago #22875 by HawkErrant
A GREAT start to the Memorial Day weekend!

ROCK CHALK!

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

More
4 years 11 months ago #22876 by OreadExpress
The wind just picked up in the Lawrence area from the collective exhale of the fanbase.

To which I’ll add mine. Whew...
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63

More
4 years 11 months ago #22877 by bklynhawk
The following user(s) said Thank You: newtonhawk

More
4 years 11 months ago #22878 by sasnak
Finally!!

It'll feel better when it stops hurting

• HawkErrant
More
4 years 11 months ago #22879 by HawkErrant
I'll bet it stopped hurting, even if just for a little while, with today's news, sasnak!

Bill Self:"I am extremely happy for Silvio, and very appreciative of Jeff Long and our athletic department personnel who have worked so hard on this. Our chancellor, school attorneys, Scott Tompsett (De Sousa's attorney) and David Reed (Senior Associate Athletics Director, Compliance and Student Services) have spent so many hours on this matter. Silvio has been unbelievably upbeat and patient throughout this process – far more than I could be if I were in his shoes. And he has been a tremendously positive influence on me, our team and everyone he has touched since getting the initial ruling. Silvio is the type of student-athlete that college athletics needs. He wants to be a student and contribute to representing this university on the court. This moment belongs to Silvio and I am proud to be his coach. I know he'll be more motivated than ever, which will be very exciting for all Jayhawk fans to watch next season."

kuathletics.com/news/2019/5/24/mens-bask...-2019-20-season.aspx

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63, sasnak, Bayhawk, newtonhawk

More
4 years 11 months ago #22882 by CorpusJayhawk
IF EVER a student-athlete deserved to have a monster breakout year it is Silvio De Sousa. I, for one, will be rooting for this young man to have a monster season.

I am cautiously optimistic about next year’s team. We now have a 5* top-tier center. I would hope we have a 5* top-tier power forward. If Devon returns we will have a 5* top-tier PG. If RJ signs we will have a 5* top-tier SG. That leaves only the wing. We could have incredible optionality there with Garrett, Agbaji, Enaruna and possibly Wilson and Grimes. We will also have a monster bench with the names I just mentioned plus Big Dave and Mitch. And of course we have Coach Self. KU’s season is hanging in the lurch with next week being the pivotal week. How exciting.

Don't worry about the mules, just load the wagon!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63, murphyslaw

More
4 years 11 months ago #22883 by AZhawk87
I missed BIG TIME on two predictions last year:

1. Zion wouldn't live up to the hype. WRONG

2. KU would be big, tough, physical and mean. WRONG

I saw Dok, Mac and Silvio underneath with 15 fouls to give. I thought Grimes would be physical with that big guard body. And I thought Lightfoot and Garrett would sub in for pure energy and physicality (Lightfoot delivered!)

I now am reviving prediction #2, based on Silvio having a huge grudge to motivate him. Mac reigning in his motor and playing better and even more physical. And Dok just being big and a load. Litghtfoot will be nasty, as will Dotson. Whoever else shows up better bring a nasty attitude or they'll be left behind.

Rock Chalk !!
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63, Bayhawk

• DrJHawker
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
4 years 11 months ago #22884 by DrJHawker

• DrJHawker
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
4 years 11 months ago #22885 by DrJHawker
"I'm so excited to be able to come back to Kansas to play and to continue my education. It's an amazing feeling. I want to thank the NCAA committee for the opportunity to do what I really want to do. All those days and nights wondering what would happen...this makes it all worth it. I also want to thank everyone at Kansas for working so hard to make sure I can follow my dream. Jayhawk Nation, I can't thank you all enough for the unconditional support and for sticking around throughout this. I tried to turn the year off into a blessing. I got to work on my game and my academics, and now I'm going to make the most of this opportunity."

• HawkErrant
More
4 years 11 months ago #22886 by HawkErrant

DrJHawker wrote: www.kansascity.com/sports/college/big-12...rticle230803669.html

Thoughts?

My first thought is that Newell is being the guy at the party who has opted to be the designated driver — somebody got to keep a sober head.

My second thought is that he raises good points, but I temper them with the realization that he probably hasn’t seen much of Silvio in practice this year to be able to assess how good his outside shooting is, or how well he might defensively match up against opponents’ smaller, quick 4s.

All I can call on is the discussions among the team and the staff that have leaked about this past season Silvio being our best player in practice (note: not “best practice player”, which has a totally different meaning). He has always been a solid FT shooter and has always had a good outside shot. I don’t know if he’s developed a trey shot or not, but I think he’ll do fine away from the basket next year. And his defense improved tremendously in his first few months on campus, so I see no reason to assume that trend did not continue this past year just because he didn’t get game experience to show the world his talents.

Remember last year when Dok and Lawson played, DL wasn’t shooting many treys (that came later) and KU was undefeated. Although I’d give some scoring advantage to DL, I’d put Silvio’s real D up against DL’s matador D 8 days a week.

I think we are all going to be quite pleased with the return of Silvio De Sousa to KU hoops.

The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63, DrJHawker

More
4 years 11 months ago #22887 by sasnak
I have been grinning all afternoon and had to come home and explain it all to my husband- lol

It'll feel better when it stops hurting

More
4 years 11 months ago #22889 by NotOstertag
Truly spectacular news. I can imagine how relieved he must be.

Hoping this translates into a mentality where he wants to show the NCAA and the world what they've been missing.

Congrats and welcome back Silvio.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot

More
4 years 11 months ago #22891 by Illhawk
And I am glad I was.

Maybe we now come out of our winter of discontent?
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63, newtonhawk

• konza63
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
4 years 11 months ago #22894 by konza63
Incredibly positive news. We are beyond loaded inside. Hope one of them can stretch the D outward a bit as well. We could almost play a 2-big rotation for the full game, with creative subbing.

So happy for Silvio...now let's get Hampton and complete the recipe!

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.