Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Grimes returning?

• NotOstertag
  • NotOstertag's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
4 years 11 months ago #22840 by NotOstertag
www2.kusports.com/news/2019/may/16/jayha...s-and-dotson-report/

Seems as if a few sources are leaning toward a Grimes return. Bilas' comments are pretty interesting and he's somebody who a lot of people respect opinion-wise.

A month ago it was "100% gone".

Today, it's more like "75% gone".

It's moving in the right direction, IMHO for his future success. He's not going to make an NBA squad this year (can't imagine it), so another year (or three) of seasoning can only help. Whether he chooses to do that in the G-League or playing in Overseasball-istan, or returns to Lawrence is up to him.

So here's the question: Do we want him back, or should Self encourage him to transfer? I still think the kid had shown too much skill before this season for him NOT to be somebody that can help us. Then again, there seems to be plenty of folks out there who seem to have given up on him.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
4 years 11 months ago #22841 by HawkErrant
For me it all comes down to his mindset.

There was a lot of blow from his camp about not being happy with Self, and seeming to blame Self for Q’s not so one and done season.

If that is reflective of Q’s mind set, I don’t want him back. He’s got to want to be at KU.

If he’s coming back because he views it as the least worst option available to him because he won’t make the NBA this year, I don’t want him.

But if he and Self — and his teammates — still have good relationships, AND he *wants* to do another year of college, I’ve got no issues with him coming back and trying to reach some of the potential people saw in him out of HS.

But if it comes down to KU losing RJ Hampton — and perhaps his BFF Jalen Wilson — because Q returns, I would rather have the new kids.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bayhawk, wchawk, murphyslaw, newtonhawk

More
4 years 11 months ago #22844 by big g
im with you HE if not slightly more against. probably way too influenced by the recency of the vick experience which ended so badly, espec the part where he realized he hadnt improved his draft status so he just quit. while grimes is certainly not vick i am troubled by his delusional choice to leave this year which means that either he or his advisors are not able to honestly assess his status. feels like that cld very easily break down in a sophmore year if he continues to struggle.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant

• NotOstertag
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
4 years 11 months ago #22845 by NotOstertag
Good posts guys, thans. HE: I didn't hear anything about his supporters saying that stuff (not doubting it, just wasn't aware). Where are you hearing this stuff (assuming you can share)?

Big G: I think Vick is/was a very different kid. From everything I read (HE might know differently) Grimes had a good attitude and wasn't an off-the-court troublemaker. Granted, that's what I've heard, I could be wrong. Vick, on the other hand was an immature, me-first headcase with off-the-court issues. I definitely didn't want Vick back and Vick had at least shown that he was capable of playing at this level.

A little more on my take:
I think Self learns from mistakes. I mentioned some time ago that when Self tried to play Perry Ellis in the post, it was a bit of a disaster. After they BOTH learned that this wasn't a good plan, Perry moved over to his natural position and flourished. I am confident that Self and his guys have had time to identify Grimes' strengths and weaknesses and IF he were to come back, Self would adjust things so that he could flourish (thinking maybe like the occasional 'double point guard' lineup we saw when Frank and DeVonte were both on the floor at the same time and either guy could bring the ball up). In any case, I think Self can figure it out.

So it really comes down to Grimes, which makes me interested in digging in to HE's comments. If Grimes IS surrounded by a bunch of back slappers who want to blame Self, then I absolutely don't want that poison near the program. On the other hand, if Grimes is capable of growth and has an ability to learn from failure (as I think he does, but who knows) then I think it's good to bring him back.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot

• HawkErrant
More
4 years 11 months ago #22847 by HawkErrant

NotOstertag wrote: Good posts guys, thans. HE: I didn't hear anything about his supporters saying that stuff (not doubting it, just wasn't aware). Where are you hearing this stuff (assuming you can share)?

No insider knowledge on my part. But several Slant posters who do have connections have reported the camp issues. NOTHING with Q himself, but we are all aware of the impact of trusted “campers” on young men.

The way things are going the ride will be available if he wants to come back. If he does, I truly hope he makes the most of it.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

More
4 years 10 months ago #22848 by AZhawk87
Grimes' college/pro status gets more interesting as the combine goes along. His stats for basic athleticism are dismal. He's one of the slowest and least agile guards of the group. And he hasn't shot any better there than he did for KU last year.

I wish him well but it doesn't look like it's happening for him. Nor do his weaknesses appear to be ones that will significantly improve with one more year of college.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, Bayhawk

• NotOstertag
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
4 years 10 months ago #22855 by NotOstertag
Still hopeful that the guy from high school and the guy who impressed Self so much in the summer international games re-emerges.

What's also interesting is how WELL Dotson did, particularly in the scored/timed/measured stuff. If anything, Grimes came in as the top prospect, and in the end, Dotson looks like he'll have the better shot of playing in the pros when all is said and done.

I'm actually a little concerned that Devon will do TOO well in the combine and we won't get another year out of him. I think a lot of folks were ok with losing Grimes if we were keeping Dotson. Imagine the turmoil of Dotson goes and Grimes returns, lol.

The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, murphyslaw, newtonhawk

• HawkErrant
More
4 years 10 months ago #22888 by HawkErrant
Silvio is cleared to play and the likelihood is that Devon will return for his sophomore season to build up his NBA stock with a now potential NC team. Hot on the heels of the Silvio announcement came the sudden news Friday afternoon that instead of the first week of June RJ Hampton will be announcing his decision next Tuesday, the next to last day for early entrants to withdraw from the NBA draft. This almost immediate announcement by RJ tells me that Silvio’s status was one of the dominoes the Hampton family was waiting on, and makes me hopeful that RJ comes to KU.

If RJ does choose KU and Q does decide to return to KU, Self will still have one last ride available for RJ’s BFF Jalen Wilson, should Jalen decide — now that he has the chance to do so with RJ reclassifying — that he wants to play at least one year with RJ.

Of course it is possible that Michigan hiring Juwan Howard as its new HC may entice JW back to Ann Arbor, or Roy and MJ could lure him to the tarred ones, but if RJ says “KU” on Tuesday I like our chances for Wilson as well when he comes to visit KU a week from today.

Rock Chalk!

More
4 years 10 months ago #22890 by AZhawk87
There has to be a specific reason he chose to announce BEFORE final draft decisions by Grimes and Dotson, and a message by announcing the date now.

He might be telling Dotson to come back for one more year, get better, and play along side a real shooter and player.

And maybe he's telling Grimes "fugedaboutit" I'm coming to KU, to take your spot, I'm announcing before you have to elect to stay in the draft or return to give you one more reason not to return.

I like this kid's attitude already.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, newtonhawk

More
4 years 10 months ago #22892 by Illhawk
You have to like a kid who welcomes the idea of other good players at his position. A lot of the 1 n D are concerned with minutes or more typically shots/touches.

Sounds like his Dad has seen video of Frank's senior year with Devonte and Svi and LV all getting their touches. Add a few pros in the paint to grab boards and make it hard for opponents to help on defense and it could wash away the bad taste very quickly..
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, newtonhawk