Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

So are KU’s 2020 Recruiting fortunes changing?

• CorpusJayhawk
  • CorpusJayhawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
4 years 10 months ago - 4 years 10 months ago #22776 by CorpusJayhawk
Tristan Enaruna (sp) apparently just committed. Don’t know anything about him and can’t say if this is good or bad. I’d say if we get Tucker and Hampton we are top 5 quality. Really don’t need anyone else.

Don't worry about the mules, just load the wagon!!
Last Edit: 4 years 10 months ago by CorpusJayhawk.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, DrJHawker

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
4 years 10 months ago #22777 by DrJHawker
Enaruna is another 4-star player, Rivals #44, 6'10" forward with huge upside and pro potential. Sounds like an ideal pick up for this year. I'm with you Corpus, if we can land either Hampton or Tucker, it will be a very solid recruiting class.

www2.kusports.com/weblogs/tale-tait/2019...n-enaruna-picks-kan/

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
4 years 10 months ago #22778 by HawkErrant
Enaruna is a solid get. In Rivals final rankings for the 2019 class he jumped from #105 to #61, and he has spurted from initial reports of being 6-7 to now up to 6-10 and perhaps still growing. Will need Hudy. I did a little write up on him earlier in the pinned recruiting thread. www.rockchalk.com/index.php/forum/basket...ay-15?start=80#22722

Here’s Tait’s write up tonight. www2.kusports.com/weblogs/tale-tait/2019...n-enaruna-picks-kan/

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

• HawkErrant
More
4 years 10 months ago - 4 years 10 months ago #22779 by HawkErrant

DrJHawker wrote: Enaruna is another 4-star player, Rivals #44, 6'10" forward with huge upside and pro potential. Sounds like an ideal pick up for this year. I'm with you Corpus, if we can land either Hampton or Tucker, it will be a very solid recruiting class.

www2.kusports.com/weblogs/tale-tait/2019...n-enaruna-picks-kan/

Beat me to it, Dr J.

Note that he jumped 44 spots from 105 to 61.

Otherwise in lock step with ya, Dr J! And CJ as well, of course!

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
Last Edit: 4 years 10 months ago by HawkErrant.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DrJHawker

• HawkErrant
More
4 years 10 months ago #22780 by HawkErrant
And I now stand corrected.

I will swear that earlier today I read that he had jumped up to #61, but the Rivals 150 is indeed now showing him at #44, a 61 point jump from his previous 105.

Wow! Talk about blowing up!

• konza63
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
4 years 10 months ago #22781 by konza63
Yes!

Good get. Keep ‘em coming!

Rock Chalk...

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.

More
4 years 10 months ago #22782 by DrJHawker
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant

• HawkErrant
More
4 years 10 months ago #22783 by HawkErrant
His HS coach says 6-10, but the lad himself is quoted in articles I’ve seen saying he is 6-9. Rivals and 247Sports are going with that as well, and Tait’s articles are saying 6-9/205, so that’s what he’s listed it in the pinned recruiting thread.

Funny noting that 247Sports ranks him #61 — and no, that was not the source of my earlier error. I had not looked at his 247Sports profile in the past week.

FWIW, ESPN lists him #97 now, but 6-8/190.

• HawkErrant
More
4 years 10 months ago - 4 years 10 months ago #22786 by HawkErrant
Reposting from the recruiting thread to facilitate discussion...

Earlier RJ Hampton was saying he would make his decision end of July after summer school (needed so he can graduate in time for Fall 2019 semester).

Reports now are that he has moved his decision date up to the end of May, which coincides with the 29 May NCAA deadline to withdraw from the draft and retain eligibility.

So does this bode well for KU — he is ready to decide and wants to spend the summer focusing on finishing his HS coursework — or he is waiting to see what Dotson will do, and will make his decision accordingly? And will Dotson returning be a plus or minus in his decision matrix?

Things that make you go “Hmmm...”

• HawkErrant
More
4 years 10 months ago #22787 by HawkErrant

More
4 years 10 months ago #22789 by DrJHawker
Self loves combo guards. Dotson and Hampton in the same backcourt would be a dream.
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63, HawkErrant, wchawk

• konza63
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
4 years 10 months ago #22794 by konza63
It certainly would be!

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.

More
4 years 10 months ago #22795 by NotOstertag
This is all good, but after Grimes I have to borrow a little bit of Missouri logic and these guys need to "show me".

Don't get me wrong, I'd rather get highly ranked recruits, but I'll withhold judgement until they have some stats to look at, and they've acclimated to D1 ball (which varies pretty wildly).

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, wchawk, KMT, newtonhawk

More
4 years 10 months ago #22796 by JRhawk
Yes, IMHO, the rating gurus (Rivals, ESPN, etc) leave a lot to be desired. They had Barrett #1 and Zion W #5. Then after one year in college, Zion is heralded as the greatest player who ever lived (boo). Grimes at #8 seems way too high. I will take lower ranked guys who will stay 3-4 years and actually help the team. The OAD's can go somewhere else.

• HawkErrant
More
4 years 10 months ago - 4 years 10 months ago #22797 by HawkErrant
When you start talking projected OADs vs highly rated grad transfers (i.e., guys that have already proved they can play and play well in D1), since we’re only getting one year out of them, give me the GT.

Gurus like Eric Bossi write that Tucker (more a 3/4 than a 2/3 per EB) really isn’t competing against Hampton, so getting both would be huge, especially when DD returns (emanating positive waves for him to see the value of returning and going R1 next year versus staying in and going R2).

PROJECTED
Dotson/Hampton/McBride
Hampton/Tucker/Garrett
Tucker/Garrett/Braun
SDS/Enaruna/Lightfoot/?*
Dok/Big Dave/SDS

*KU still in finals for 5* PF Precious Achiuwa (Rivals Corey Evans just changed his prediction from Memphis to KU), and top line grad transfer F (3 or 4) TJ Holyfield.

Even if Silvio’s appeal is not approved, assuming Dotson returns, landing 3 — or even just 2 — of Hampton (projected KU), Tucker (looking good for KU after his visit here), Achiuwa (seeing gurus moving to KU) and Holyfield (have seen nothing one way or another game in recent days, but he really liked his KU visit) easily gives KU the best Spring recruiting haul (according to Rivals’ spring projections) and a Top 5 team with NC prospects heading into next season.

We should never rush life, it goes too bloody fast as it is, but man, I’m looking forward to the dust settling on this big picture!

The following user(s) said Thank You: Bayhawk

• CorpusJayhawk
  • CorpusJayhawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
4 years 10 months ago #22798 by CorpusJayhawk
NotO, I am channeling you totally. It is not just Grimes. We have had precious few super hyped recruits who have lived up to the hype. Wiggins was great but not quite up to the hype. Alexander, Shelby, Preston, Diallo all were well short. Embiid probably exceeded save for the very disappointing injury at the end. Josh Jackson pretty much met my expectations. The guys who have really been pleasant surprises are guys like Kevin Young, Tarik Black who were transfers that blossomed in the KU system. Jeff Withey, Frank Mason, Devonte’ and Travis Releford slowly blossomed over 4 years (or 5) but by the time they left were eye popping surprises. Grimes is close to being the top of the disappointment list. It seems at KU we have, on net, been probably more disappointed in the high profile recruits and have had most of our great moments on the backs of the surprises mentioned above.

Don't worry about the mules, just load the wagon!!

More
4 years 10 months ago #22799 by NotOstertag
Even the really great ones (except maybe Zion) still have a "breaking in period". Seems that at KU where Self has a system, it can take a little longer, it seems. Seems to me that on average, even a really great recruit isn't operating at 100% until New Year's day. Some obviously take longer.

In fact, I think that's my "over/under" on that kind of thing. It's good (and fairly exceptional) if a kid is operating at 100% before Christmas. It's more normal for a kid to come online in January. February is somewhat disappointing, but acceptable if a kid gets REALLY good (thinking somebody like Newman here). March is too late.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot

• HawkErrant
More
4 years 10 months ago - 4 years 10 months ago #22802 by HawkErrant
May 9, 10:15pm

In what is perhaps a sign of more good things to come, tonight folks are talking about KU now backing away from graduate transfer TJ Holyfield (as opposed to him choosing elsewhere, which TTBOMK he hasn’t as I write this). All the folks talking of this are saying it seems that Self & Co are thinking they are now closing on people who would be better options for the team they are trying to put together.

If true, good for KU and best of luck to TJ, who from all accounts is a solid young man on and off the court. I was really hoping to get to see him play in C&B.

• HawkErrant
More
4 years 10 months ago #22803 by HawkErrant

HawkErrant wrote: May 9, 10:15pm

In what is perhaps a sign of more good things to come, tonight folks are talking about KU now backing away from graduate transfer TJ Holyfield (as opposed to him choosing elsewhere, which TTBOMK he hasn’t as I write this). All the folks talking of this are saying it seems that Self & Co are thinking they are now closing on people who would be better options for the team they are trying to put together.

If true, good for KU and best of luck to TJ, who from all accounts is a solid young man on and off the court. I was really hoping to get to see him play in C&B.

UPDATE May 10, 8:53am

Apparently Self gave Holyfield a deadline of May 4 to commit. Holyfield didn’t. At least that’s the story coming out of both Champaign-Urbana and Lubbock, and being confirmed today by supposed KU insiders on JayhawkSlant.

And May 7 Enaruna commits.

Was Self looking at one versus the other, based on other prospects he’s anticipating landing?

No idea.

It’s now four Fridays since Silvio’s appeal was submitted back in April.
The day is still young.

The following user(s) said Thank You: boulderhawk, DrJHawker, newtonhawk