Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Chri$ Beard

• HawkErrant
  • HawkErrant's Avatar Topic Author
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
4 years 11 months ago #22726 by HawkErrant
www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/sto...ees-6-year-extension

Only Poach K and squid getting paid more. Extended through 2024-25.

Time to reup HCBS, Mr Long.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
4 years 11 months ago #22731 by JRhawk
I would say not so fast to the reupping of HCBS. I don't know how long his contract runs - also am not saying to pull the plug before that.
It's impossible to know why KU isn't getting some recruits - Matthew Hurt and Jeremiah Robinson-Earl (Rivals #7 & 10), given that both were on the Under 18 team that HCBS coached last summer. I'm guessing that the seemingly constant NCAA cloud has a lot to do with it. Unfortunately, it has been a pattern recently at KU - De Sousa, Preston, etc.
Now instead of guys staying four years (Mason, Graham, etc), we have guys looking (okay, maybe just testing the water) after one year, who IMHO aren't as good as either Mason or Graham.
Also, the transfer in record leaves a lot to be desired - of the two Lawsons and Moore, KU got about 1 year of quality play for 6 scholarship years. I realize there was a long game with the Lawsons, given two more brothers in the pipeline. Of course the third one chose Oregon and doubt the 4th chooses KU.
I just hope things get better, before they get worse.
The following user(s) said Thank You: boulderhawk

More
4 years 11 months ago #22732 by porthawk
Just b/c Pop was mentioned, I'll share this article/story that I recently read. Very enjoyable.

Michelin restaurants and fabulous wines: Inside the secret team dinners that have built the Spurs' dynasty
www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26524600/sec...-built-spurs-dynasty

• HawkErrant
More
4 years 11 months ago #22734 by HawkErrant

JRhawk wrote: I would say not so fast to the reupping of HCBS. I don't know how long his contract runs - also am not saying to pull the plug before that.
It's impossible to know why KU isn't getting some recruits - Matthew Hurt and Jeremiah Robinson-Earl (Rivals #7 & 10), given that both were on the Under 18 team that HCBS coached last summer. I'm guessing that the seemingly constant NCAA cloud has a lot to do with it. Unfortunately, it has been a pattern recently at KU - De Sousa, Preston, etc.
Now instead of guys staying four years (Mason, Graham, etc), we have guys looking (okay, maybe just testing the water) after one year, who IMHO aren't as good as either Mason or Graham.
Also, the transfer in record leaves a lot to be desired - of the two Lawsons and Moore, KU got about 1 year of quality play for 6 scholarship years. I realize there was a long game with the Lawsons, given two more brothers in the pipeline. Of course the third one chose Oregon and doubt the 4th chooses KU.
I just hope things get better, before they get worse.

His current contract runs through the AY2021-22 season, so 3 more years.

Hard to believe the NCAA cloud is not having some impact, but think it has more to do with developing OADs and frankly, $$$ available at Duke and UK. Thei leverage may change depending on the effects of the current Nike trial.

HS, I think you will see mostly 3-4 year players come in this year unless RJ Hampton reclassifies and comes to KU for his OAD season.

Agree with you on Preston and earlier Cliff Alexander, but really think De Sousa is a different category who will have grounds for a suit against the NCAA regardless of the results of his appeal, which we could learn tomorrow (7 business days after the formal appeal was submitted ended today) but should learn NLT May 17 (end of the 3 week period mentioned in the NCAA guidelines for the longer appeal process).

Only reason Dotson is looking now is his freshman year put him significantly ahead of where Frank and DG were as frosh. He develops his outside shot next year and gets some guys that know ho to get open and score off assists and he'll be gone as a soph, if not we'll see him until he does or until he's a senior.

As to transfer success, Self's had it in the past, but yes this past year wasn't as good as we had hoped, as you noted. The folks they are recruiting as grad transfers now (Holyfield and Tucker) will be excellent for him if the choose KU. And he might still go for a traditional transfer or two as well, depending on how things fall in place (or don't).

Bottom line -- (1) we aren't going to get anyone better in, (2) if Boeheim can survive Syracuse losing over 100 wins in its history, Self can survive at KU if the NCAA tries to come down on Kansas after they realize they are going to have to go after Duke and Arizona and every bloody body else in the bigs because of the state of the game today.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
The following user(s) said Thank You: JRhawk, porthawk, murphyslaw

More
4 years 11 months ago #22735 by JRhawk
HE - surely agree with #1 of your Bottom line. In retrospect, might be a good time for "a show of faith" extension for HCBS, noting that he has said he is in for the long haul.
The point I was trying to make (albeit not very well) was that when alphabet Duke coach was coaching the USA youth teams for years it seemed to give him an edge in recruiting - HCBS didn't seem to have the same luck. Not that Lester
Earl was a model player at KU, but one would have thought it might sway his son some.
Very unfortunate that KU took the NCAA volley first - but by the time it's all over, may not be many standing. A sad state of affairs for sure.

• HawkErrant
More
4 years 11 months ago #22737 by HawkErrant
Grimes was Bill’s big get, and that was from just one year as the USA coach IIRC. K did it for years, which I would think makes a difference, if for no other reason that he had more chances. I haven’t read anything about Bill doing it more. If he did I think he’d get more guys in.

Robinson-Earl: I had hoped for him, but in the back of my mind was always the fact that Lester played for Roy, not Bill. Think that was a factor. So was Jay Wright (a class act from everything I have ever read) and a program that had won 2 NCAA titles in 3 years. C’est la vie. >sigh<

I’m hoping that the coming end of the NBA OAD rules has a significant positive impact on the “behind the scenes money” aspect of the college game. I also hope that the NCAA loosens up on the amateurism rules. Student-athletes stopped being amateurs with the advent of athletic scholarships.