Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

NBA announces draft early entrants

• HawkErrant
  • HawkErrant's Avatar Topic Author
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
5 years 4 days ago #22703 by HawkErrant
pr.nba.com/early-entry-candidates-2019-draft/

175 collegians and 58 internationals.
Add in graduating seniors, say 300, for a total of over 500 candidates for NBA clubs to consider.

65 NBA Combine invitations.
60 (30 teams x 2 rounds) draftees,

I know a lot of guys are going for evaluation, but since there are only 65 Combine invitations, how much real evaluation is going to be provided?

Reminder for those who don’t read all the article - NCAA deadline to withdraw, fire agent and return is May 29, 10 days after the NBA Combine ends.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
The following user(s) said Thank You: murphyslaw

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
5 years 4 days ago #22706 by NotOstertag
Thinking that the relaxed "dip your toe in the water" rules have boosted the numbers. With 65 combine spots, I imagine once they're announced, you'll see a lot of guys enroll in fall classes.

65 is a workable number for evaluation. Most of them have already been scouted, so it's more a matter of seeing if the data lines up with what they saw previously. Very few of that 65 are unknown guys off the street.

Also keep in mind that a lot of the evaluation is pure data: height, weight, timed events, vertical leap, etc. You almost don't even need to see a guy if you've got good scouting happening beforehand.

I just hope I get one of those 65 invites. I just turned 50 and I'm thinking that the clock is ticking on my NBA career.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot
The following user(s) said Thank You: jaythawk1

More
5 years 4 days ago #22707 by murphyslaw
Good luck, NotO. I'll be thinking positive thoughts about you!

• HawkErrant
  • HawkErrant's Avatar Topic Author
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
5 years 3 days ago #22708 by HawkErrant

murphyslaw wrote: Good luck, NotO. I'll be thinking positive thoughts about you!

Ditto, NotO!:P

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"