Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Adidas contract renewal

• hoshi
  • hoshi's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 4 days ago - 5 years 4 days ago #22699 by hoshi
faninfo.kuathletics.com/nl/jsp/m.jsp?c=%...tUV%2BjFUc42IENIQ%3D

Read before commenting. Some interesting language in the press release.

“The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits”. Albert Einstein
Last Edit: 5 years 4 days ago by hoshi.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, Bayhawk, porthawk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
5 years 4 days ago - 5 years 4 days ago #22700 by porthawk
I was reading hoping to address the elephant in the room. Thankfully, in the sixth paragraph, it was addressed. Thanks for sharing, hoshi.

We have had candid and exhaustive conversations with adidas about the problems in college basketball, and throughout these discussions, adidas leaders have reiterated their commitment to strengthening internal processes, pursuing ethical business practices, and being a leader in addressing challenges in collegiate athletics. For these reasons, we are comfortable with – and excited about – extending this partnership.

Last Edit: 5 years 4 days ago by porthawk.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, murphyslaw

More
5 years 4 days ago #22701 by sasnak
oh boy...

It'll feel better when it stops hurting
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bayhawk

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
5 years 4 days ago #22702 by HawkErrant
3 major positive takeaways for me:

1. Emphasis on cleaning up the bs and keeping noses clean - CHECK!

2. More than TWICE the previous amount per year, clearly heavily influenced by KU leveraging the impacts, past and potential future (perish the thought!), from #1 - CHECK!

3. UNPRECEDENTED $0.5M per year for EDUCATION - Oh my!

Negatives for me:

1. No idea, in even a general sense, of what “other options” were actually pursued.

2. No idea of who the national colleagues were with whom they consulted.

3. Even with other athletic shoe/apparel companies now in the courtroom, adidas is still the one that’s taken the most damage (at least so far). May be a moot point down the road as more dirt comes out on Nike and Under Armor, but still cause to fret a bit about what folks at the NCAA think about KU keeping the same bedfellows.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

More
5 years 4 days ago #22705 by NotOstertag
You can only get so much from a press release after it goes through all of the PR and legal checkoffs. So of course this spins this in the most favorable light.

It's also unclear whether we were approached by Nike or UA to defect and if that helped bump up our deal.

In the end, we need uniforms and shoes, so we have to work with SOMEBODY and I have no confidence that Nike or UA are any better. I would hope, however, that somewhere deep in the negotiations that KU put Adidas' collective private parts in a vise and gave them a healthy squeeze by negotiating some kind of detail where Adidas would fall on the sword if any more nonsense comes to light. I think we're owed that much at this point.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant