Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Projected lineups 2019-20

• HawkErrant
  • HawkErrant's Avatar Topic Author
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
4 years 11 months ago #22632 by HawkErrant
My thought is to start with the assumption that Devon, Dok and Silvio will be back and Silvio eligible. From all I have read to date, I think this is not an unlikely scenario. And I believe we will know Silvio's appeal results by next Tuesday April 30, which would be 8 business days since the NCAA received his appeal yesterday April 18, one day past the normal 7 day period for this type of reinstatement appeal.

After adding in the two current signees, and assuming that tomorrow Cassius Stanley will be joining Matthew Hurt at Duke, the idea is to see who we need most from the remaining guys we (1) know and (2) hope KU is looking at:

HIGH SCHOOL
Precious Achiuwa PF 6-9/215 5* Rivals #16 To announce decision in May, exact date not set yet
Tristan Enaruna SF 6-7/205 4* Rivals #105 No announcement date yet TTBOMK
TRANSFER
TJ Holyfield SF 6-8/227 See link for more. Visiting KU on Monday April 22.
Some other available 3 point capable SGs from the grad transfer pool. For example, WAC POY SG Jake Toolson would be great, although I'm thinking he follows his former coach to Utah. Another might be SG Rayjon Tucker, who started out with Joe Dooley at FGCU before excelling last year at UA-LR.

RETURNING PLAYERS
SENIORS
F Mitch Lightfoot (S)
C Udoka Azubuike (S)
JUNIORS
G Marcus Garrett (S)
G Chris Teahan (W)
F Silvio De Sousa (S)
SOPHOMORES
G Devon Dotson (S)
C David McCormack (S)
G Ochai Agbaji (S)
G Garrett Luinstra (W)
G EJ Elliott (W)
FRESHMAN
G Issac McBride (S)
F Christian Braun (S)

FOUR SCHOLARSHIPS AVAILABLE

LINEUP IF KU GOT NO ONE ELSE
G Dotson/McBride
G Agbaji/Garrett
F Garrett/Lightfoot/Braun
F DeSousa/LightFoot/Braun
C Azubuike/McCormack

Looking at the above, that's not a bad lineup per se. With a least four rides still open, the single biggest missing link that jumps out at me is the lack of another proven 3 point shooter at G/F. Braun and McBride are both supposed to be good 3PT shooters, but they are unproven. Silvio's return doesn't help there (he took 0 treys in 20 games in Spring 2018).

For that reason I really hope Self can land TJ Holyfield. He is a proven 3 point shooter and scorer *and* a great defensive player who would almost certainly take the other forward spot opposite Silvio.

If Self could land WAC POY Toolson as another grad transfer he would be another 3 point shooter that would could challenge for the starting SG role. No idea how he is defensively (which would figure significantly in his PT) and don't know if he knows fellow Gilbert AZ resident Mitch or not.

Frankly, if both Dok and Silvio stay our chances of landing Precious Achiuwa will dimimish IMO. I would be surprised if their possible return is not at least one of the reasons that Precious is not deciding until late in May. But since he is a projected OAD anyway, if Dok and Silvio are available I'm hoping Self & Co will find a long, quick 3 point shooter or two to complete the picture for 2019-20.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
The following user(s) said Thank You: gorillahawk, wardhawk, porthawk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.