Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

KCStar: Big 12, ESPN+ deal: Some KU games will be streaming only next year

• HawkErrant
  • HawkErrant's Avatar Topic Author
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
4 years 11 months ago #22543 by HawkErrant
Link
Excerpt from KC STAR (Blair Kerkhoff, April 10, 2019)
Third-tier media rights that have been owned by Big 12 schools will now belong to ESPN, the conference and cable sports network announced on Wednesday.

Among the biggest changes: Kansas Jayhawks basketball fans will need a subscription to the ESPN+ streaming service to watch the two exhibition and four KU nonconference games that have previously aired on local cable and TV networks.

Entities like the Jayhawk Network will no longer exist. Content that formerly appeared on those networks will be available through the Big 12 branded ESPN+ platform.

Kansas, Kansas State, Oklahoma State and Baylor will join ESPN+ starting the 2019-20 school year. Iowa State, TCU, Texas Tech and West Virginia join for 2020-21.

Note well: ESPN+ is just $4.99 a month.

I used ESPN+ quite a bit this past season and found it refreshingly easy to SET UP (required) and use compared to the old ESPN3. It does cost, but you can sign up for it for the months you want and then stop the service until your are ready to pick it up again next go-round. And there is a lot more to it that just the games, to include other shows (e.g., 30 for 30 specials) on demand.

Another plus: You don't need to worry if you have to be out but forgot to set up your DVR to record the game for later. It's there on ESPN+.

I do NOT recall if ESPN+ carries the CBS games, or if they simultaneously stream the ESPN games? Would be great for cable cutters (or wannabes such as I) if it does. Would practically eliminate my need for cable or satellite TV. But since you have to input your ESPN provider in order to do your one-time setup of ESPN+, that probably eliminates the cable cutting option.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bayhawk, murphyslaw, jaythawk1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
4 years 11 months ago #22547 by NotOstertag
If you don't live in the area, this was already the case. I had to pay for 2 months of ESPN+ to watch a couple of the very early cupcake games. Significant games that will get ratings still tend to go to the national network.

CBS does it's own deal. If they still have rights to some of our games, they'll either run nationally (usually do) or be subject to regional coverage (used to be the case more frequently several years ago now not so much).

ESPN+ isn't awful. Since it's streaming it kind of depends on your internet speed, and I'm able to stream it to my TV so I don't have to watch on my computer.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, jaythawk1

• HawkErrant
  • HawkErrant's Avatar Topic Author
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
4 years 11 months ago #22549 by HawkErrant
I definitely recommend watching on the TV. I only had it on my iPad last season when I was watching one game on the TV and wanted to look in on another at the same time.

Let me also put in a plug for ROKU, which has the ESPN+ app. We have smart TVs in our house, but their built in streaming software doesn’t get updated that often. We also had one set where it seemed like the apps were having issues. We bought a ROKU dongle (programmed thumb drive with remote control) for it, plugged it into a USB port on the TV and never looked back. We are extremely pleased with the product. It’s like having a brand new “smart” part of the TV for less than $50. (There are several varieties of ROKU, prices range from $30-$60 depending on device you want.)

Fair and Equal Time notice: the ESPN+ app is also available with Amazon Fire TV and Chromecast. Research them and choose the one that’s best for you.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
The following user(s) said Thank You: jaythawk1

More
4 years 11 months ago #22552 by NotOstertag
I have the chromecast which is similar and very easy to use. My only knock on it is that since it's a google product it works much better off my android phone and PC and is slightly less user friendly with my wife's IPhone and MacBook. Still works with both, but it's more seamless in the google ecosystem.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, jaythawk1