Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Grimes is gone

• NotOstertag
  • NotOstertag's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 1 week ago #22539 by NotOstertag
Huge mistake as I see it. Declaring but hasn't confirmed an agent. Nevertheless all indications are that he's gone for good.

I don't see it. Maybe he gets drafted this year, maybe not. If he came back and had a breakout year, he'd have a shot at solidifying his status.

On the surface, it's a mistake. Just wondering if he knows something we don't.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot
The following user(s) said Thank You: murphyslaw

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
5 years 1 week ago #22540 by HawkErrant
KUSports.com link

I read the article, and I think the kid is deluded. It seems clear from the article and what we have read and heard all along that leaving after one was always the plan and he has decided to stick to it. He can come back, though, even if he does get an agent, as Tait explains in the article (excerpt below).

My thought is if the kid doesn't want to be here it is better that he go. And I hope Self does NOT do a Vick boomerang with him unless KU simply comes up flat recruiting, because I think we will just see much of what we saw with Vick this year if he comes back... just not in to it for much of the season.

Even if he does hire an agent, Grimes’ could retain his college eligibility in a couple of ways.

The first kicks in if he requests and receives an evaluation from the NBA Undergraduate Advisory Committee. Such a move would allow him to work with an agent — who must be certified by the NBA Players Association — through the pre-draft process and still return to school provided he pulls his name out of the draft pool by the May 29 deadline.

The second would allow him to retain his representation all the way through the draft but would require two things following the June 20 draft. First, he would have to go undrafted. Second, if he does not get picked and wants to return to KU, he then would have to sever all ties with his agent before returning to Kansas.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
The following user(s) said Thank You: murphyslaw, Wheatstate Gal, jaythawk1

• Wheatstate Gal
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 1 week ago #22541 by Wheatstate Gal
Young man’s gotta do what he’s gotta do. Seemed like a good kid, who started on fire and dimmed from there.

Hope the pro game is more his style. :-D

• konza63
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
5 years 1 week ago #22546 by konza63
Swami says: “I see Greece or Israel or Beijing in your future.”

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wheatstate Gal

• NotOstertag
  • NotOstertag's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 1 week ago #22548 by NotOstertag
Yep, Konza. Hope he likes exotic foods because he won't be playing where hamburgers, hot dogs, or apple pie are regular menu items.

I wouldn't be floored if he came back. If he gets feedback from the NBA that his game isn't ready, I would think KU would be a better option than Croatia or Serbia. I also think it would be different than the Vick situation. Vick always seemed to be kind of a problem child, whereas I haven't heard of any behavior issues with Grimes.

I still think it's a remote thing, but if it were to happen I'd have a very different view of it than I did of the Vick situation.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot

• texkan
  • Ring my Bell, if you can find it! ;)
More
5 years 1 week ago #22550 by texkan
...might need a relief driver this season? thank you, texkan :P

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
5 years 1 week ago #22551 by HawkErrant
I think we all agree that Vick was something of a head case, and I also don’t believe Grimes is similar to him in that regard. I have, however, heard whispers of him not having the strongest work ethic on the team. Nothing corroborating that, so don’t know for certain.

Regardless, it is never a good thing when one opts to leave a situation with no intention of coming back (which fits this situation from everything I have read) and then finds oneself having to return because one totally overestimated one’s prospects. Especially if school was never really something one wanted to do or continue.

Returning under such circumstances is always going to be much harder and require even more emotional and physical effort than before in order to succeed. Not saying the kid couldn’t do it, am saying I don’t think it would be worth KU’s while to do it.

Like you, NotO, I don’t see him returning. Should he surprise us and do so, I hope he surprises me again and again with his attitude and play.

Whatever he chooses, I hope it works out well for him.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
The following user(s) said Thank You: NotOstertag, murphyslaw, Wheatstate Gal

More
5 years 1 week ago #22553 by Kong
It doesn't make sense, but I will say this about him. I don't recall anything negative about him in the locker room. I never saw anything negative from him in the press. He has always conducted himself quite well.

Did he live up to the hype of a OAD who spent time in the summer at a high level earning accolades? Nope. But other than not living up to that hype, he has been a good kid and a good Jayhawk.

I wish he would have stayed and developed under Self at KU so that KU would continue to improve as well, but it just wasn't going to happen. I wish him the best and hope that it works out for him.

Visualize Whirled Peas
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63, wardhawk, murphyslaw, Wheatstate Gal

More
5 years 1 week ago #22567 by CorpusJayhawk
First and foremost, I wish Quentin all the best. I truly do hope he succeeds in his quest for the NBA. I hope that everything I am about to say is wrong.

I seems to me that Quentin is completely deluded. He seems to be suffering from dreams and hopes being disconnected from reality. His head was filled with lofty dreams and expectations his senior year. He was an 18 year old young man who was receiving national attention and was being told by the pundits that he was a year away from making millions and receiving fame. Thise dreams grew and grew and became his de facto reality. Then the data started rolling in. He seemed to prove all the pundits correct n the first game of the season when KU defeated a Final Four bound MIchigan St. and Grimes had a spectacular game. Clearly he had some skills and ability. But that is pretty much where the positive data ended and the reality of negative data began. For the vast majority of the remaining 35 games, he showed skills and abilities that would objectively classify him as an average (at best) collegiate level basketball player. He showed no superior ability to shoot, to handle the ball, the distribute, to lead a team, to drive to the rim, to defend with tenacity, to be a defensive stopper, to show superior mental toughness...in short, he showed not a single skill that would set him apart form hundreds of other college athletes. His athleticism was average at best. His strength was average. I will go as far as to say, had his pre-season rankings been magically wiped clean and he had to earn his time purely with his play, that he would not have started and would likely not have played many minutes. I admit, I am not fully up to speed on what attributes that NBA scouts judge players, but based on my reasonable sense of it, he showed none that would make him worthy of actually locking him in with a draft pick. He is the quintessential type of player that teams will take their chances on pulling out of free agency after the draft. Heck, I would rate him well below Svi and Malik and look where they are. I mostly feel for the young man because I think he has been deluded and received poor advice.

Having said all of that, I think this is better for KU. Again, that is my non-expert opinion based on my assessment of what I judge his potential. I think the minutes he would have been likely to have next season would be better going to guys who minght be better next year but have much better growth potential. He might be a higher ceiling guy than I give him credit for. But I do not see it at this point. it seems to me that Self felt some compulsion to play him in hopes of an emergence. It never happened. Not even close. Not even incremental growth of any kind, at least not significant. Heck, at this point I have more hope for Braun and McBride to be steady growth contributors given a chance to play. And possibly losing Grimes will open up a spot for Cassius Stanley or a transfer player that will be more impactful.

I do wish him the best. I am not critical of him personally in the slightest. Quite the opposite. I hope all I said was incorrect. But that is how I see him objectively as a basketball player. I was against Vick returning after he pulled the “I’m leaving” routine. This is a new phenomena, the “I’m leaving, no I’m returning” option from the NCAA. It has not worked well for KU in our one experience. That makes me a little jaded. I think we would all see some truth to the proposition that Vick played hero ball looking to up his draft status. His head was all about himself and not necessarily about the team. That is bad chemistry and bad mojo. I’m not saying he was disliked or anything specific, only that I think he exhibited a pattern of behavior that showed he was desperate to prove himself. I say if Grimes come back hat in hand, that would be a tough call depending on who else we have signed by then. But I would not automatically take him back. It waould be a little more deliberative decision.

Don't worry about the mules, just load the wagon!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, boulderhawk, porthawk, murphyslaw, Wheatstate Gal, jaythawk1

More
5 years 1 week ago #22570 by Kong
I thought he might have potential to develop into a Svi type player had he stayed. Svi was a guy that they hype preceded him and he had to sort of grow into it.

I was hoping for the same with Grimes.

Apparently he was willing to do that. I wish the kid the best. Other than not living up to the hype, he seemed like a good kid. Never head him complain or anything.

Good luck

Visualize Whirled Peas
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, Wheatstate Gal

• konza63
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
5 years 1 week ago #22589 by konza63
That's a really good analogy, Kong. Svi was exasperating at times early on. Couldn't play defense worth a lick, had no driving penetration ability at all, and couldn't consistently do what he was billed to do - shoot the long ball.

We all know how that worked out. Grimes definitely *could have* been that type of player, but at this point it looks like we'll never know. (And he didn't have the steady patience and humility that Svi had - witness his staying 4 full years to develop a well-rounded game - so that's a big differentiator)

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wheatstate Gal

• Wheatstate Gal
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 1 week ago #22591 by Wheatstate Gal
Wasn’t Svi like 12 when he came to KU?! Actually I think he might have been 16 soon to turn 17.....he was a young ‘un! And I generally recall 4 years of conversations on this board about svi’s sloooooooow development.

I so wanted Q to flip the switch...he couldn’t find it. Best wishes young man.....

I was thinking yesterday......our cupboard looks bare but it isn’t empty.

But.....Devon is puzzling.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant

• Wheatstate Gal
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 1 week ago #22592 by Wheatstate Gal
“My thought is if the kid doesn’t want to be here It is better that he go.”

WELL SAID, Brother HE, well said.

And PLEASE no more boomerangs.

More
5 years 1 week ago #22602 by Senex68
Test

"When you have a ruling class that doesn’t believe in — or even much like — the fundamental values of the nations it rules, things tend to work out poorly.”

Glenn Reynolds
The following user(s) said Thank You: texkan