Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Question about Silvio's decision

• NotOstertag
  • NotOstertag's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 1 week ago #22522 by NotOstertag
It looks like players have until the 21st to make a decision to stay or go. Today is the 9th, so that's 12 days away.

Last time we pushed the NCAA in this case they strongarmed us into calling the Adidas scammer an "agent" and then turned that around to use against us. They also stuck Silvio with a larger than expected penalty.

Now we sit, 12 days until Silvio needs to decide. Based on history, I would expect that the NCAA wants to avoid making a decision and is trying to run out the clock.

Does anyone know if the NCAA is under any obligation to rule in a timely manner. In a worst case scenario, Silvio would put his faith in the NCAA, miss the draft, and then STILL be banned from playing.

Am I missing anything? At this point, the NCAA is seriously screwing with Silvio's future career which is unforgivable.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot
The following user(s) said Thank You: gorillahawk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
5 years 1 week ago #22523 by HawkErrant
The NCAA does have a target timeline it tries to meet, but I do not remember it right now, and do not recall where I read about it to readily review the info.

I do recall that a fudge factor is the timeline doesn’t kick in until they determine that a proper and complete request has been received.

So yeah, I’m sure they can come up with something to kick the can down the road in hopes of not having to decide on his case.

If Silvio declares I doubt very much anybody picks him. Maybe he’d get one of the limited number of NBA Combine invitations and have a chance to impress there, but the odds are that he would have to make a team as an undrafted invitee. Given that, and since he can do that at any time, it seems to me that the April 21 deadline to declare for the NBA draft is not as huge for him as it otherwise would be if he had been able to show his stuff this year.

I so want him to sue the bastards once his college time is done (wait so he avoids retaliation from them). The Cam Newton rule as applied in his case has, to my semi-trained legal mind, no legal legs to stand on.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

More
5 years 1 week ago #22524 by sasnak
What the NCAA has done to this young man is criminal. I agree that Silvio needs to sue them . The entire thing makes me incredibly angry. Maybe this Nike thing will blow up like the Adidas scandal and more rocks will be lifted.

It'll feel better when it stops hurting

More
5 years 1 week ago #22525 by AZhawk87
I don't know what to think about any of this NCAA stuff anymore. There has to be so much going on between KU and the NCAA that we'll never know or hear about. I don't believe that the NCAA is sitting silently making KU and Silvio wait. There's no way KU's president or AD would just sit on their hands and wait without at some point making a big fuss about it. And, if the NCAA really duped KU into admitting the Adidas guy was a booster and then penalized us for it, KU would be raging against the NCAA for being deceptive and deceitful. But KU isn't doing any of that, at least publicly.

Never forget that the NCAA is a member institution, organized and overseen by the very schools that are now claiming they're getting shafted by it. How did the schools allow the NCAA to get so much power, and if it's really broken, then where are the school presidents and AD's saying the NCAA needs to be fixed?

Maybe there are so many non bluebloods that they're all sitting back laughing that the bluebloods are now getting their due for dominating and cheating. Maybe the NCAA is doing exactly what the uber majority of member institutions want it to do - hammer the elites who have gone to the dark side with the shoe companies. Maybe, just maybe, the NCAA is working perfectly for the benefit of its members at large. And maybe KU is at the top of the heap, being the largest and most important school affiliated with Adidas, who invented the underworld of shoe company financial manipulation of amateur basketball.

I have concluded that KU is neck deep in bed with Adidas, and we will get zero relief or assistance from the NCAA. Our punishment is no Silvio, ever, a black cloud hanging over our head, and some difficult recruiting years while the mess is sorted out. That's our punishment, and we better get used to it.

• NotOstertag
  • NotOstertag's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 1 week ago #22527 by NotOstertag
Good points, AZ. Let me clarify something though as I think it's relevant (and might explain why KU isn't up in arms publicly):

The news reports were pretty clear that the NCAA was requiring KU to label the Adidas guy as a "booster" in order to get a ruling on Silvio (I suppose that would mean that unless they labeled him as such, our request wasn't "complete"). KU pulled a bit of fast footwork and labeled him as a booster in a hypothetical sense relating to the Silvio case. That way, the NCAA couldn't get KU to admit that the Adidas rep was REALLY a booster, only hypothetically. The NCAA responded by screwing Silvio as a message to KU that they didn't appreciate KU being slick with language.

I still maintain that KU and most of the blue bloods aren't necessarily "innocent" of all kinds of nefarious recruiting shenanigans, but that they've figured out a system where no direct links to the university exist...no emails, no texts, no offical paperwork. Just a bunch of shady characters who work on behalf of both the shoe companies and schools, but who are deniable to both parties. If/when one of them gets caught, neither the shoe company or school claims to have any knowledge or involvement, and there's no direct and provable links. I think that's the reality with most of the teams with big hoops programs and I think the NCAA isn't coming to KU's rescue because the smaller schools don't care and the Blue Bloods are all willing to stay out of it if they're not under the gun.

That aside, I do think it's relevant that Silvio is getting screwed if the NCAA doesn't rule before the deadline (and Silvio should use this if he ever sues). At this point, if Silvio declared that he was leaving, it's quite possible that he COULD be invited to the combine, but at this point I'm not sure that it's an option. In any case, the NCAA, by delaying action, is removing the OPTION of Silvio having all of his choices available to him, which I think is highly manipulative and wrong.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot

More
5 years 1 week ago #22529 by AZhawk87
A note on Silvio: The NCAA's issue with him may go beyond the mere $2500 payment to his guardian. I remember when we got him at mid year, thinking "wow, that's a potentially bad precedent to set", getting high school kids to quit their HS teams and join a college for the March Madness run. Just like MLB teams who are in the playoff hunt trade for superstars with expiring contracts. Rental players if you will. But in this case even more a rental player scenario than the typical OAD.

Using this scheme, OAD kids could essentially skirt going to class entirely, if they enrolled in college in January, played for three months, then went pro.

I think the NCAA may look at KU and Silvio as a powderkeg of bad outcomes, and is sending a message to everyone to that these shenanigans are not going to be tolerated.

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
5 years 1 week ago - 5 years 1 week ago #22532 by HawkErrant

AZhawk87 wrote: A note on Silvio: The NCAA's issue with him may go beyond the mere $2500 payment to his guardian. I remember when we got him at mid year, thinking "wow, that's a potentially bad precedent to set", getting high school kids to quit their HS teams and join a college for the March Madness run. Just like MLB teams who are in the playoff hunt trade for superstars with expiring contracts. Rental players if you will. But in this case even more a rental player scenario than the typical OAD.

Using this scheme, OAD kids could essentially skirt going to class entirely, if they enrolled in college in January, played for three months, then went pro.

I think the NCAA may look at KU and Silvio as a powderkeg of bad outcomes, and is sending a message to everyone to that these shenanigans are not going to be tolerated.

Since the NBA is going to allow HS players to enter the draft soon, the “rental player” issue is a rapidly fading one, if it ever was one. We might still see OADs as kids the NBA is not initially interested in show their stuff at the next level, but it just won’t be the same concern.

And the course completion stats the NCAA requires the programs to keep would stop a lot of schools from allowing a player to do as you describe. The rule does have teeth. Uconn was kept out of postseason play a few years ago because of poor academic progress stats.

Oh, and a lot of the behind the scenes money is going to shift as well since the really hot names won’t be going to college.

No, I’m pretty sure the reason the NCAA long balled Silvio was the reported $60K that his guardian allegedly took. The NCAA specifically cited it as the reason... even though that alleged money supposedly came from a Maryland booster to get him to attend UM-CP.

And since Silvio did not choose UM-CP, I have always maintained:
1. Silvio’s actions demonstrated that he chose KU because he wanted to go there, not because his guardian took $, so no undue influence occurred (especially since both Silvio and his family deny any knowledge of the $, and there is zero evidence, certainly no money trail, that they ever got any of it). Accordingly Silvio should not be punished for that.
2. If that alleged $60K is why Silvio was punished, why isn’t Maryland being punished as well for lack of institutional control? KU has been back in the day when the NCAA perceived a KU booster, with no input from or knowledge on the part of KU, developed an influential and deemed inappropriate relationship with a player when he was a recruit.
3. KU has already agreed that the $2500 payment for the online HS course(s) to graduate early was paid by the guardian, but I would have fought that as well unless it could be shown Silvio knew it was adidas $ his guardian was using. Part of a guardian’s responsibility is to take care of such things. If Falmagne (sp?) had used his own $ for those courses the NCAA would have no gripe in that instance. So unless specifically told, why should Silvio think the $ came from anyone else? He would have no reason to think it was anyone else’s $.

I understand the concern of there being another shoe yet to drop, but there is no sense beating ourselves up in advance about something we can do nothing about. Just have to hope the AD does better in the future than they did with Silvio’s last bid... and that there is no other shoe. Can also hope that Nike - Duke blows up, which would detract from all the attention being paid to KU by the media, NCAA and college hoops fans and recruits.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
Last Edit: 5 years 1 week ago by HawkErrant.
The following user(s) said Thank You: gorillahawk, wardhawk