Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

I’m getting nervous about next year

• konza63
  • konza63's Avatar Topic Author
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
4 years 11 months ago #22489 by konza63
See pinned recruiting thread...

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
4 years 11 months ago #22490 by CorpusJayhawk
If Udoka returns and IF De Sousa is ruled eligible I am reasonably sanguine about next year's team. I think Dotson is on a trajectory to be a great PG, AA potential even. I still like Big Dave McCormack's potential to anchor the middle and if he can do that spelling Udoka for 15-20 minutes per game all the better for his development. I still have not seen where Grimes is a starter quality player so my biggest concern for next season barring any additional signees is will anyone emerge as a legit shooting threat from the perimeter. Agbaji showed signs but has a long way to go. Garrett is more of a liability from the perimeter. Dotson will get more aggressive but is not a prototypical long-range bomber. Will McBride of Braun emerge? That will be our big weakness. But with a more seasoned McCormack, De Sousa and Udoka manning the paint, we will pound it in and pound it in and pound it in. If either Udoka nor De Sousa return we are in desperation mode for new recruits both in the backcourt and frontcourt. We could easily start the season outside the top 25. We desperately need to add some perimeter scoring (that is not a defensive liability) and a solid frontcourt guy if De Sousa and/or Udoka do not return. If we add Hurt and Stanley, and De Sousa returns, I feel pretty good about next year. Right now next years team could be as good as a top 10 type team (add Stanley and Hurt and possibly Precious or a Juco transfer perimeter player) or we could be in the bottom half of the Big 12 type team meaning somewhere in the 30's. This off-season is one of the most consequential in recent memory for the Jayhawks.

Don't worry about the mules, just load the wagon!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63, HawkErrant, murphyslaw, newtonhawk

More
4 years 11 months ago #22493 by NotOstertag
I'm not counting on Dok or DeSousa being around next year. Dok could go in the 2nd round this year so he's 50/50 on his stay/go plans, IMHO. I still think that the NCAA will continue to put the screws to KU and DeSousa will either continue to get the cold shoulder from the NCAA, or the NCAA will give us back DeSousa and hit us with some kind of other penalty. In either case, I have no confidence that Silvio will be let out of the doghouse, which is infuriating.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63, HawkErrant, gorillahawk

• konza63
  • konza63's Avatar Topic Author
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
4 years 11 months ago - 4 years 11 months ago #22497 by konza63
It’s precisely that scenario, NotO, that has me anxious.

Because then not only would we not have perimeter shooters to complement DD, we would lack interior talent and depth to go with Big Dave.

And regardless of scenario, we’re now having to recruit against the likes of Duke for the prized remaining recruits and then find some diamonds in the rough among those not picked up (or transferring).

As Corpus notes, it’s a very consequential off-season.

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.
Last Edit: 4 years 11 months ago by konza63.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, gorillahawk, murphyslaw