Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Whether you love him or hate him as a broadcaster...

• porthawk
  • porthawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 2 weeks ago #22486 by porthawk
...the amount of work Dick Vitale does for cancer research should be commended.

www.si.com/college-basketball/2019/04/07...h-fundraising-donate
The following user(s) said Thank You: wardhawk, murphyslaw

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
5 years 2 weeks ago #22487 by AZhawk87
I'm sure he's a decent guy, but he and Bill Walton are cartoon characters when they broadcast. They play a role that promotes themselves, and the game takes a far second place to their self promotion. It's just not fun listening to them.

If you listen To Vitale for more than a couple games, you realize he has a script for every team, and he just spews out the script in between actual game action. Remember Jacque Vaughn, and how Vitale had a bit where he talked about JV's reading of poetry, and how that created a mindset that made him a good point guard. Every. Single. Game. He played that bit. Even though it was positive for KU, it confirmed he has 95% of his broadcast memorized, and occasionally talked about the game itself.

It's time for new blood. My wife has no idea who Kevin Harlan is, but she loved his calling of the tourney games. It was exciting, and it was about the game, not himself.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wardhawk

More
5 years 2 weeks ago #22492 by NotOstertag
Glad that Vitale is raising money, but I agree 100% with AZ about Walton and Vitale as announcers.

Walton is especially grating. All about him, UCLA and the PAC 10. Hey Bill, take a look at your alma mater and tell me how they're doing today. He's a clown who should be doing local radio play by play, NOT annoying millions on national TV.

Harlan is very good, BTW. Just call the game, and provide a little background that's RELEVANT to the action. Good: hearing about Chris Beard's unique practices or breaking down how the offense or defense works. Bad: Anything not directly relating to the two teams playing. Ok to mention where they are in their conference races, or something relevant to a previous or future opponent. That's it.

Here's the mind blowing thing: I'm sure ESPN hears the negative stuff about Walton, but there must be fans of his out there to offset it. Who are THOSE people?

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot

• Wheatstate Gal
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 2 weeks ago #22496 by Wheatstate Gal
I presume Walton’s antics are humorous to many.....tie-dyed tee shirt, changing shirts on air, personna of being “under the influence”.... same w vitale and his blathering. I get sick of the schtick. For those students of the game, I’m sure you are really annoyed that Their informative-ness (new word?)......ran out long ago

It’s insulting to the audience for those two to be given a mic and a forum for 2+ hrs.

If you can’t watch a game w/o the sideshow to add to the entertainment, I’m sad.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bayhawk